Tokyo, Thailand, Siem Reap, Saigon, Kuala Lumpur & Singapore in J

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by adampenrith
Thanks for sharing

PMSL

In KL I have always found money boys to be flaky - but never had an issue with other friends via the apps
In KL there was noooooo problem at all on Grindr from the normal guys. Not sure if a potential buggery conviction was a turn on not.

SGN I felt there were more MBs than I've seen anywhere else including when you're online in BKK around Soi 4.
SIN since I was staying in Chinatown my app was mostly full of them because it seems they all live or congregate at the People's Place tower or whatever the apt complex is called at Chinatown MRT.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
My experiences are pretty similar.

Not sure what the story is in KL.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Malaysia Airlines 737 J KUL-SIN

Turns out the Grand Prix was the weekend/day that I was leaving. Fortunately I was leaving early enough to beat most of the traffic the driver said. All that was really noticeable was a few more cars in the toll stations.

Empty and efficient check in. I booked J because it was nothing to come along with priority, bag allowance, lounge, etc.

Didn't need this card at all, there was no one in immigration lines.

The lounge was great. Lots of space, comfortable, big windows, sooth decor, a spa and lots of food.

Security is at the gate a la SIN or TXL so I made my way out a few min before to look for something to buy my nephew in the airport before I exchanged my ringitts. There's literally nothing aside from booze and chocolate. That is all I could find, no souvenir gift shops.

Left on time, friendly crew. Quick 55 min hop down. Served this little satay plate and beverages.

No IFE but listening to the silver haired gent in front of me salivate and flirt with the younger male FA was waaaaaaaaay better than anything I could have watched on TV.

Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: BA, KL
fantastic report and amazing photos..thanks for sharing. A bit of an UNDFTD fan?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brixton
fantastic report and amazing photos..thanks for sharing. A bit of an UNDFTD fan?
LOL yes but only for the black, white or grey things with just the hatch marks on it not so much the other things they sell in the La Brea store. I brought like 4 shirts on this trip.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

New Majestic Hotel + Singapore

I was searching on SPG and Marriott expecting to find the usual suspects of hotels. I had stayed at Sheraton Towers at Newton MRT which were decent, but being here for just 2 full days (3 nights) I wanted something with more in the immediate vicinity. I was looking at The Ritz but again realized you don't earn points or anything there. It was in searching that I came across The New Majestic, part of Design Hotels, in Chinatown and thought it looked great.

Easy to get to, right at the Outtram Road MRT, you can walk to the Chinatown one in 5 min and there's plenty to eat and drink just outside.

I forgot until I got there that each room was individually designed and unique. Mine was Wayang (next to me was The Pussy Parlor, I didn't get a peek inside).

I thought the room was great with enough kitsch but still comfortable and well done.

I didn't use this, but I would rather have had a pocket wi-fi hot spot like The Mira in HK gives you.

Truth be told I didn't do much than hang out and eat.

Walked around the block to find food...came upon 3 Buns and thought a burger sounded good. The Burning Man was a little spicey (good), but pricey...like $17 SGD.

I was still hungry and walked around and came across Xing Xing Korea Restaurant and thought a bimibap sounded good. It was good and I got all of this for $13 SDG. So much food I could have just gone here first.

The area had a certain antipodean vibe to it with a few places seemed geared towards Aussies.
I went to The Daily Roundup twice which serves sweet crepes or savory galettes.

The Lo.Kal was also a good place for breakfast/brunch. Very good granola and house made yogurt.

Had to grab something at Ion Orchard and after doing 3 circles int he food court I stopped by Teppei Syokudo which was a decent spot to sort of build your own poke/sushi bowl.

An evening stroll and more foodcourt action. I was nice to actually have the evenings cooled off a bit compared to when I came in May and even at night it is just horrible.

The Marina Square foodcourt has a nice view of MBS.

I think this is the one I always get in the vending machines in Japan so nice to actually know what it is called.

