Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report: EWR-YYZ (LONG!)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 1999, 11:20 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Trip Report: EWR-YYZ (LONG!)

Now that I am a bit rested and with Shirley Manson and Garbage playing in the background I'll catch up on trip reports.

17 Sept AC 737: I get to EWR with clear skies and optimism about an on-time departure. Get in the Star Alliance Gold line at the A-C counter. When I near the desk I stare at this agent who stares at me for about 2 minutes (I never go over to a gate unless called first.) He finally snarls "YES?" I approach, tell him I want to check in and he says because of Floyd the airport was flooded and all the A-C computers are DOWN and I have to go to the gate to check-in. (I had NO carry on, otherwise I would have had to wait with the rest of the poor souls on the growing regular line.) The agent never tells me what gate to go to, but I know it already.

So I trek to the gate. Security puts my rollaway through the x-ray machine three times. I ask why and they ignore me. Maybe they wanted to show Old Gold's famous Flyertalk luggage tag to everyone.

Get to the gate and once again am told the flood shut down the computers, come back in 15 minutes. They said they had to find a way to get the manifest (either by another computer or faxing from Canada.)

So I go pay for an overpriced hotdog at the stand nearby (No A-C Maple Leaf club ) and I ask the bartender for Sam Adams in the BIGGEST GLASS they had!

Back to the gate a second time. They check off my name and give me a manual ticket. (NOW I will wait 3-4 wks before sending it to get my miles.) I joke if there was a chance at an upgrade and the agent just glared at me. I sat down and waited.

We ended up taking off a half hour late. The plane arrive yet and because of all the manual tickets check-in took forever.

The F-A's were among the nicest I've ever flown with. I kept saying HAPPY FRIDAY andthe one woman said "I wish, I have a few more flights ahead." They apologized for the delay, ditto the captain.

Nice to hear all the instructions in French, although the F-A's French was better than English.

Interesting thing: the beautiful blonde F-A came up to each person in the Exit row and personally asked if they could handle emergency duties and explained how to work the doors and help passengers. I liked that.

Flight was quick, and the usual basket of snacks. I took the LAYS, but they had cookies and nuts. I wish the DOMESTIC airlines would do the same. Let us choose instead of just shoving Vienna fingers at us (U-A Shuttle flights.)

Flight ended up being 35 minutes late. Customs went fast although when I said that I was meeting friends she asked twice if I planned to bring them alcohol and cigarettes. I said NO, why should I becuase I can buy it in Toronto.

OK GUYS! I hear you earning double snoring POINTS! WAKE UP! Members of The Secret Society of Flyertalk women are all awake and enjoying this!

So a shuttle bus between terminal 2 and 3 (where I am to meet TribeFlyer.) The woman )who admitted she was in her final runs) was very giddy. I noticed a pretty full bus but she insisted on putting me on.

WHAT A MISTAKE!

I ended up on the stairs between the door and the bus, beyond the white safety line. Mr. IDIOT next to me ignored my repeated pleas to move in a bit (there was a little room.)

SO everytime the bus made the sharp turns, I almost went flying out the door or the windshield. The Bus driver was telling me "OH relax, this is fun and it's my Friday." Mr Idiot was made I kept stepping on his shoe.

I made it to Terminal 3 in one piece but very shaken. She didn't check if I was ok.

So off to Terminal 3. TribeFlyer's flight ended up being just over an hour late but I waited happily, we met and headed for the North of the Border celebration! (One of the Cat's Rules is I ALWAYS WAIT FOR MY FRIENDS AS LONG AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE. EVEN IF IT'S SEVERAL HOURS!)

Stay tuned for more reports!
Old Sep 20, 1999, 3:17 pm

Programs: No status anymore. Former CO PLT, NW PLT, AS MVP
Ahh, I remember getting the same service on AC several years ago. I think the Transportation Ministry in Canada requires the personal discussion regarding the window exits. It may have saved a life or two.

------------------
Michael
OnePass Platinum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.