Reload this Page >

A Trip To Bulgaria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To Bulgaria

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Woohooo...another DanielW report!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Did you ever consider visiting Buzludzha? An abandoned monumet in the middle of nowhere sounds like a good place to visit on a short trip, right?
I looked at visiting. Its a ~2 hour drive from Plovdiv so a good day trip and our guide, Kamen, does tours there. We didn't have enough time though unfortunately. Would definitely love to head back and visit it though, perhaps in winter when the ground is knee deep in snow.

Originally Posted by snabbu
Another great TR Daniel, thank you.
Thanks, snabbu.

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
gotta echo the other comments...great TR.
I wanted to visit Bulgaria right around 2000 but didn't have a Visa.
Thank you, grandgourmand. Rianda needed a visa for this trip (SA passport) but only took a day to get.

Originally Posted by chongl
Woohooo...another DanielW report!
Just working on another TR now, will be a bit cooler.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by DanielW
You do things
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Awesome

always great to see something different

looks like a great place to explore

what was the communication like ?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Thanks, Fredrik74. Two more TR’s in the works and I’m off to Canada next week too, so hopefully some more travels coming here soon.
Where in Canada? I was thinking of heading up next weekend myself...

Thanks again for another amazing post. I used to think I was good at making the most of a country in a few short days, but you my friend an an absolute expert!

Rianda reading about the famous (and apparently very tasty) Icelandic horses in the Wizz Air inflight magazine.
They were definitely super tasty! Can't wait for your Greenland and Iceland reports! I really need to get cracking...
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Great pics again and great report. Looks like weather cooperated. I was there in November and it was cold and dreary.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:07 pm

always a good read, Daniel. thanks for sharing.

did you go to Velingrad as well? from pictures I've seen, it looks beautiful.

Musala trek looks amazing, also it's nice seeing a cable car in the peaks. if there were cable car to the mountain here in Indonesia, it would be a guaranteed environmental disaster

woah, where was that? Greenland?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Thanks DanielW. I was in Bulgaria 23 years ago for a skiing holiday, which started off in Plovdiv, and have wanted to go back ever since.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
You do things
And I was driving a BMW across southern Africa a week later.
Originally Posted by adampenrith
Awesome
always great to see something different
looks like a great place to explore
what was the communication like ?
Thanks, adampenrith. Had no real issues with communication. Our guide up the mountain was fully fluent in English. I asked for a towel at the hotel reception once, not sure if it was because of my accent, but they only understood when I wrote it down.
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Where in Canada? I was thinking of heading up next weekend myself...
Thanks again for another amazing post. I used to think I was good at making the most of a country in a few short days, but you my friend an an absolute expert!
They were definitely super tasty! Can't wait for your Greenland and Iceland reports! I really need to get cracking...
Yep, we only had 4 days with the long Eid weekend so wanted to cram in as much as possible.
Still haven't booked my Canada flights yet, it's a work trip to Quebec City, and the official approval process is taking quite a while.
And yes, the horse was definitely just as tasty as much as they cute/photogenic.
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Great pics again and great report. Looks like weather cooperated. I was there in November and it was cold and dreary.
Thank you, hirohito888. Yep, we lucked out and had perfect weather. A bit of rain and cold would have made the mountain climb a bit more difficult too.
Originally Posted by blueferrari
always a good read, Daniel. thanks for sharing.
did you go to Velingrad as well? from pictures I've seen, it looks beautiful.
Musala trek looks amazing, also it's nice seeing a cable car in the peaks. if there were cable car to the mountain here in Indonesia, it would be a guaranteed environmental disaster
woah, where was that? Greenland?
Cheers, blueferrari. We only had 4 days with the long Eid weekend so Velingrad will have to wait for next time. Yes, I did a sidetrip to Greenland when I went to Iceland for ironmanjt's do.
Originally Posted by Guvner067
Thanks DanielW. I was in Bulgaria 23 years ago for a skiing holiday, which started off in Plovdiv, and have wanted to go back ever since.
Thank you, Guvner067. Yes, looks like it would be a great place to go skiing, apparently quite a few ski resorts to enjoy the slopes there.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Still haven't booked my Canada flights yet, it's a work trip to Quebec City, and the official approval process is taking quite a while.
And yes, the horse was definitely just as tasty as much as they cute/photogenic.
Keep me in the loop, you never know what I can be talked into

(the whale was pretty darn tasty too!)
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Thank you very nice, Sofia is also a place I have not visited.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:00 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Great TR!

Makes me want to visit Bulgaria!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Keep me in the loop, you never know what I can be talked into
(the whale was pretty darn tasty too!)
Supposed to be leaving in three days but still no tickets booked. EK J is still showing some availability though.
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Thank you very nice, Sofia is also a place I have not visited.
Cheers, djjaguar64. Sofia was a great place to explore during our long weekend getaway.
Originally Posted by TPJ
Great TR!
Makes me want to visit Bulgaria!
Thank you, TPJ. Yes, very reasonable prices and quite a lot to see and do.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:36 am

Awesome!!

This is amazing! I found your post searching for images of that trout at Pavaj: how good was it!

Was pleased to see Kamen in your photos he took us out to Buzludzha, Bachkovo Monastery and Asen's fortress, with a sneaky trip to the orthodox church at Shipka. We went in December and I'm already planning a trip back next July. I really want to see Bulgaria in Summer. I absolutely loved it.

And we'll be hitting Kamen up for a couple of tours, if he's still in the business! Lovely guy. I want to go out to the Rhodope mountains and also to a few wineries.

If you ever go back to Sofia I highly recommend the Communism tour that leaves from the National Palace of Culture. It features a Trabant and we got to ride in it, as we were the only two idiots out on that cold december morning doing tours. With larger groups it's a bit hard, although they do airport pick ups in it lol.

Thanks for a fantastic trip report
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:28 am

Buzludzha

I notice one of your replies above mentions a desire to see Buzludzha in winter: so here are some pics from the aforementioned trip with Kamen. The snow was up to our thighs and it was the most post-apocalyptic scene I've ever laid eyes on. I've also never seen snow like that and I was terrified. My jacket wasn't up to snuff. We couldn't break in, we found a tunnel into it but I wussed out, in case we couldn't climb back out.
Attached Images           

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.