Wiki Posts
Search

A trip to Australia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
That meal on United LA to Syd looks absolutely atrocious!

Welcome to Australia.
No no! That meal was as good as it can get on an airline for an Indian American vegetarian! We loved it.

The one issue we had was that - I still cannot fathom how - only three of our party of four got assigned the Asian Vegetarian Meal that I had requested. Funny thing is that I called United from Sydney and the agent said that everything looked good on her end ... and again on the return flight from Sydney, my wife failed to get her requested meal. On the outbound flight, at least they had a vegetarian pasta alternative. Oh well ...

By the way, we have been back for nearly a month now!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Day 8 - Sydney, the march from Coogee beach to Bondi beach (part 1)

Another glorious sunrise - this one in Sydney

Because of the clouds, however, this is the best I could get

Local cliffs, close to friend's house

The cliff face was pockmarked with evidence of (most likely by wind) erosion

Lot of folks up and about at Coogee beach

Kayakers

Chish and Fips sounds vegetarian, though I have my doubts ;-)

Two daredevils

This looks to be a cactus ...

Last edited by an_asker; Sep 23, 2016 at 9:35 am
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Loving your photos of Australia but I have to check that its not my screensaver photos as I have a fair number that you too have taken of very beautiful Australia!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Loving your photos of Australia but I have to check that its not my screensaver photos as I have a fair number that you too have taken of very beautiful Australia!
Thanks for the compliments :-). Yes, Australia is very pretty indeed. And huuuge as well!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:24 am

You are certainly packing a lot into a very short space of time!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:30 am

How was it driving on the Left side of the road?

I went to the Blue Mountains in 1986 and there were no funiculars then. Looks much more exciting and fun now.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
You are certainly packing a lot into a very short space of time!
True, but honestly speaking, it was what most would call a shallow trip, as we did not really get deep into any of the experiences. For instance, we never even (literally) got out feet wet in the Ocean! I realized this only early last week. I had been planning to do so in Sydney but never got a chance to do so!

But in spite of that, we did - on the whole - enjoy ourselves. Hope to be back.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
How was it driving on the Left side of the road?

I went to the Blue Mountains in 1986 and there were no funiculars then. Looks much more exciting and fun now.
The first day (night, actually) in Cairns was a challenge. I had planned it so I could take it easy in a smaller city before going on to drive in the Melbourne area. Fortunately, came through relatively unscarred.

Wow! Yes, they have three rides now, and per our host, something is different each time he visits (though, because he is a local probably, he does not visit often).
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Day 8 - Sydney, the march from Coogee beach to Bondi beach (part 2)

Self explanatory map

The boat park

Stained steps

Scuba divers

Swimming pool

Kids are the same everywhere ... this one is getting buried up to her neck in sand

What game is this?!!

The Waverly cemetery is spectacular

Landslide by the cemetery

This dear departed must've won some trophies back in his/her day!

Last edited by an_asker; Sep 23, 2016 at 9:36 am
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by an_asker
What game is this?!!
Great pics! I did similar trips in 2013 (MEL/plus 2 days in SYD) and last year (4.5 days in SYD). I thought it was bocce ball, but the place is listed as lawn bowling. I didn't know they were different until I googled it (a friend is into bocce) but apparently rules and equipment are a bit different.
http://www.southcoogeebowls.com.au
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
That game is lawn bowls, very popular with the more mature crowd but starting to get a following in the younger generations.

Every small village has a bowlo - a club where lawn bowls is played - and also a clubhouse for drinks food and the ever present poker machine - or slot machines you would see in Las Vegas,

Often these clubs are the centre of a community, and offer social memberships for non bowls players.

Lawn bowls is an international sport - and is certainly a Commonwealth Games event, but not yet an Olympic event
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Test

adampenrith/lmwong1977:

Thanks for the insight. It appears that it is indeed Lawn Bowling! However, not much was going on when we passed by, so I don't have any action shots. On the other hand, out on Coogee Beach, I got this impressive video:

Last edited by an_asker; Sep 19, 2016 at 8:41 am
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Day 8 - Sydney, the march from Coogee beach to Bondi beach (part 3)

Scuba divers (practicing, I assume)

Bronte Park and Bronte Beach

Surfers and sunbathers ...