To add onto the Japanese fix was also Emporium Sho Kuhin which is a luxury Japanese grocery in Marina Square. Sure the apples were $2.50 but damn they were good.

*heavy breathing*

Unlike the "frog egg" tea in Taipei...I have a feeling that this is real.

Food court in the MBS mall...the kolo mee wasn't as good as KL.

I was going to walk out to Satay by the Bay at the end of the Gardens but I got lazy and needed to come home and pack. Still it was nice to stay out a little longer and now have a flight where you don't have to get up until the time that the old SIN-NRT used to leave.

A nice few days in Singapore. First time was 5 days, this was 2.5...while I paid outright for my flight home if it came up that I found R space in or out of SIN on UA to confirm a GPU at booking I would gladly take that, but this time probably just do a night there.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

United 787 BusinessFirst SIN-SFO

As mentioned before it was nice to have a flight that leaves a little after 9am vs. the 6am SIN-NRT from days of yore.

Not exactly a premium check-in experience where you use the kiosk then have to go to the counter. Luckily an open agent just waved me up so I bypassed this.

I didn't feel like lounge hoping or going into the SQ since I would only have about 50 min in the lounge.
I'm confident this is the one I was at last year however it must have been remodeled because it feels MUCH nicer than before.

Plenty of snacks, even a "chef" guy helping people make some lahksa type soup among other things.

At gate security was easy aside from the guy ahead of me complaining that he just spent $5 on a bottle of water and has to pour it out...

Nor is using 1-2/3-5 chutes a premium experience for boarding a 787. At least the Group 2 people moved aside.

At least the menu seemed new, I'm curious if they are "soft launching" some Polaris dishes to get the kitchens up to speed and any issues worked out. In fact I didn't even notice the whole new app until the FA brought the plate and I looked down thinking..."What the hell is this?? It's not prosciuitto or salmon!"

I had ordered the lamb. Shortly after take off during drink service the FA asked if I had a second choice. Either he didn't know my status or that many GS ahead of me wanted lamb. However, I ended up getting the lamb which was a nice dish.

Bit o'chedda and some crunchy grapes.

Amenity kit was the Olympic tins they must be trying to dump. Seat worked fine other than the handset so I had to just pause and pick movies via the screen. Got about a decent 4h of sleep and then another 1h snooze and at just under 14h the flight went by pretty fast.

It doesn't look like it but this was a nice (newer menu item) breakfast. Filled with chicken sausage and sweet potatoe.

Aside form an army of Indians in wheel chairs immigration was virtually empty. Bags came out relatively quick. Since I was still driving another 2h or so down to Monterey I wanted to stop by the arrivals lounge for a snack and to take a quick shower to freshen up. I'm glad I did because the seats in the Altima, or whatever it was Hertz gave me, made me sweat even with a/c on.

I'm curious if the arrivals lounge will have a life left in SFO. On the walk there I did notice lots of posters for SQs A350 (the "first at SFO") non-stop service to SIN.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Okay so on my last night in Saigon I thought "ehhh...I'm getting bombarded by money boys on Grindr and the price is pretty good why not order in a massage?"

So a bit of blah blah and back and forth settled on who would come over. Showed as being 4,000ft away so shouldn't be too tricky. I sent the location and I should have guessed by the 3 times it took to ask where I was staying (with a GPS map location) that something may be up. "Just give me your room number dear."

This is where I slipped up. I instinctively responded with it (I think out of habit of giving it to the lounge attendants each day) which I normally don't do in a case like this or I give a fake room number (like high number...say 2037 if the hotel is only 15 floors, etc). Oh well, it's not like I've really had an issue before.

"I'll be there in 45 min honey..."
What? You could WALK here in 20.
"There's traffic dear..." (okay you can drop the pet names)
:eyeroll: whatever I would go upstairs for a glass of wine and wait.

