Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Into the Wasteland: The Indian Pacific Train Across Australia and QR J to Get There

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Into the Wasteland: The Indian Pacific Train Across Australia and QR J to Get There

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:43 am

Fantastic report. Thanks. Happy you passed the Bar Exam. Congrats.

Was it boring at times on the train? Is it really worth it?

Am I correct you did not use points or upgrade awards? If you did how many miles would you need.

Was told Perth is a really nice city and it showed in your report.

I loved Sydney but Adelaide was boring.

Your convict joke / Australian citizenship was funny.

I found it amusing you get a choice of Pork or Jew Fish.

Do you know what it is? Never heard of it.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 1:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrp2
awesome trip report as always!
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Charles! Another great report. I always enjoy them. So great what you do with your dad! Train trip looked particularly fabulous. Meanwhile, I just took Coast Starlight and Empire Building. As you well know, there is no comparison!
No there isn't but it's still fun to be on a train, especially seeing parts of our beautiful country you'd never see otherwise. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Originally Posted by brooding
The Light Horse were rather made famous for the last cavalry charge in history at Beersheba (and it was successful!):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Beersheba_(1917)
How very interesting, I apologize for my mistake and I'm always happy to learn more about history.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Fantastic report. Thanks. Happy you passed the Bar Exam. Congrats.

Was it boring at times on the train? Is it really worth it?

Am I correct you did not use points or upgrade awards? If you did how many miles would you need.

Was told Perth is a really nice city and it showed in your report.

I loved Sydney but Adelaide was boring.

Your convict joke / Australian citizenship was funny.

I found it amusing you get a choice of Pork or Jew Fish.

Do you know what it is? Never heard of it.
Thank you! As for your questions, the train would have been boring if I didn't like to read and play cards and wasn't with someone I enjoy traveling with. Still, after a summer of studying it was really nice to relax and do nothing.

And no we did not use points or miles, I'm actually not sure what it would have cost with points. As to the Jewfish, here you go. My dad said it was really good:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyrosomus_japonicus
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Alamo Insiders, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold
Congratulations on passing the bar CMK10, and thanks for such a great trip report.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
but most of all, the trip of a lifetime with my father
And this, is what counts the most.
Lovely TR - thank you for sharing.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: IHG Priority Club,Fairmont presidents club,Marriot rewards,SPG,Delta Privalige
Great trip report!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BertieWooster
Congratulations on passing the bar CMK10, and thanks for such a great trip report.
Thank you very much and you're also welcome!

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
And this, is what counts the most.
Lovely TR - thank you for sharing.
It really is, and he'll have the memories forever too, so you're very welcome.

Originally Posted by Pjack94
Great trip report!
Thank you!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Great trip report. Gave me an idea for a trip with my son!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:23 pm

Great report.. Thanks so very much...
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I always love reading your reports - excellent job writing, great humor, and most of all, I love that you and your father have such a great time together on trips. Oh, and I love trains too! Congrats on passing the bar...I figured you would save that news for the end!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by londonfog
Great trip report. Gave me an idea for a trip with my son!
Thank you! My favorite comments are when people tell me they want to take a similar trip with their son or father.

Originally Posted by RTW4
Great report.. Thanks so very much...
You are very welcome, glad you liked it!

Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
I always love reading your reports - excellent job writing, great humor, and most of all, I love that you and your father have such a great time together on trips. Oh, and I love trains too! Congrats on passing the bar...I figured you would save that news for the end!
Thank you for your very kind words, glad to see I'm not the only train lover her. And I will thank you for what you do for us at your airline.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:59 am

Thank you for this very interesting and entertaining experience, CMK10.

A great way to see some of the vast country that is Australia. I lived there for almost 4 years and you have definitely seen alot more than I did.

Originally Posted by CMK10
You can go toilet paper, or butt hoseyour choice!
These are also often referred to as a 'bum gun'.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Awesome trip report. I've never taken a long distance train trip, but I've thought about it a couple of times. Looked like it was a good time. I hope to take trips like that with my son someday. (He's only 5, but loves traveling as much as I do.) I love Sydney, and the other parts of Australia that I have been to. If you make it back over there, the Hunter Valley and Blue Mountains are worth the drive to do some exploring and see kangaroos. Congrats on passing the bar.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Congratulations, Charles! I've no doubt you'll make a fine addition to the legal community and this trip report reinforces what I already know - you're a First Class trip reporter! Thanks for another fine effort and I look forward reading about wherever you and your father/brother travel to next. ^^

P.S. The Indian Pacific has come a long way since I rode it First Class from Sydney to Perth back in 1988. A realllllllllly long way!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:31 pm
pjs

Great report! Commiserations from a fellow bar member (we'll assume you passed). I don't get the point of wearing a suit on such a long trip though. I wear comfortable stuff on long hauls.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanielW
Thank you for this very interesting and entertaining experience, CMK10.

A great way to see some of the vast country that is Australia. I lived there for almost 4 years and you have definitely seen alot more than I did.

These are also often referred to as a 'bum gun'.
Ha, bum gun! I like that. Glad you enjoyed the report, as I say to people, one of the best ways to see a place is from a long distance train, it's how I've seen parts of the US I never would have seen otherwise.

Originally Posted by mustang281man
Awesome trip report. I've never taken a long distance train trip, but I've thought about it a couple of times. Looked like it was a good time. I hope to take trips like that with my son someday. (He's only 5, but loves traveling as much as I do.) I love Sydney, and the other parts of Australia that I have been to. If you make it back over there, the Hunter Valley and Blue Mountains are worth the drive to do some exploring and see kangaroos. Congrats on passing the bar.
Thank you very much, I'm sure you and your son will have a great time on the train when he's a little older. My first train trips were from Boston to Stamford, CT with my dad and they're still very fond memories, even after this trip.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Congratulations, Charles! I've no doubt you'll make a fine addition to the legal community and this trip report reinforces what I already know - you're a First Class trip reporter! Thanks for another fine effort and I look forward reading about wherever you and your father/brother travel to next. ^^

P.S. The Indian Pacific has come a long way since I rode it First Class from Sydney to Perth back in 1988. A realllllllllly long way!
Thank you Elton, coming from you those are some very big compliments indeed. I am curious about what the IP used to be like, I'm glad we took it when we did after all the upgrades.

Originally Posted by pjs
Great report! Commiserations from a fellow bar member (we'll assume you passed). I don't get the point of wearing a suit on such a long trip though. I wear comfortable stuff on long hauls.
Thank you very much, and I did indeed pass! My name is on the NCBLE website and everything.

As to the suit, as I tell people:
- It's custom tailored so it fits really well and is therefore comfortable
- It has lots of pockets
- It's slimming and makes me look sophisticated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.