... and models modeling on the beach

Tamarama Park

Exercise bench with detailed instructions

Interesting sculpture ...

... at Bondi Park

Unrelenting waves ...

... at Bondi Beach

Last edited by an_asker; Sep 23, 2016 at 9:38 am
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Day 8 - Sydney, Manly ferry

After all that excitement, I am sorry to confess that this trip report is about to come to an abrupt end. That is because after reaching Bondi beach, we took a bus to Circular Quay, from where we took the Manly ferry to and from Manly Wharf. By then, night had fallen, and we did not do anything further from a sighseeing standpoint. Here then, is the last set of photos for this trip report. I could add photos of planes taken at Sydney airport the next morning as we were about to fly out, but I'm sure you all have seen enough plane photos (in this trip report, as well as on others).

Wait a minute though! I will conclude the trip report by posting (next post) a few photos I took from the plane(s) on the way back to Atlanta.

A sculpture by one of the buildings in the Sydney CBD area

Another imposing building in the Sydney CBD near Circular Quay

A ferry glides by the Sydney Harbour Bridge

Close up view of the Opera House

Entering the iconic Manly ferry

View of the Opera House from the opposite side

The Harbour bridge and the Opera House silhouette

This is my third photo of the Watson Bay lighthouse - first time from the air, the second time from the land across the water, and this time from the ferry on the water :-)

From the air (day one)

From the land (day one)

Up there - that's where we were on land on our first day in Sydney, from where I took the photo of the lighthouse

Approaching Manly wharf ...

... and its lots of boats

Souvenir shopping

Twilight view of Sydney CBD

Luna Park at night (this is the best I could get my camera to focus at night)

Local trains in Sydney

Circular Quay station

An amusing (and a little scary) incident took place while we entered our train at the Townhall station (we had gone there to get something to eat at Woolworths) headed towards Circular Quay. We had barely entered the compartment and taken our seats when we heard a lady screaming loudly ... and using decidedly unladylike language. Every other word was one that I am pretty sure (I hope I am wrong!) that DD had not previously heard. OK, to be honest, it was the same word repeated incessantly, so after the first time, if she was paying attention, I'm sure DD had heard it before!!

Anyway, the person was not a happy camper. She was making reference to her five-year old kid and the gap between the platform and the train, and to these people who didn't know how to accommodate a kid getting on the train, etc. Funny thing was, I don't think there was much of a rush to board the train. After a few minutes of this tirade, I noticed that some folks were coming toward where we were sitting from the location where all the yelling was happening. In the meantime the doors of the train meant to close ... but stayed open.

A few minutes passed with no let up. Then we noticed a bedraggled kind of man leaving the train from where the noise was coming from. But the yelling continued louder about folks who should go back to the country they came from , etc. (the bedraggled person looked pretty much like a local, so I don't think he was the target of the abuses). And then I noticed a few more oriental tourists coming toward us from the Noise Location.

Anyway, after what seemed like ages, we noticed a native Australian woman leave the train with a little kid in tow (who was obviously not oblivious to the colorful language). There were a few uniformed staff on the platform who were talking with her to calm her down. Finally, the doors closed and the driver (or other staff) came on the intercom to apologize for the behavior that passengers in the sixth compartment had been subjected to!!

Last edited by an_asker; Sep 23, 2016 at 9:41 am
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:27 pm

Great pics to finish your trip off with... and a scary story too! :O

The 'imposing building near Circular Quay' is the Customs House and Cafe Sydney on the top floor is an excellent place to go or a meal. i wasn't sure what was best the view or the food, both were spectacular!

I loved taking the ferry over to Manly even if just to have an ice-cream from the fine shop/stall in the ferry terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.