Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meandering the Macrocosm: Miami, Marrakech, Madrid and Maputo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Great report, I'm following every bit!

Strange behaviour from the QR border agent, did this happen recently? I heard the country is opening up for tourists by granting 4-day visas or something along those lines, but your experience with them is meh.. Were you traveling on a US (or Western) passport?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:28 am
Hut
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redadeco
Strange behaviour from the QR border agent, did this happen recently? I heard the country is opening up for tourists by granting 4-day visas or something along those lines, but your experience with them is meh.. Were you traveling on a US (or Western) passport?
Yeah, I thought so, even now reflecting on it... it felt, well unusual. It was back in September, I was travelling on my Kiwi passport, not that I think that would have much of an impact in Qatar?

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Oh Wow!!! This really is a TR of such intricate proportions. Am absolutely loving it, and am following with great interest. ^
Thanks!

Last edited by Hut; Oct 24, 2016 at 7:56 am
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:54 am
Hut
Original Poster

Part 13: Doha to Madrid (via Marrakesh)

Al Mourjan Business Lounge

Stopped by the lounge which was packed, went upstairs to check out the buffet but wasn’t hungry. The timing worked out for a Skype call home, so I spent the next 30 mins or so catching up with some family back in NZ.

I thought I took more photos, it would seem not – so here is the only one I got… the breakfast menu in the downstairs restaurant bit.

Qatar Airways QR1395
Boeing 787-8 (A7-BCZ)
Doha (DOH) -> Casablanca (CMN)
Depart 07:52, Arrive 13:03, Flight Time: 8:12

Boarding was from a remote stand today, when I rocked up at gate 20 they had an agent waiting at the premium queue who checked my boarding pass and asked me to take a seat, as there would be a separate call for business later.

As promised about 10 mins later there was a call for the business class passengers and we boarded the bus, after a couple of mins of waiting we were off on a tour of the airport. As an avgeek, I enjoy a good airside bus ride and this one exceeded expectations, managing to loop almost all the way around the terminal to find our plane.

It was warm, but not too hot outside and the AC nice and cool once we got aboard. The crew offered pre-departure drinks, amenity kits and menus for our trip over to Casablanca. Qatar's Dreamliners have their reverse herringbone seats, which I'd rate above the Cathay Pacific ones, they are pretty similar, but I find the winner is the storage compartment between you and the window which seems perfect for all my stuff.

The menus come in a set with the food in one, and the alcohol in the other. Here is what was available on the flight.The cabin was fairly full with five seats unoccupied, so I was impressed that the flight attendant working on the right side of the plane managed to get most of the meal orders done before take off.

The service started straight after take off and I couldn’t resist starting with champagne… and playing with the windows. Seriously, every time I get on a Dreamliner, I don’t know why, but I find myself changing the window shade setting thing constantly.

Qatar’s catering is certainly up there with some of the better airlines in business and today was no different, I went with the smoked salmon to start. Delicious.

The omelette came next, the asparagus was noticeably absent, so I’m not sure if the stewardess telepathically detected by dislike and picked it all out, or more likely the cook forgot to put it in, but that just made it better!

Having never seen many of the classics, I guess this would be the most opportune time, to watch this one!

A few movies later, and we are over Morocco.

By this stage I was feeling a little peckish, and asked for the cheese plate which appeared a couple of minutes later. I like that you get a good number of crackers, unlike the standard Cathay Pacific serving of two and three if you ask for extra…

Next came desert which was fantastic, shortly after the captain let us know we were about to start the descent, and what seemed like 20 mins later we were on the ground. As we taxied to the gate, the crew asked for all of us going onwards to Marrakesh to stay in our seats and have our passes available for inspection by the ground the team.

I often find it interesting staying onboard as the cabin is cleaned, the Qatar cabin crew stared off by collecting the blankets, headrests and pillow cases on the seats, while the cleaners followed replacing the linen, headphones and water bottles.

