Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report: LAS-DEN-EWR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2000, 12:25 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Trip Report: LAS-DEN-EWR

With loud grunts of "UGH!" the five a.m. wakeup call comes and Milecrazy and I drag ourselves from the Lady Luck to the airport.
We say our so-longs till Tampa a week later and head to our planes.

With no one on the Premier line check in at the regular gate. The woman says I owe United about 2500 mi in upgarde certificates.
I said no, I used miles. Then we discover a major goof: When I re-booked my ticket at EWR Friday the agent credited my account with 10K miles, the miles I used for the upgrade. We find out that those miles were pulled from my return flight (For flights 3hrs or more I use miles AT LEAST ON THE RETURN.)

So the miles are deducted. I don't get my 1b but 1d LAS-DEN and 1a DEN-EWR.

UA shuttle 2702: Boarding starts on time. I was so glad for my upgarded first class seat because the plane looked packed with travelers with lots of bags.

There was NO pre-boarding drinks. (I guess it is not required for Shuttle Flights.) And even though it was COKE, I was DYING for something to wake me up! Even if it was COKE!

Nice F-A in First, who gave us carrot pineapple bread and a Zeebler Vienna Finger.

Flight generally uneventful. Everyone went to sleep and we got in 9 minutes early. We sat on something called a "De-iceing runway" before going to the gate. Never heard of this at DEN, maybe you know what it's about QuantumLeap.

With just over an hour to kill went to the RCC for another COKE (no PEPSI ) and had a nice chat about fishing and the stock market with teh grey haired bartender. Then it was off to my connection.

UA 334: Like the flight from ORD-LAS, I got another airbus. The arriving flight was 15 minutes late so boarding was delayed.

Then they open the doors and if I remember correctly (I was on the phone calling home to check on the kids) the gate agent said becuase boarding is late, only 1Ks would get pre-boarding (besides First Class.) There was some grumbling.

Near the door was a gentleman with a cane and woman with a baby in her arms and two toddlers and her eldernly parents. So I step back to let them board and Mr. "I'm so Important" with his big bags charages past all of us to get on the plane first. He was a real nasty man (and young too, what a waste of youth) who made a face when I tried to put my rollaway in the overhead. He looked at me like I didn't belong. I could have let the bag fall on his head, but didn't.

My luggage is in the overhead on the opposite side of me. A woman boards and asks for the space occupied by my small backpack. I obligue nicely but I don't remember her saying "thank you." It doesn't matter but my aunt would hit me if I didn't use manners.

Not a very friendly collection in First. Everyone seemed sour. But our F-A Scott balanced things out with his friendly manner and professionalism. It was unusual for him to wlak up and say "and how are you today Mr. Blanchard?" He personally greeted all eight passengers in First. Mr. "I'm so important" just grumbles "get me a diet Coke."

Flight takes off on time but we are warned to expect delays before EWR.

The meal choices were a Chicken Ceasar salad or the Filet Mignon which I took. Nice steak, again, sorry, no Ruth's or bern's or Sparks. Nice friendly service by Scott.

I skipped the movie, "the Muse" with Sharon Stone trying to be funny. Saw it before, did absoluately nothing for me. So I listened to the audio channel for "soft sounds" channel or classical. But the tape seems to get hiccups or something at times. Every loud note sounded like it was in a wind tunnel or something broadcasting from out space.

I told Scott of this, he wrote it up and said there must be a problem with the system. I told him I could live with it.

The Airbus must have been owned by antoher airline becuase when I went to use the rest room there was glued to teh sink a soft soap type container with the words "Specially made for Continental airlines."

We get into EWR airspace about 5 minutes late and the captain says because of heavy air traffic we must circle. SOme passengers groaned, but I was just happy to be getting home, whenver.

Finally, after a 25 minute delay on the ground and heading home to catch up on the latest news from the cats and Flyertalk!
Old Feb 1, 2000, 3:18 pm

Continental uses plastic soap bottles on all flights with a grey label around it. I forget which brand it is, but someone can probably help me.
Old Feb 2, 2000, 10:19 am

We may never learn the truth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.