Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

MCO-DCA-MCO

MCO-DCA-MCO

Old Sep 22, 1999, 1:35 pm
Commander Catcop

You are darn right that you can't say **** or *&^* or any word that requires characters.

This is the word of Commander Catcop.

But Mr. Toad when you come to NYC We'll go to S&W or the Palm (I have NEVER been there) or Ben Benson's or Peter Lugar's so you can have your old fashioned steak.

Every steak place has different meanings for me but with one general principal: Steak is one of the basic food groups for Flyertalkers (except for those of us who are vegetarian who I respect for their wise and healthy choice. And those who don't like beef.)
Old Sep 22, 1999, 1:37 pm
geo1004

Catman: Is there a steak in our future???

Old Sep 22, 1999, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
It occurs to me that every time Catman mentions a restaurant in NYC I feel compelled to mention a different one. So this time I won't.

[This message has been edited by RichG (edited 09-22-1999).]
Old Sep 22, 1999, 4:31 pm

Sorry. Duplicate post. Computer infarction

Old Sep 22, 1999, 4:32 pm

I mean triplicate post. I would have deleted these but I can't. Good thing I didn't drive today.

Old Sep 23, 1999, 11:53 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Alright Essxjay, I'm taking your advice and trying Sam and Harry's tonight with my wife. It's our first night away together since our oldest was born 27 months ago. Hope its good.

Then again, we'll be so happy, it won't really matter. (and yes, I said our oldest is 27 months....the other one is 9 months...as you can see, we need a nice night out)
Old Sep 24, 1999, 9:26 am
Suspended

SAM AND HARRY'S !!!!! I go to D.C. about 15 times per year and you guessed it - I have at least 15 dinners at Sam and Harry's. Try the soft shell crabs when they are in season - the BEST - Morton's a close second and the Palm third - kazman
Old Sep 24, 1999, 4:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Did you all forget Old Town? Sometime you can find good dead cow thwere.
Old Sep 25, 1999, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Meat, glorious meat! Hey Toad, have you tried Charlie's Steakhouse right near you in Oarlandee? Fab cuts, grilled on a top that hasn't been cleaned in years and cigar friendly (at least for now).
Old Sep 26, 1999, 8:27 am
Original Member

Hammertoad, very nice 5-star trip report. You're making me hungry!
Old Sep 27, 1999, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Finishing this up....

Thursday night I took off in search of Sam & Harry's. Strolled by the White House & I could've sworn I heard Dolly Parton singing. Apparently Uncle Billy was havin' hisself a High Porch Picnic. You'd think that paying the rent for that place would get an invite... Secret Service was not amused. What? They have to turn in their sense of humour when they put on their lapel pins?

Wandered around for awhile; finally decided I wasn't really that hungry. Stopped in a few bars & marvelled at the alien bureaucrats deep inside their own worlds. I see the beltway mentality has not changed since I lived there!

After a few too many Guinness (at least they know how to pour them in DC), dinner wound up being room service Pizza Hut pizza & wings. Nothing better to soak up excess alcohol than that!

My upgrade (voice activated again) cleared right on schedule. I do like that system; just wish I could request a specific seat. Wound up in 5E on my direct via MIA 727 flight. Nice flight down, same meal choices as on the way up. I went for the hot turkey sandwich this time and wound up wishing I would've grabbed a Bistro Bag.

Landing at MIA, we were informed that all passengers must exit. I had planned to anyway. No explanation why given, but methinks it was so they could run some dogs through. Got my nicotine fix & then back on the plane.

I still can't figure out why, if someone is in the row in front of the bulkhead, the seat back can't be reclined at all. Any ideas? Seems to me the rule is there in case of an emergency and reclined seat backs would make it more difficult for the folks behind you to get out. Maybe they're just trying to uniformly apply the rule...

Bumpy, bumpy, bumpy flight MIA-MCO. Didn't even get my drink as the Cap'n told the FA's to sit down fairly soon after take-off. The FA in first probably would have made an effort to serve our drinks first, but waiting for luggage, I noticed my seat mate was part of the Flight Safety crew. Maybe that explains the seat-back thing, too? Short flight and none the worse for wear.

Traffic home was unusually heavy... 1.5 hours to go 32 miles. Sure wish I got paid by the hour during those trips!

One final note for any skinflints out there - Checking my rate card at the Marriott, I noticed (for the first time) the fine print saying "Guest agrees to pay .50 per day for delivery of USA today, (plus .38 for WSJ concierge floor only). You are allowed to refuse this, so one could decline the newspaper and then grab one of the freebies from the pile at the front desk. I'm fairly certain the Marriott doesn't pay .50 for a USA Today... wonder how much profit they make from that each year?

Cheers,

'toad

[This message has been edited by Hammertoad (edited 09-27-1999).]
Old Sep 30, 1999, 1:56 pm
Original Member

Hammertoad:
Why did you ever go from MCO to DCA through MIA, especially if your final destination was in Tyson's Corner? You could have gone non-stop to IAD. Oh, well.
The others have already answered. There is a Palm (on 19th St.), and the Prime Rib is one of the best in the world, not only for prime rib, but for other kinds of dead cow, as well - although you need coat and tie, and a reservation a week out. Ruth's Chris is another of my favorites (Catman will attest), but it's a bit hard to get to. In DC, if you don't have a car or can't walk, be careful. Cab drivers take a test to get their license: Two parts, English language and DC geography. Pass either part = NO LICENSE.
Old Oct 1, 1999, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Phil - Tysons was first destination; JW Marriott on Penna was last destination. Didn't want an hour cab ride when I left!

Good thing I didn't try the Palm... no coat; no tie. I like to bring my Florida 'culture' with me wherever I go!

Cheers,

'toad
Old Oct 2, 1999, 7:17 am

Re USAToday charge - no doubt Marriott is making some money on the deal. But if I'm remembering correctly (it's been a couple years since I read an article about this, and those charges have been around for a while) the real driver behind that charge was USAToday!

Apparently it's linked to Ad Revenue. Although us business traveler's probably assume USAT is the most read paper in the world (due to its prevalence in hotels, airports, etc) apparently advertisers aren't that enamored by the circulations numbers. Something about number of people who actually PAY for the paper, vs. just picking up a freebie at a hotel. So, in order to boost PAID individual purchases of the USAT, to manipulate the numbers going to the advertisers, that arrangement you noted has been worked out with a number of different hotels. And as I noted initially, it's probably win win for both USAT & the hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.