Search

YYC-YYZ-YUL-CDG-DLA (part 1)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 1999, 6:28 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
YYC-YYZ-YUL-CDG-DLA (part 1)

Everything went smoothly on red-eye from Calgary to Toronto plus got the unexpected bonus of an international configuration 767-300! Had a great cold shrimp and marinated turkey breast salad and went promptly to sleep. Picked up an inflight entertainment guide as requested by fellow flyer talker--you'll have to wait a couple of weeks until I return (might have the December one too but doubt it as the plane will be coming in from a November date but you never know.

Got my flight to Montreal changed to the first one in the day since my meeting in Toronto was cancelled. Breakfast was a good vegetable quiche with fruit, scones or cinnamon rolls, juice, coffee etc.--still amazes me for a 55 minute flight. Could have flown on another internationally configured 767 if I had waited until the 7 AM flight.

Off to meet flyme2 for lunch after I get some business (hopefully) settled. Then it is off to Paris this evening collecting menus along the way as requested by Carfield.

Probably no access to phones or internet now for a week and a half so I am going into silent running mode.
Old Nov 22, 1999, 10:52 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
have a safe trip - and from time to time hopefully even a shower with running (hot) water.
Old Nov 22, 1999, 11:44 am

The food on AC's short-haul flights look delicious. I know that AC serves hot breakfast on Y class too. It reminds me of the Hong Kong to Taipei/Kaoshung route. Nearly every airlines (except Thai) serve a hot meal on those short flights. It really makes you feel good.

Thank you for bring me back menus. I really like AC and have always enjoyed reading your post. Thank you once again!

Have a safe trip!

Carfield
Old Nov 22, 1999, 2:08 pm

Had a great meeting with BB in YUL this afternnon. We checked out one of the restaurants being considered for the July FAQ and were happy with the results. BB graciously took care of lunch, so it WILL be my turn when next we meet.
Have a great trip to Cameroon, and if I were you, I'd stick to vegetables.
Old Dec 3, 1999, 8:58 am
Original Member
Original Poster

The saga continued with good flights. After a great afternoon with Rick (flyme2) headed off to Paris on a newer A340 with the Sony Entertainment system. My only complaint -- too many choices!! The entertainment guide did not reflect the choices available but reflected the old style video system with parallel channels. Really enjoyed the Sony system and watched the Mummy--could even pause and fast forward the movie!

Served a noodle salad and ginger noodle stir fry veggie dish (at least I stuck to veggies for the first part of the trip Rick). Then there was that yummy chocolate mousse cake! Lots of good wine, liquers etc. Then off to sleep. Landed pretty much on time in Paris and went straight to Salon L'Espace (AF lounge, which they are always good about letting me use even if I don't have an ongoing AC flight). The private bathrooms are a good place to wash hair, shave and generally feel better. Not as good as AC arrivals in London or Arrivals by Rudi but it beats feeling grubby.
Old Dec 3, 1999, 9:14 am
Original Member
Original Poster

AF flight loaded by row # (HA HA). I know they call the row numbers but NOBODY ever listens so I was in with the rest of the pigs at the front of the line. They could have called my row, I don't know, I was boarding with everyone from Business Class to the smoking section in the back of the plane. The flight was FULL as there had been a failure of one of the planes earlier in the week which backed up everything for days after. I sat next to a travel agent from Douala who had been attending a seminar in France. It took her three days to finally get out. Mustard turkey meal was acceptable but not as good as other AF meals I have had. Economy class seating meant I got a numb butt but hey I'm still tough!! Sure makes me appreciate those AC any fare international upgrades.

Caught some more sleep and landed in Douala as night was falling with good view of Mount Cameroon out my window (highest mountain in west Africa, about 14000 feet, active volcano that erupted in April of this year). Customs/health/immigration lines were unbelievably short and quick and my friends were there to meet me.

The next week was most interesting as I slogged through mountain jungle and thorny understory, sliding down wooded cliff faces and swamps. The real treat was getting stuck for five hours on the road to the villages we are working in. Our four wheel drive had failed and become a one wheel drive -- not good for negotiating monster mud holes. Anyway, about 20 villagers were enlisted to start the process of extracting the vehicle--I went birdwatching--colorful parrots and sunbirds and magnificent hornbills. Dranks some warm beer and by the time I got back 5 hours later the vehicle was just getting out (at dusk). With no way to go back (didn't want to spend another 5 hours in that hole) we had to decide to go the long way around on the "good road". We were assured it would be no problem.

Not more than a km down the road we encountered giant mud hole number 1. The only saving grace was it had a berm next to it that was just wide enough for a vehicle. Only problem it also had a big hole in it but it was crossed with two thick planks (a makeshift bridge that there was no room for error on). We all got out and the driver slowly crept across it. Mud hole after mud hole later we finally arrived at Mamfe hospital which is on the outskirts of town and 250 m on the other side of MEGA mudhole with a six foot deep trench at the bottom of which is a foot and a half of mud and which many people are helped through by pushers whose only job is to get people through the holes. Some people were stuck there for 3 hours, but it only took us an hour. Wouldn't want to get sick in that town and have to get to hospital.

Now we thought GREAT on the main national highways and we had a beer and proceeded south homeward. Passed through a "rain gate" that is designed to keep big trucks off the highways during rains. Got 200m down the road and there was a big truck loaded down with oranges perched precariously with one rear wheel sunk down four feet in a giant hole and leaving only about three feet on the roadside to pass by. Out come the machetes and people start cutting the vegetation in the ditch so we can drive by. An hour later and lots of pushing by more pushers we get by the obstacle. Needless to say the rest of the night was mudhole after mudhole, stuck truck after stuck truck but fortunately no more pushing (we just all got out and walked around each mudhole while our driver maniacally drove into the holes at sufficient speed to plough through to the other side).

Old Dec 3, 1999, 10:13 am

Wow, this is a trip report on the wild side. A 4x4 cliff-hanger! Great writing, BlondeBomber.
Old Dec 24, 1999, 10:08 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Here's some pics for those of you who are interested:

http://members.home.net/friendsof/cameroon.html
Old Dec 24, 1999, 10:24 am
Original Member
Original Poster

And from my pre-FAQ meeting with Rick (Flyme2)

http://members.home.net/friendsof/faq.html
Old Dec 24, 1999, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is very cool, BB! Excellent report, very interesting. Thanks for the wonderful pictures. Your travels are all very intriguing.
Old Dec 27, 1999, 10:06 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
thank you - no birds nowhere at all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.