Nearly an hour later finally see he's back on and is 500 ft away so I go downstairs. Tells me he'll be there in 10-15 min because of traffic...I could literally crab walk to you and back in 10 min.
At this point I said you've already wasted my time I'm not interested in morning, something is up. Goes offline and I go back upstairs. 10 min later see that he is online and now he is 1500ft away. I said please don't go.

10 min later sends a picture from in the lobby and offers me a discount for being late. We'll sucker for a bargain and a six pack I thought alright I'll go downstairs.

I go downstairs. You exit the elevators and then make a quick turn into the lobby where there's the the row of 3 front desk stations and chairs on the far side. I said near the desks and he looks over at me and I motion a "come here". He turns his head away but next to him are the epitome of a South Asian female hooker in a low cut super tight red dress and what I am assuming is her (also female) handler/chaperone. They motion pointing to themselves and I quickly do a "No! No" motion and walk back over around to the elevators.
I sent him a message saying come back to the elevators and he responds "Get me in the lobby darling..."
Ugh...so I walk back over and just kind of peak my head around again. With eyes like a hawk the two women are sitting there waiting and staring at me.

I hop back over and wait for the elevator to go up. Of course now it's the one time there hasn't already been one sitting. An American family with 2 kids walks up and waits. Then I see turning the corner....THE RED DRESS with one of the hotel lobby attendants. I do not make eye contact, I do not acknowledge. I start making convo with the family...the kids are excited to push the elevator buttons so I try to be jovial and distant and say I've been pushing them myself all week they can do my floor too blah blah.

We get in the elevator and thankfully it was just me and the family.

I just started giggling thinking how funny it was and what a good story it would be. After the phone in my room rang 2x over the course of 10 min I went up to the lounge and had a lot more wine and a lot more snacks as I was hiding out and not going out to get dinner for fear that I may be swooped on by either of my apparent dates that night! I didn't feel bad for my guy (even after getting messages from his 2nd account after I blocked the first saying that I was "not polite") but I'm hoping whoever she was there to see she ended up fulfilling her end of the bargain with him.

Oh life, you funny thing.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA
Soliciting prostitutes - male or female - is considered by the United Nations to be exploitation.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TaiwanIndependence
Soliciting prostitutes - male or female - is considered by the United Nations to be exploitation.
This was a massage. The prostitute in the red dress was not mine.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
They can give it to you for free, but if you give them taxi fare home it's a crime.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: trash airline program here
Originally Posted by nydave
They can give it to you for free, but if you give them taxi fare home it's a crime.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:20 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
When someone has set themselves up in their own business, and are marketing it themselves - where is the exploitation?

Sure I get it if someone has been trafficed for the sex industry, but a local who markets their product themselves.

Its like buying food from the st cart rather than Maccas.

The tourist is giving income and profit to the local person in the street.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:51 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
United 787 BusinessFirst SIN-SFO

At least the menu seemed new, I'm curious if they are "soft launching" some Polaris dishes to get the kitchens up to speed and any issues worked out. In fact I didn't even notice the whole new app until the FA brought the plate and I looked down thinking..."What the hell is this?? It's not prosciuitto or salmon!"
It was some time after my last BF flight, but looking at the pictures I do not see any major changes... Or it is that memory does not serve me this morning?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by adampenrith
KL is a city to shop and eat in.

There really is not much to see or do.

The hop on hop off bus tour gets stuck in traffic and becomes very tedious.

The Presidential Palace is quite nice to look at but its just a building.

The Bird park is great - however the orchid garden is a very very poor cousin of the orchid garden in Singapore

Batu Caves yes.

My husband loves KL but hates Singapore - but when we visit we tend to shop and eat.
No worries! Because there will always be some new attractions in KL every year (im not talking about new shopping malls or eating places), so I hope every traveler will keep updated themselves with any latest development.

1 of the good things about KL is that it is located very close to many natural attractions such as forest reserve, hills, waterfalls, rivers and parks which take only 15-20 minutes drive to be reached. Something that you cannot get in most of other South-East Asian capital cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.