SFO-JFK (Business Elite)- Bayonne - Short Hills

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2000, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
SFO-JFK (Business Elite)- Bayonne - Short Hills

March 11

My wife, the Wonderous Wendolene, & I needed to get to NJ to attend a family function (a rare non-business trip for both of us, who have been on the road constantly this year).

We elected to skip the nonstop CO SJC-EWR flight and the one-stop DL flight through SLC to use the DL SFO-JFK flight, which has Business Elite.

The flight was a 767 in the international configuration. Despite the hint of overcast in SFO, the flight actually took off on time (SFO habituees know what a miracle this is!). This was a 7:30 AM flight, so breakfast was the meal -- I selected the french toast (OK), while Wendolene chose the omelete ( "awful" says her delicate palette).

BE seats are equipped with in-seat video units. Unfortunately, these do not work well without headphone. The FA's were unable to locate the headphones! They dug some up, but not enough for everyone. They then appeared to start giving the headphones out based on (my guess) FF status. They were relieved to see that I had my own Sony NC-5 headphones, so they gave my pair to my wife. We both watched "Galaxy Quest", and Wendolene laughed so hard that the flight crew fell compelled to check up on her.

...and then the miracle

After the first movie was over (about 3 hours into the 5 hour flight), the headphones were found!

It was a smooth flight except for a very bumpy approach into JFK. We quickly deplaned and waited for our National Car Rental bus. And waited. And waited. Finally, I called the National number, and they alerted the JFK people that there were customers waiting. (Karma moment: I almost always use Hertz -- about 10 Hertz and Avis busses passed by.)

Total time from curb to car pickup: 1 hour.

Of course, it was bumper to bumper on the Belt Parkway due to a wreck. Once we got to Staten Island, I had to take Wendolene through Bayonne, NJ (where I lived for many, many years) to see the sights.

We eventually made our way to the marvelous Hilton at Short Hills (one of our favorite hotels)...

Grades so far:

Delta: B (marked down for a bad breakfast, the one meal that never should be messed up, and the headphone debacle; otherwise, a nice flight).

National: D- (at least, they had the reservation).

Hilton: Incomplete, on an A+ track.
Old Mar 12, 2000, 7:24 am
Commander Catcop

Very good FOUR PAWS UP tightly written report.

If you read this SUNDAY Morning: GO to the Sunday Brunch at the Hilton. One of the best I"ve ever had.

And very intersting that you went thru Bayonne since right next door is the hometown of one of the most popular members of Flyertalk.
Old Mar 12, 2000, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, Catman -- we know all about the Brunch, but since we have a big party to go to tonight, we're skipping in a mild hope that we can fit into our seats when we fly back to SFO!

I remember Jersey City from the days when no one would admit they were from Jersey City (or Hoboken or Weehawken, etc.. )
Old Mar 12, 2000, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report!
Old Mar 15, 2000, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My wife & I are both a few stone overweight, so we devised the perfect diet for New York. It is a high protein, high fat & high carbo diet. Our theory is that our bodies will be under such terrific stress processing the food, that they will be forced to burn calories just trying. It is sort of like nuclear fusion.

Any visit to the New York area is incomplete without the kosher deli food -- corned beef, pastrami, chopped liver & especially cole slaw. This is not the mayo-laden fraud found elsewhere in America! My sister introduced me to a sandwich called the "Sloppy Joe" (which is not the hamburger/tomato sauce sanwich served by institutional cafeterias). This creation, sort of like a club sandwich, has at least 4 deli meats, cole slaw, "russian" dressing (seemed like 1000 island to me) and several layers of bread. They are so deadly that I am surprised that the federal government doesn't demand a 72-hour waiting period and a background check before purchase.

Bagels are another must. New York bagels are not the donuts served elsewhere. And a real bagel NEVER has fruit of any kind. A real bagel is hard on the outside and soft on the inside. (Are you listening, Noah's?).

Pizza: My sister's family took us to a restaurant in Warren NJ that is "Bayonne Italian". I guess this is the start of second generation ethnic cuisine. I am told that the owners left their native land of Bayonne, packed up all their belongings and made the long, arduous, 23 mile trip up interstate 78 to Warren. Once they reached their new land, they share with others a taste of what it was like in the old country. The restaurant has pictures from the glory days of Bayonne (Uncle Milty’s, the Lyceum theater…)

Anyway, they serve pizza both traditional NY style and “Bayonne thin”. Very tasty.

But this a board about flying, so let’s talk about the trip back to SFO. Having endured massive delays on our way in, we played it safe and left the Short Hills Hilton at 11:10 for our 3:30 flight. We routed ourselves through Bayonne again, to fill the tank of the rental car while still in New Jersey. The price was 1.49 a gallon, full serve – this may be expensive in New Jersey, but to us NoCals, it is practically free.

