Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Help choosing ASIAN airline...

Old Sep 22, 1999, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Hello,
I have lots of miles and am planning a first class trip to the Phillipines. Of Asiana, or Cathay Pacific which airline has the highest quality service/seats/food for a trans pacific flight????? Sleeper seats???
Thanks for your response!!!
Old Sep 22, 1999, 10:56 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Both are fine but I'd go CX!
Old Sep 22, 1999, 2:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
I agree with doc, go with CX.

Cheers Scott
Old Sep 22, 1999, 3:04 pm

me too...CX.
Old Sep 22, 1999, 4:19 pm

No doubt about it - CX!
Old Sep 23, 1999, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Another vote for CX... I've never had the pleasure of First but business class to HK is a very nice experience.
Old Sep 23, 1999, 5:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Hands down CX.
Old Sep 24, 1999, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses!!!
Any one know if Cathay AND/OR Asiana has slepper seats on these trans-pac flights in First???????
Old Sep 25, 1999, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
CX only has recently installed their new sleeper seats on 2 of their aircraft (17 more to go) but these are only deployed on the London routes.

The óld´seats are still extremely comfortable but one travels on CX for the service, food and reliability. I´ve had the experience on travelling on the óld´seats to London once and I was extremely impressed - they are better than BA´s flat beds too !

You have to note however, that CX only offers First Class on their lonh haul fleet - meaning 747-400 and A340-300 aircraft. All other aircraft only have Business Class seatings.

Still, they have excellent service.

Asiana on the other had DO offer their fully flat beds between US and Seoul. (They also have a much better safety record than the other Korean airliner).

Old Sep 25, 1999, 5:32 am
doc

Asiana anyone? As I said above, they are both quite good and though Asiana is a relative "newbie."

Celestar340- they have a better safety record but they have ben sverely criticised for havig too many young pilots with minimal training flying those nice new aircraft, as you may know. I'd definitely take them however, if CX were not available.

How are things in Cachubie?
BTW- Where is Cachubie?
Old Sep 25, 1999, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Celestar340!! Have you ( or any one else here ) actually enjoyed those first class sleeper seats on Asiana?? -- to get to the Phillipines, from LAX, Asiana would be easier for me than Cathay.
DOC: HAHA!! my nic is a silly play on words from a Star Wars character.....Obie....
(ok it was a stretch...)
Old Sep 26, 1999, 10:50 am
Original Member

A coworker was on Asiana in business(codesharing with AA) and was very disappointed---enough to write to AA to say "how can you codeshare on this...". I know food service was high on his list of concerns (lots of Korean food, little US food).

jl

[This message has been edited by jamiel (edited 09-26-1999).]
Old Sep 26, 1999, 12:03 pm
doc

Yes I noted Asiana added four flights/week between LAX and Seoul, thus now providing 2x service daily, but look at the poll results! You may want to go CX!
Old Sep 27, 1999, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
If food is high on your list (and it is on mine), then go for CX.

CX also has the most amazing First Class lounge in Hong Kong. Enough to blow any other First Class lounges away.....waiter service for your drinks, dining room service for full dinner, free drinks....shower facilities, and if you like, even a jacuzzi for two!

OneWorld Emerald members also have access to this lounge when flying a oneworld flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.