Wiki Posts
Search

MCO-MIA-MCO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2000, 11:17 am
Original Poster

MCO-MIA-MCO

'toad droppings...

The Shadow knows (that I haven’t posted a TR for awhile). So here, for your enjoyment (if indeed you enjoy the misfortunes of others), is an account of a recent trip I made from Orlando to Miami.

Things started out well enough. My upgrade cleared 3 days prior to the flight; only it was for a much later flight than what I really wanted. Booked it, though, for the cheaper fare. Arrived at the airport 4 hours early and the kindly check-in agent printed my boarding pass for me for the flight I really wanted– thus saving me the hassle of standing by at the gate. Relaxed in the bar for awhile (MCO is one of the few airports left that allow smoking in the bar). Boarded, left and arrived on time. In-flight service was great! Got pre-flight drink service; which, because we were all ‘big boys’, the FA allowed us to keep during taxi & take-off. Uneventful flight.

Hailed a cab at MIA for the ride to the Fontainebleau Hilton Miami Beach. Cab driver didn’t speak much English, so I was spared the cabbie banter. That was where things started to go wrong. Pulled out the cell-phone to check messages and return some calls. Next thing I know, we’re at the hotel. Briefly put my phone down so I can grab my briefcase, pay the cabbie & get out. Next thing I know he (the cabbie) is taking off. With my cell phone.

HHonors check-in was actually staffed! Unfortunately, my room reservation, despite being confirmed and re-confirmed as king-size bed and smoking room, was not HHonored. Much computer checking and running back to the manager (who never appeared) resulted in an I’m sorry. That’s all we have. Get to the room only to discover the most decrepit room I have ever seen at a Hilton. Reminded me of a Motel 6; only smaller. To make matters worse, all of the handles and latches had been removed from the windows so they no longer opened.

Consigning myself to my fate, I decide to numb myself in the Towers lounge. Must be a problem with my key – it won’t open the lounge door. So I ask the Towers Concierge to please re-code my key. No can do. Why not, I say? You’re not staying in a Towers room, she says. But I’m Gold, I say. So what, she says. Well, according to Hilton HHonors rules, I’m entitled to access. I’ve never heard of that, she says. Much arguing and I lose. So back to my cell, where I fire up the laptop, pull up the HHonors web site and lock the benefits screen. Back upstairs I go (toting my laptop) to ‘prove’ I am right. Well, how about that, she says. By this time I am seething. She did finally give me a key to access the lounge, but I didn’t want the lounge anymore. I wanted revenge. So I called the hot-line (or whatever its called) and asked for a manager. Surprise, he had no more clue about HHonors rules than she did. Plus, he said, if they let all the Gold’s into the lounge, it would just be too crowded. My last resort – an email to Adam! He had a chat with the Towers concierge, apparently, because the next day, I had a lovely snack basket waiting for me in my room, along with a note of apology. Feeling somewhat vindicated, I went up to the lounge which is really very nice. Honor bar, but that’s ok. Excellent views of the ocean from the lounge and balcony. There were a variety of other problems (poor lighting, mini-bar never refilled).

I also sent a few more emails to Adam; he truly does care and looks out for both his company and their customers. Next thing I know, I get an email from the Executive Assistant Manager of the property, apologizing and wanting to discuss my experience. He did call, and we did discuss. Promises were made to ensure staff and managers were trained/re-trained on HHonors and customer service. So, hopefully, some good will come of it.

Departure day came and, thankfully, there were no riots or street-blockings as had been promised by the Cuban-Americans. Arriving a couple of hours early at the airport, I decide to spend some time looking for the cabbie that ran off with my phone. And after about 45 minutes, I found him. Gimme my phone! I took it back to the hotel! BS! I asked before I left at front desk, security and concierge and they didn’t have it. The do too! Here is card! True enough, he had the card of the concierge. I took down the name and number and called. Too bad she was off for the next 3 days and nobody else knew anything about the phone. I gave up.

In the past, there has been much discussion and debate on this board as to the ‘value’ of miles. Well, on this day, the value of 40,000 miles was only $275. Having endured all I could endure, and not wanting to endure more heat and fumes hanging out on the curb smoking, I made my way to the Admirals Club and gleefully gave up my miles in return for a couple of hours of calm. Best miles I ever spent! Some will say that 40k miles was too high of a price to pay. But, to me, its like found money. I probably wouldn’t ever shell out MY money for a club membership. But miles? Those are cheap.

The flight back was great! Granted, it is a short flight, but that had to have been the smoothest flight I've ever had in these parts. Was it because it was a 727? Or because it was captained by a female that could've appeared on Baywatch? I kid you not. I stumbled out of the door... and not because I had too many drinks (though I did)!

All’s well that ends; and thanks to Adam’s efforts I haven’t quite given up on Hilton. While the EVP did offer to personally take care of my arrangements/reservation the next time I am in Miami, I just can’t see a circumstance where I would again stay at that hotel.

Cheers,

‘toad

Oh yes, I did finally get my phone back. Score 1 point for Hilton – they didn’t charge me for the shipping.

[This message has been edited by Hammertoad (edited 04-21-2000).]
Old Apr 21, 2000, 12:02 pm

Great report, Mr. 'Toad...glad to see you back here.

If it weren't for Adam Burke, there would be a lot of frustrated folks here. What a great guy to have intercede on your behalf!!

Glad it all worked out...
Old Apr 21, 2000, 9:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
I'm with the 'toad on the Baywatch babes, there have been some real knock-outs upfront lately on AA. One heck of a red head who was the FO on a F100 ord-phl most recently.
Old Apr 21, 2000, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good for you Toad! Your efforts help all of us travel warriors in the long run! And thanks to Adam for minding the store.

Now about the AA crews. Wingless2 has a friend who used to work with her at the Disneyland Hotel and who just recently started as a AA FA based out of New York. I'll be completely sexist here and say that she is a real doll (I wish she were flying United)! Her name is Yvette, so keep an eye out for her (I'm sure you'll notice her) and say that Mister Love (and Cheri) sez Hi.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 04-21-2000).]
Old Apr 22, 2000, 12:07 am

I can't tell you what color hair Yvette has because it changes from blonde, to brown, to red, to black and back to blonde. Currently, I think she is a blonde. I did warn her that I was going to post something about her on FT, but I never did.
Please tell her hello.

Cheri

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.