Reload this Page >

A trip to Australia

A trip to Australia

Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by Nomad98
Great Trip report and amazing pics OP!
Thinking of adding a side trip to Australia on my trips to India for a very long time.
As a person needing entry permit to Australia, i find the instructions on their US embassy site not very concise.
Thanks!

Are you an Indian citizen? If so, I believe it should be as easy (if not easier) for you to get the Australian visa as it was for us as American citizens (and Indian OCIs). If you are still confused, I will be more than happy to see if I can figure it out.

BTW, the best bang for the buck on intermediate trips in combination with India trips is Europe trips ... unless you are all Europed out!!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Thanks for a lovely photographic montage of Australia. Most of the time I am down on this country (mostly because of its small-minded politicians and to some extent its small-minded citizens), but seeing your photographs reminded me that there is much physical beauty. Many of them (those of Bondi, Coogee, Tamarama and Clovelly) were quite nostalgic too, as those beaches figured very significantly in my youth - I spent a LOT of time in those waters.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Chalkie:

Thanks for the compliments. Glad you enjoyed them. You ought to be the moderator of the next Sydney vs. Melbourne debate on this forum ;-)
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Even though I was tired, I did not sleep well that first night. Why? Because, once more in no specific order, a) it was too warm for me even with the A/C on, b) I was worried about the car and c) I had seen a mosquito or two floating around the two rooms we had. Well, maybe I should scratch that and say, in increasing order of inducing insomnia! Just last year, DS had contracted dengue and, I had learned from some Airbnb hosts, dengue was prevalent (though only in summer) in the Cairns area. I don't know how true or false this was, but just hearing the word dengue got me worried!

Anyway, we had to wake up early and by golly, we did! We did not wait for the day to break or for dawn to show up. As we were supposed to be at the Marina by 7:30 (per instructions), we knew we had to leave very early. The only decision we were left with was whether we would walk over to the Marina (20 minutes per our host) or take the car and leave it in the paid parking spot. That decision was made the previous night based on the locality. No way we were leaving the car there and our stuff in the room. So, early in the morning (well, it was still night) after a rather cursory breakfast (of all things, I had forgotten milk from the store the previous night, so we had to make do with black tea which I can barely stand), we started packing everything back into the car. And now is when my flashlight (remember it?) finally came to our assistance.

We had put everything in the trunk of the car; kids were inside and we were ready to leave when I was unable to find the car keys. Not in my pocket, not in the seat of the car, not on the trunk, not on the roof ... Sam, I was not ... happy! Enter, Senor Flashlight. We searched high, we searched low. I peered into all corners of the trunk. Finally, I opened the door and sat down - and finally remembered, that for whatever reason, I had shoved them into the side pocket by the driver's seat. So, we got started. For good measure, this time I switched my navigator and back seat drivers around, to get better traction on the proceedings!

The place was not far, and I was armed with a map, GPS and sunlight (OK, no sunlight, as it was not yet six in the morning, plus it was drizzling). I was going to be driving at about an ant's pace on a weekday morning, though it was way early for rush hour traffic. Not to forget the rain, as it had been drizzling steadily all night and was continuing unabated. After driving a couple of blocks, I saw an idiot light (red) peer back at me from the dashboard. It appeared to indicate low tire pressure (though I wont swear to it today!). Got out of the car, took flashlight with me, checked all tires everything appeared normal. However, I did notice when I went over a couple of speed bumps that the car appeared sluggish. It appeared as if something had happened to the axle. Now, I had checked the car and verified that the only issue caused from the previous evening was a cracked rear view mirror frame the plastic cover had gotten chipped, but that had nothing to do with the car frame itself!

Now I got worried if someone had done something to the car overnight that we were unaware of! The first thought we had was to get the car switched at the rental place. But there was precious little time to lose in doing anything like that; besides, they probably would not be opening before nine am, by which time our cruise wouldve left! So, we decided on the next best option see if we can stop and ask someone for a gas (petrol) station to have someone take a quick look at the car.

Like most places, Cairns was a ghost town at six am. But, luckily for me, a car in front of us pulled into a shopping complex and we followed. After getting some information from the lady about getting to a gas station, I got back in the car. A few left turns, right turns and even one u-turn (though these are typically not allowed, there are a few places where you can do so) later, I gave up trying to find the gas station. Our best bet now was to keep going slowly to the marina.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by an_asker
Thanks!

Are you an Indian citizen? If so, I believe it should be as easy (if not easier) for you to get the Australian visa as it was for us as American citizens (and Indian OCIs). If you are still confused, I will be more than happy to see if I can figure it out.

BTW, the best bang for the buck on intermediate trips in combination with India trips is Europe trips ... unless you are all Europed out!!
Thank you for your offer
Adding intermediate stops is something which crossed my mind (during our recent European tour) after 15+ years of India travel..lol
I am more of a last minute person and very indecisive

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.