There were only 4 in business continuing onwards which was interesting as once everyone was off we congregated around the entrance way at door two, and had an interesting chat. Plus, it was the door with a great view! It took awhile for the new crew to arrive, and there was some friendly banter with the outgoing captain informing us that they were the better crew, but the replacements would still do a great job!

Once the cabin was clean again, we waited awhile for the passengers and then even longer as some of them decided to check in, but not get on the plane.

Qatar Airways QR1395
Boeing 787-8 (A7-BCZ)
Casablanca (CMN) -> Marrakesh (RAK)
Depart 15:03, Arrive 15:40, Flight Time: 0:37

Very sort hop to Marrakesh, crew brought around a selection of drinks on tray, but there were few takers.

As we deplaned in Marrakesh, business class had its own bus and two of the other four of us getting of had a different VIP bus waiting for them so it was just the two of us off to passport control. Arrived in the hall with the tail end of a previous flight being processed and after about 5 mins of waiting was through the boarder, stopped by the ATM and was off to find a taxi.

The touts by the taxi board wanted 200 dirham then 150 once I started walking, once I got to the taxis at the other end of the car park I got a ride for 50 dirham after a little back and forth and a walk, which I understand is more then a local but about right for a tourist…

Le Meridien Marrakesh

In life you often get what you pay for, and the Le Meridien is cheap…

Suffice to say next time I'll stay elsewhere, pillows are lumpy, shower curtain mouldy and overall a worn and not particularly well maintained place. But it was a 15 min walk from Jamaa el Fna, it was only for two nights and there were bonus points.

Salon Convives de Marque

Arrived at the airport a couple of hours early, as I read that apparently there can be queues, however there were none to be seen.

Stopped by the lounge which was close to empty, but a nice enough place to wait for your plane.

There was a range of food available, along with drinks and a coffee machine.

Iberia IB3341
Airbus A320 (EC-IZH)
Marrakech (RAK) -> Madrid (MAD)
Depart 13:35, Arrive 16:30, Flight Time: 1:55

Boarding began more or less on time and we walked out to the aircraft.

Leg room was sufficient for a 2 hour flight, seat was too, but it still sort of annoys me that they can sell an economy seat as business for such a premium in Europe... I suppose I should just shut up and take the points that comes with it.

Nice looking menu which was handed out be a very friendly crew.

Meal was great, well cooked chicken, interesting salad, and drinks kept topped up. Not really much more - a good short haul flight.

Arrived in Madrid, as much as I like the airport, it always seems like I spend 30 mins walking… probably because you generally do! After a long walk, I was on the train into town.

The Principal Madrid

I've had my eye on the Westin in Madrid for sometime, and I just never seem to stay there, between cancelled trips, exorbitant rates and on this trip, the need for a Design Hotels stay, I never seem to get there.

So, I'm not sure why, but I had low expectations for this one, based I think on the fact it wasn't the Westin, but this place exceeded them at pretty much every turn. The staff were fantastic, went out of their way to be helpful and the building itself was in excellent condition.

I ended up with an upgrade to a (slightly) larger room which was especially nice when you are staying for a few days. Room was lovely, however after trying the leather seat thing, well it's for looks only.

Next time I'm in Madrid, I'd be happy to say again.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:38 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Ah too bad about Le Meridien... we are going to Marrakesh next month and wanted to stay there on points :/
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Hut
In life you often get what you pay for, and the Le Meridien is cheap…
Unfortunately you often get what you pay at cheap properties than expensive ones.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:55 am

Wow, quite an epic trip! A cool mixture of flight and hotel experiences. All that time in the air would definitely leave me feeling abit dazed though.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:54 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Subscribed!

Last edited by miamiflyer8; Oct 28, 2016 at 9:37 am
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:22 am
Hut
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Unfortunately you often get what you pay at cheap properties than expensive ones.
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Ah too bad about Le Meridien... we are going to Marrakesh next month and wanted to stay there on points :/
Yeah, hopefully they find the $$ to fix it up sometime soon.

Originally Posted by DanielW
Wow, quite an epic trip! A cool mixture of flight and hotel experiences. All that time in the air would definitely leave me feeling abit dazed though.
Haha, yes I know that feeling.

