Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-JFK-BOS-LAX AA Premium Flagship Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 1999, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

LAX-JFK-BOS-LAX AA Premium Flagship Service

This is my first report on this great board.
Had to fly to Boston for a talk but first had a stop in New York
Sept 30 AA Flight 4 LAX-JFK
This 12 noon flight was on a 767-300. My seat was 3D in the first class cabin. As many of you know this aircraft is a three class cabin. Upon boarding we are given a choice of champagne or OJ in plastic as now required by the FDA. The champagne was Chandon and a very good tasting one at that. The entire first and business cabins were full. John Cusack was on our flight and seemed quite nice. However back to the flight. Upon taxi ing to our position the lunch menus were handed out which included a choice of nuts or crudites, a salad of lettuce, thai style chicken, smoked salmon, all served with a malt vinegar type of dressing or a peppercorn. The entrees included salmon, chicken, pasta or a cold plate with the dessert being an absolutely terrific berry and pound cake dessert or an ice cream sundae. Food was quite good. Entertainment selections were good as well, including personal video selections of over 30 movies. I decide to watch The Mummy and actually had time for a second feature, so I chose Life is Beautiful. The service was great and quite attentive ( unlike the return from Boston.) Very interestingly however, the seats in First were the old brown sheepskin seats while the business class section had the new seats which were beautiful. We arrived in JFK after only 4 hours and 26 minutes with hardly a bump to speak of.

BOS-LAX October 2, AA flight 223
Haveing had such a good experience into JFK I was expecting the same. Unfortunately this would not be. The plane was the older 767-200 with only 9 seats in First. I had seat 2D in the middle. On this flight the flight attendants must have forgotten to pick up the menus because there were none given out... a first for me in many years travelling transcontinental. The appetizer was smoked duck and smoked salmon and salad was good with lettuce, lobster claws and a vinegar type of dressing. However, the chicken main entree was horrific as was the dessert. When asking for a soft drink after the meal the flight attendants were in a great conversation and did not want to be bothered. The movie selection was excellent but the viewing screens were quite small. All of the passengers including myself seemed to be squinting quite a bit. Flight took 6 hours and 15 minutes due to strong head winds. Pilot was very informative . The service however was so shabby that I wish there were after-flight evaluation forms to fill in as I am sure that American wants to know how their inflight service is being percieved by their passengers. Oh well, thats all for now. Next trip is to get the 100k bonus from oneworld at the end of the month.
Sam
Old Oct 3, 1999, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice trip report! Thanks!

I do LAX-IAD transcon quite a bit, usually in business. I find AA quite good esp dinner flights. Interesting what a difference a crew makes...
Old Oct 4, 1999, 5:26 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for the report sarecca. Domaine Chandon is my favorite CA producer of "sparkling", as opposed to "still" wines!
Old Oct 4, 1999, 2:52 pm

Nice trip report. Glad to hear it as I do a lot of LAX-JFK-LAX on DL and am always wondering what the other guy's getting.

I agree, a flight crew can make or break the flight.

Not that there's anything wrong with Chandon, but shocked to hear that AA is serving it in Premium F LAX-JFK-LAX. Think they could spring for more than a $12-15 bottle of "sparkling wine" as those F seats can go for $2000 a piece. What's their "non-premium" sparkling wine?

If you recall, what were the red and white wine selections?

the scribbler

[This message has been edited by the scribbler (edited 10-04-1999).]
Old Oct 4, 1999, 9:53 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
The wine selections for me on a very recent AA Transcon in 1st (MIA-LAX) were:

1996 Bargetto Gewurtztraminer
1995 Robert Keenan Napa Valley Chardonnay
1997 Silverado Sauvignon Blanc
1996 Geyser Peak Sonoma County Merlot
1996 Forest Glen Cabernet
1994 King Estate Pinot Noir

They usually have the same wines in rotation each month on a given class of service, so I'd imagine these were probably on the JFK-LAX service. The Pinot was pretty good, as was the Merlot. The cab was ok, but I'm kind of picky with my cabs. AA should at least be serving some decent Vintage Champagne or Sparkling Wine in 1st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.