We made such good time that I suggested to Wendolene that we detour off the Belt Parkway to take a look at Coney Island. Although Wendolene is an experienced world traveler (she was in Sydney the week before), she had never been to New York City until this trip! If it were warmer (and if we hadn’t just had breakfast), we would have stopped for sure for a Nathan’s frank and a knish.

We returned the car to National at JFK and then waited 40 minutes for a shuttle to the airport. We arrived at the terminal about an hour after we dropped off the car, so it seems that National’s service is quite consistent at JFK. I will respond by consistently not using them there anymore.

We were still quite early, and the Business Elite lounge was not yet open. Prime time for Delta at JFK is from around 3-8 PM, at it was just about 1:15. We found the Crown Room Club, which was empty and about 95 degrees Fahrenheit (on the Celsius scale, that translates to “too hot”). It was a problem that the staff tried to correct during the remainder of our stay.

We boarded at 3PM. We were in the third row. Bryant Gumbel from the CBS Early Show was in the second row. (Maybe we should start a new thread, “Near encounters with the famous and nearly famous”).

We had a suit bag, which the flight attendant offered to hang in the front closet.

The flight was very nice, and actually arrived a few minutes early. It had a typical Delta first class domestic menu (Omaha steak, halibut, duck as entrees; ceasar salad; crab quiche; a sundae for dessert). I had the steak, which was very good. Wendolene had the duck, which was good, but she complained it was fatty. (This is from a woman who ate pastrami all weekend).

The FA’s came by regularly for drink orders, or to give out bottled water. A snack basket was passed around about an hour before landing.

And it was wonderful to have the Business Elite seats all across the country.

So, here are my final grades, for the entire trip:

Delta: An A+ for the last lag, average for the entire trip: a gentleman’s A.
National: Consistent. D-
Hilton at Short Hills: A+, as always
New York Food: A+ and a visit to the cardiologist.
Old Mar 15, 2000, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Bagels are another must. New York bagels are not the donuts served elsewhere. And a real bagel NEVER has fruit of any kind. A real bagel is hard on the outside and soft on the inside. (Are you listening, Noah's?).
Noah's =

NO bagels
Anywhere
Here

There are good bagels to be had outside New York, but I've yet to find one in the Bay Area.

A frequent topic of discussion on ba.food newsgroup.

[This message has been edited by dgolds (edited 03-15-2000).]
Old Mar 17, 2000, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There are good bagels to be had outside New York, but I've yet to find one in the Bay Area
Amen to that -- certainly not in the South Bay. Although outside of New York Miami Beach... where do you find a good bagel?

(This is a rhetorical question, I will find a Frequent Eaters board to pursue it! )

[This message has been edited by opus17 (edited 03-17-2000).]
Old Mar 17, 2000, 6:01 pm

opus17: Glad to see you visited my hometown of Bayonne!!

By "Noah's," I assume you mean the chain in California. I say this because there is a small chain in NJ also called Noah's Bagels. They have some of the best - located in New Providence and Chatham.

A sloppy joe is also one of my favorites. Very easy to get around the tri-state.
Old Mar 17, 2000, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi Tute84,

Actually, I am a graduate of Bayonne High School & No. 3 School (although I am not originally from there -- I was born in New York -- and I haven't lived there since the 70's).

But it sure hasn't changed much!

Yes, I am talking about the California Noah's, which is actually better than most of the other doughnut shops out here: http://www.noahs.com/main.html . I am told that the chain is called "Einstein Brothers" in the eastern part of the U.S.

[This message has been edited by opus17 (edited 03-17-2000).]
Old Mar 18, 2000, 4:07 pm

Bagels, bagels, bagels...

Definitely Montreal. St-Viateur bagels, on St-Viateur street. 24h/day, you can get your fresh bagel fix.

*sigh* It's been too long since I've been there.
Old Mar 18, 2000, 10:59 pm

Good report, opus...

If you're ever in PDX, there's a great deli downtown called Kornblatt's. Closest thing to what I grew up with in Baltimore, Philly, NJ & NY. And their bagels are great! They have a sandwich called the Twin Towers (CB & Pastrami) that rivals any that the Stage or Carnegie Deli has.

Just had an 'everything' bagel for breakfast at Einstein's in LAS 3 days ago.

Also, your sandwich was called a 'Cloak and Dagger' at the delis I frequented in Baltimore.

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 03-18-2000).]
Old Mar 19, 2000, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

shadow -- I'll be in PDX in a couple of weeks, but just to catch the plane to NRT. If I knew there were good bagels locally, I might be tempted to stick around! (Although it is nearby, the last time I spent a week in PDX, it was in the days of Mt. St. Helens ash on the sidewalk and Earthquake Ethels).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.