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Subsribed!
Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:04 pm
Hut
Original Poster

Part 24: Madrid to Johannesburg

After a few great days in Madrid, it was time to head for Frankfurt. Retraced my steps on the train back to the airport, where check in was sorted in seconds and I was off to security. For some reason, LATAM business doesn’t get access to the fast track queue, which I find sort of strange given it’s a oneworld hub, but there was literally me and two other people going through, so it didn’t matter in the end.

Iberia Business Class Lounge

After more walking than one would think was strictly necessary, I found myself at the Iberia lounge.

The verdict, it’s pretty nice. Doesn't blow you away, but its well maintained, spacious and has a open and welcoming feel about it.

Food options were great.

I spent about an hour there and headed for the plane.

LATAM Chile LA704
Boeing 787-9 (CC-BGK)
Madrid (MAD) -> Frankfurt (FRA)
Depart 15:23, Arrive 17:18, Flight Time: 1:56

Boarding was underway as I got there, but with a widebody I didn't need to worry about space for my carry on.

LATAM has a 2 2 2 layout in their 787's, and having done the trip across the Southern Ocean on them can say they are excellent for sleeping. Toady, however there would be none of that!

I remember back when the Dreamliner was just that… a dream, and then those awkward periods where they were real, but not actually flying, well because they weren’t ready for service. So, now to see four of them all lined up next to each other took me sort of by surprise. Quantitatively, I know, that almost 500 have been delivered… but they still feel new.

Pre-departure drinks were offered, and came with nuts.

Once we were in the air, lunch was served which was excellent.

A couple of TV shows later and we were landing in Frankfurt. All in all an excellent short hop, and nice to do business class in Europe that isn't just a economy seat closer to the front.

This trip continued my love/hate relationship with Frankfurt Airport, having visited hundreds of airports, I don't often get lost or take the wrong turn, but a Frankfurt nothing seems to be where you think it should be, and the signs never seem to get you where you want to go.

Given I was staying at the Element near the airport, which doesn't have an airport shuttle, and that it was a nice day I figured I would walk. So I thought I would take the train to Terminal 2, I followed the signs and then clearly must have missed one and ended up outside at the bus stop... Oops

Once I found the train, I googled for directions on the ride over, to find no real instructions other than its a 10 min walk... so I stopped by the info desk on the way past to get directions... the answer, its too complicated to explain, go and take the shuttle to a nearby hotel and then walk!

Having not quite got the info I wanted, I wondered - well how complicated can it be, so I plugged the coordinates into the phone and off I went...

Not sure what was so complicated, you follow the signs for Gateway Gardens and it takes about 15 mins.

Element Frankfurt Airport

Things didn't start well when I was asked to pay for a late checkout - with the staff member insisting that SPG Golds were not entitled to late check out at Element hotels. She seemed very confident, so I figured it would be easier to ask the person on duty the next morning and headed for my room.

The room was in great condition, lots of space and comfortable bed. The sound proofing was clearly working, as I didn't hear any aircraft.

Kitchen didn't have much in the way of cooking appliances but had the basics.

The next morning I had breakfast in the cafe which was a basic affair, but did the job. On the way out the door I asked for a late check out - no issues, 4pm. Have a nice day.

After a day in Frankfurt I got back to the hotel at about 3:30 and after a quick shower headed for the airport. Not a bad stay, but I think they need a shuttle, on a nasty day or in the winter - I wouldn't be walking... and I pity the taxi driver that waits for hours to get a 2 minute fare.

Maple Leaf Lounge

Qatar use the Air Canada lounge in Terminal 1 and when they told me this at check in, I have to say I was somewhat disappointed, having sampled several Maple Leaf Lounges I wasn't expecting to find that this one was good. Really Good. Lovely decor, excellent food options and while it was pretty busy, it was still had a relaxed vibe. I thought I took some photos but I can't seem to find any.

