Trip To Peru: Planes & Trains

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:25 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by blueferrari
those trainrides look grand. beautiful.

how long were the duration for Hiram Bingham and Andean Explorer, each?
Andean Explorer was 10 hours.
Hiram Bingham was 4 hours each way.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I won't disagree it looks nice, but I find it hard to call a good deal at nearly $800/pp. Round trip train tix on the mid tier Vistadome train for me were $170/pp. Add another $25 for the bus and we're at $195. While the OP quoted bus wait times of 2+ hours, he never waited in those lines. My mom and I did and we waited probably 5 mins on the way up and 15 mins on the way back, and that was at close to peak time (7am on the way up and noon on the way down).

I won't argue the Hiram Bingham is the luxury way to travel to Machu Picchu, but for me there was no value proposition for it. If the OP thinks it was worth it, that's all that matters.
I completely understand your point and it´s great to see another perspective. When it comes to value it´s always very subjective. Same when people call F tickets at 3500 a great deal while you can travel in Y for 600
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by offerendum
I completely understand your point and it´s great to see another perspective. When it comes to value it´s always very subjective. Same when people call F tickets at 3500 a great deal while you can travel in Y for 600
The Vistadome would be more akin to business class than Y, as there is another lower level train than the Vistadome. I took the lower level train to Machu Picchu and the Vistadome back so I can confidently speak on that part of the comparison.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
The Vistadome would be more akin to business class than Y, as there is another lower level train than the Vistadome. I took the lower level train to Machu Picchu and the Vistadome back so I can confidently speak on that part of the comparison.

I just did the expedition class outbound and vistadome return. Very little difference exception in vistadome you get a slightly different center table, an (awful) snack.

The HB is magnificent. And if that's you're style, that's awesome.

But if you really wanted to do this budget friendly, then catch the expedition train from Ollantaytambo. Taxi one way from Cusco is about $30. We stayed on points at Tambo Del Inka in Urubamba. Taxi from there to Ollanta is $10. The single vistadome train to Urubamba is much slower and much more expensive than a taxi. Then save by catching the expedition train from Ollantaytambo. Saves a significant amount.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott GLD
Thank you for the report.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nomad98
Thank you for the report.
Your welcome
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:01 pm

Can i ask was the andean explorer arrival on time?
Im on it tomorrow but it arrives 18:30 and i have to taxi it to Ollanta for the 21:00 to MP
I know its roughly an hour taxi ride away so hoping arrival+disembark doesn't take an hour.

Also did the LIM-JUL the other day, i feel your pain on the embarking although it wasn't busy that night.
Did the plane smell of smoke/tobacco or something for you. Im an ex smoker but thought it was over powering as you got on the plane.
And yeah Juliaca arrival is a scary scary place.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acquiescefc
Can i ask was the andean explorer arrival on time?
Im on it tomorrow but it arrives 18:30 and i have to taxi it to Ollanta for the 21:00 to MP
I know its roughly an hour taxi ride away so hoping arrival+disembark doesn't take an hour.

Also did the LIM-JUL the other day, i feel your pain on the embarking although it wasn't busy that night.
Did the plane smell of smoke/tobacco or something for you. Im an ex smoker but thought it was over powering as you got on the plane.
And yeah Juliaca arrival is a scary scary place.
Yes the Andean Explorer was on time. I didn't smell anything off on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.