Search

New Orleans Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 1999, 5:21 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
New Orleans Trip Report

Okay, so I live in the New Orleans Metro area anyway, but I still think this may be of interest to all.

On Wednesday decided to spend the night downtown, but much to my surprise I could not find a hotel room (later found out that CA World is in town this week, which needless to say is a HUGE convention). Called my American Express travel agent and she got me a $119/night room at the Omin Royal Orleans Hotel (Run of House).

Drove down to the hotel around 3:00 PM and checked in. Fast check in and agent informed me we had been upgraded to a Petite Suite. Go up to the room, very nice appointments and nice and big (two easy chairs and a pull out couch along with the usual stuff) and a huge bathroom, with *lots* of towels (nice touch!).

We check out the roof top pool, fitness center (very nice) and observation deck. Overall this property was a very nice property, and the location is GREAT (one block off of Bourbon, right in the heart of the French Quarter). I would now definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming to town wanting to stay in the French Quarter unless you absolutely have to have a balcony on Bourbon Street (for which there are still only two choices, Best Western Inn on Bourbon and the Royal Sonesta Hotel).

For dinner we went to the Court of the Two Sisters, which my girlfriend really wanted to go to. Dinner was great and the service was excellent.

Next we headed down to a little bar and met some friends (typical neighborhood bar in the Wharehouse District) and then headed to the Storyville District on Bourbon Street for a concert/fundraiser. Storyville was a very nice club, two live bands playing at the same time (the club basically has three pretty big rooms, each with its own bar). Nice club for music and drinking.

After the evening's entertainment we headed back to the hotel. I was surprised when we got back because the bed had been turned down (we had not requested it), I've never had a hotel turn down a bed (because I never request it).

Check out in the morning was quick and painless through the TV (and I noticed you could order breakfast for the next day through the TV too ... nice touch).

The next morning we decided to try the world famous "Breakfast at Brennan's", which was only half a block from the hotel. This was a huge disappointment. What they do is seat a whole room at the same time, so everyone's meal runs at the same time (appetizers, main courses, desert), but needless to say this resulted in very slow and overall poor service. I was not at all impressed.

Summary[*]Omni Royal Orleans Hotel ~ Five stars, my recommendation for a French Quarter Hotel unless you absolutely have to have the balcony on Bourbon Street.[*]Court of Two Sisters Restraunt ~ Five stars[*]Storyville District Jazz Club ~ Five stars[*]Breakfast at Brennan's ~ Two stars (great food but dismal service)
Old Jul 19, 1999, 12:55 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
thank you (this goes into my file for mardi-gras in march-2003).
Old Jul 19, 1999, 11:22 am
Commander Catcop

Thanks for the advice on Brennan's.

A great place for BRUNCH is Commander's Palace, of course if you are there on a weekday I don't know if the COmmander is serving breakfast.

Great trip report... four paws up and a fresh Hurricane (The drink not the weather system!)
Old Jul 19, 1999, 12:08 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Although it is called "Breakfast at Brennan's" it really is Brunch, so it is comparable. From what I'm told an excellent place for breakfast/brunch that we'll try next time is Mr. B's Bistro on Royal Street.
Old Jul 19, 1999, 12:21 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Great report and Thanks!

COmmanders Palace is an absolute steal for lunch or brunch! my favorite.

Mister B's Bistro is also quite good and a favorite among many in this dellightful town for eating.

Bayona's (Susan Spicer), formerly of Bistro at Maison de Ville is just tremendous!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.