Qatar Airways QR68
Airbus A350-900 (A7-ALE)
Frankfurt (FRA) -> Doha (DOH)
Depart 18:49, Arrive 01:07, Flight Time: 5:18

Boarding started about 10 mins late and buses were required, but there was a separate bus for business which filled up in 5 or so mins and then we were off for a drive over to the plane.

Spotted a nice S class… maybe one of the Lufthansa first class cars? As a somewhat compulsive list maker, I have a list of products I want to try… LH first, the terminal and transfers that go with it are definitely on the list.

Having tried to get on an A350 several times now and been thwarted by last minute equipment changes, work commitments and even a snowstorm I was excited to have my first flight on one.

It was great to be able to walk around the wing and get good look at the engine on the way past.

Champagne was on offer, and it would be silly to say no.

The tail camera was working, and illustrated the funny side of everyone boarding via the stairs while we were at a gate...

Menus and amenity kits were handed out, and refills offered on the champagne.

It took a fair while to get everyone aboard and we left half an hour late, but the captain reckoned we should make up the time in the air.

Drinks were offered after take-off, and having been tempted by the buffet the lounge I figured I might leave dinner for a few hours.

When it was time for dinner I ordered the Arabic meeze, which was okay.

And for the main I went with the gnocchi which was fantastic! I would have been happy with that at a restaurant, it was that good.

There was also cheesecake for desert - it too, was delicious.

A couple of movies later and we were approaching Doha, as promised, we made up the time and would be getting in more or less on schedule.

It took a while to get to the gate, so there was just under 30 mins until boarding began for my connection. Luckily we were allowed straight into the terminal without going through security again, which gave me time to stop by the lounge and have a quick shower.

Qatar Airways QR1363
Boeing 777-300ER (A7-BEC)
Doha (DOH) -> Johannesburg (JNB)
Depart 02:45, Arrive 9:33, Flight Time: 7:48

Boarding began on-time and although pyjamas were handed out, there wasn't any bedding. It took forever, it seemed, to get everyone on board, then it was bit of a wait for pushback plus a fairly long taxi.

There was a late night meal option, but I got changed soon after take off, put back the seat, and got a solid four and a half hours.

The crew were very proactive, and within a minute of putting my seat up I was asked if I would like breakfast, and I was eating and downing an espresso in less than 5 mins. The salmon starter was lovely.

The omelette was good, the mushrooms were great, but lamb very dry. So all in all - not bad.

Soon, we found ourselves approaching Johannesburg and then on the ground a little while longer. Generally, when arriving at JNB I have been lucky and 20 mins is about the longest I've ever had to wait at the border. Toady it was 1:20... not fun. Ah well - welcome to Africa I guess.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Hut

Soon, we found ourselves approaching Johannesburg and then on the ground a little while longer. Generally, when arriving at JNB I have been lucky and 20 mins is about the longest I've ever had to wait at the border. Toady it was 1:20... not fun. Ah well - welcome to Africa I guess.
It seems like this flight means long waits because the same happened to me. I don't think we travelled on the same day but I also had to wait very long. Not sure if they have staffing problems or what it is.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:10 am
Hut
Original Poster

Part 44: Johannesburg to Perth

After catching up with family in Pretoria, it was time to head home. I was dropped at the Gautrain station in Hatfield and headed for the airport. I do like the train, its efficient, feels safe, runs to schedule and the connection out to the airport is as simple as can be.

Once I got there, for some reason it took forever to check in the people in front of me, I was about 3rd in the queue in the premium area and spent 20 mins there, by the time I was leaving there were 20+ people lined up, and with only two agents on the go slow… it’s possible they might still be there!

Security was quick, but it was a 15 min wait at passport control, as I stood there I got a tripit alert saying my flight was delayed by 45 mins. No worries – I have tonnes of time to connect.

South African Business Class Lounge

Headed for the South African Lounge, which I quite like, breakfast spread was adequate and the coffee just as bad as I remember it to be. Skyped the family back home for an hour or so, internet was a little dodgy with the call dropping out five times or so.

South African Airways SA142
Airbus A319 (ZS-SFK)
Johannesburg (JNB) -> Maputo (MPM)
Depart 10:29, Arrive 11:11, Flight Time: 0:43

Boarding was called in the lounge and I headed for the gate, it was again, a remote gate and although there was a premium line, it turned out to be full of economy pax with more than one carry on and were getting them gate checked. In hindsight, the economy line might have been faster and by the time I got to the gate the first bus had left.

It turns out that taking photos airside in South Africa is a crime… as I was politely, but firmly informed by the one of the ground crew. So, this is likely my last airside photo in South Africa.

I thought because I was in business and South African is strict on their only one carry on item in economy policy, that overhead space wouldn’t be an issue… wrong call – I forgot that they have a 5 across business cabin on their narrow bodies. Which means you run out of space quick, luckily I found some space down by the emergency exit. Leg room was fine for a 45 min flight.

Service started about 20 mins after takeoff, starting with the offer of drinks, followed shortly (I mean less than a minute later) by a bite to eat. Which I thought was more than sufficient for a 45 min flight.

A little later and we were on the ground where getting through the border was a bit of an adventure.

Back when I initially planned this trip, the African leg was a week longer and I would be spending three days in Mozambique, however work constraints pulled forward the date I needed to be back, hence now I would be effectively in transit only.

Not finding much in the way of guidance on transit visas I emailed the nearest embassy for directions, who responded confirming that even with same day flights, I didn’t need a transit visa, and that would be eligible for a visa on arrival.

Fast forward a couple of months and I’m waiting in line to get my visa, and when I noted the airport as the place I was staying on the form, well that seemed to cause issues, so I was asked to wait while the rest of the flight was processed.

There was about 10 of us in the end, all sitting on some seats along the side of the customs area, and then each of us went in to see the supervisor, who had command of what seemed like a conference / break room next to the seats.

The first person who went in came back out in tears, it seemed she had been denied entry there was a requirement to get a visa in advance and had failed to do so. The second person, was similarly denied entry despite frequently visiting and having the requisite paperwork, although he didn’t seem fussed at all and simply called his local contact for assistance.

I was next and fortunately had printed out the advice from the embassy and had that with me, things started with a quick chat about my current travels, and why I was effectively in transit, at which point I was told I needed a transit visa. I explained the advice I was given by the embassy, and passed over the email which the supervisor read and noted, that the advice was “incorrect”. My visa application then had transit written on it, signed and then my passport leafed through several times.

I got the distinct feeling that this was the most appropriate time to offer a bribe.

Now, as a frequent traveller I recognise there are many different types you can encounter, there is the first-time traveller, the experienced business traveller, the incompetent traveller and even the drunk Australian… but my preferred persona for these times is the smiling idiot.

So, I basically stood there politely, smiling like an idiot for a couple of minutes not saying a word as the supervisor leafed through every page in my passport five times, after it became apparent I wasn’t going to be offering anything, I was told that as I was in transit, I could sit and wait outside, and should come back in 90 mins before departure of the Qatar flight, plus they kept my passport.

As I sat back down, I got out a book and as I read the others were processed, a couple of folk were allowed in, but several more denied entry.

The same scene played out for the next couple of flights that came through, although I would note that several people who could procure local contacts to come and have a private discussion with the supervisor were subsequently allowed to leave. I do wonder what happened in those closed-door sessions…

Several chapters later and it was now 90 mins to departure, but the supervisor was nowhere to be found, I asked around with the other staff, but no-one knew, about 10 mins later she arrived, and was talking to the local contact of one of the people sitting with me. As I watched the check in close time get closer and closer, I knocked on the door at about 1 hour 10 mins before departure of the Qatar flight and noted that check in would be closing in 10 mins.

I was handed back my passport with the words “no visa required today” and with a nod from the supervisor to the border agent at the nearest desk I was waved through.

Talk about stressful.

Literally 2 mins later I was all checked in and heading for outbound passport control, and wondering if I would have any issues getting out… which it seemed there could be when the first officer leafed through my passport looking for the entry stamp, which of course I didn’t have – but he just pointed be towards the supervisor who was standing against the wall.

I handed him my passport, inbound and outbound boarding passes, and he just waved me through.

By now, they were calling for the boarding of my flight, but it turned out the gate we were boarding from was the bus / walking gate and they were already boarding a different flight. As ours was second, I headed for the lounge in search of a drink.

LAM Flamingo Lounge

The LAM lounge is a small room off the concourse, WIFI was broken but there was a small selection of drinks available.

There was some food on offer and the lounge had a view over the car park.

Qatar Airways QR1362
Boeing 787-8 (A7-BCJ)
Maputo (MPM) -> Doha (DOH)
Depart 15:24, Arrive 23:59, Flight Time: 7:35

Boarding started about 20 mins after the announcements started and we walked out to the aircraft.

After getting aboard I felt like a champagne having survived by encounter at the boarder, however didn’t want to temp fate, so when with an orange juice.

Amenity kits and menus were handed out.

After 20 mins we were in moving and had a very light load of 10 in business. All I can say is I was very happy to be on the plane after spending an hour wondering if I would make the flight.

Once we were airborne I had that champagne, and then a few more.

I went with the prawns for the starter which were very good.

I requested the chicken machboos for the main which was even better.

Next came the cheese platter, although I did need to ask for extra crackers.

Desert came last, and was the best of them all.

I do love the mood lightning and layout - it looks great - even if it isn't the most functional. Watched a few movies and then after taking the scenic route around Doha and the surrounds we landed and taxied to a remote stand.

Another bus! This one however, was fitted out with extra large seats, much nicer than the standard bus that I took the week earlier. Security seemed chaotic with people everywhere but it was remarkably efficient as it only took a couple of minutes to get through.

Al Mourjan Business Lounge

Headed for the business lounge which was once again packed, given I generally arrive and depart at peak times and head into the city on long layovers I don't normally see it any other way!

I took a look at the menu and requested a champagne, which I was assured was the good stuff.

The smoked salmon sandwich was great for a quick bite to eat.

Qatar Airways QR902
Boeing 777-300ER (A7-BAK)
Doha (DOH) -> Perth (PER)
Depart 03:19, Arrive 18:30, Flight Time: 10:11

Boarding began a little late, but took forever as did the push back and taxi. In the end we took off almost an hour late, which was a little annoying as I wanted to sleep.

Menus, amenity kits and pyjamas were handed out, and there was bedding available on this flight.

After takeoff I got changed, and as I headed for the bathroom the crew proactively offered to sort out the bedding which was nice, given they were busy preparing the meal service for those who would be eating.

I went to sleep and got a solid 5 hours, which was a little more than I wanted, so once I was awake I started the new day with some coffee.

And followed that up with the scrambled eggs - which were again excellent. I have to say the Qatar catering really is outstanding for consistently delivering good business class meals.

Having watched almost all of the movies on the IFE, I watched several TV shows, and soon we were descended through the clouds on approach to a rainy Perth.

We got in just behind a couple of other flights consequently, passport control was a mess. Normally, as a Kiwi I can use the automated machines, however due to the Yellow Fever vaccination requirement for those travelling to some parts of Africa, I would need to talk to an agent anyways. I am fortunate enough to have an APEC Business Travel Card, so could use the empty air crew lane. I do often get a gruff what are you doing in this line, but as soon as they see the APEC card – it’s all good.

After a quick check of my vaccine card, I was heading for the bag claim where the customs queue was massive, however again the air crew lane was a lifesaver and I was though in seconds.

So, that’s it.

Another around the world trip done, and my first trip report ever – so I’d appreciate any constructive feedback on the report, and what could make the next one better!

Thanks for reading.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:28 pm

I've just read through this report - wonderful! The process in MPM seems like a massive hassle... the country seems very crooked. I'm looking at a stay in southern Kruger, as was thinking that Maputo might be the easiest place to fly out of being so much closer than JNB, but I think perhaps not...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.