Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Report- W New York

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 1999, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Hotel Report- W New York

Just got back from a wonderful-albeit brief weekend trip-to NYC. A frequent guest of Starwood properties, this was my first stay at a "W" property (the W Hotel NYC, Lex and 49) ... and I must say I was quite impressed.

The room (standard)--small but fashionably decorated (painted leaf print detail on the walls) with neat amenities (mini-metallic pens, a remote keypad that allows internet/email access, a cordless phone)

The clientele--diverse, probably heard more foreign languages spoken here than at any other Starwood property

The front lounge area--comfortable leather chairs, lots of open space, big columns shooting up toward the ceiling, a mini-bar

All in all a rather hip place with the right amount activity. A nice place to peoplewatch.

The only downside was that the check-in terminals at the front desk are too close together (get a squished in feeling) and I did catch a bit of an attitude among the staff (mistakenly charged twice for the room, no apology)...

jexjex

I'm definitely considering staying at the new W in San Francisco next time in town there-though the St. Francis sure is nice.

------------------

Old Jul 12, 1999, 10:25 am
Commander Catcop

Thanks for the hotel report jexjex.

I liked the "W" hotel if only for the comfortable down bed and the large bathroom.
The staff was a bit on the snooty side and I felt insulted at Mr. Cindy Crawford's bar when I asked for a Sam Adams. The bartender looked at me like I was some alien.

My W hotel Review is at: http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/Foru...ML/000031.html

If you can go to the St. Francis. I did not put out a hotel report becuase of lack of time but it's a hotel in the classic sense, right in the middle of everything. There are other options in San Francisco...

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 07-12-1999).]
Old Jul 12, 1999, 12:29 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Catman- I'm not sure but Starwood may be spelling snooty with a "W" these days as a marketing ploy to keep out the rif raf and charge higher prices for a Sheraton! This hotel does have a pretty good location though!
Old Jul 12, 1999, 3:02 pm
Original Member

all I know is that I would avoid the W in ATL.
Old Jul 12, 1999, 4:23 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

The W in SF is South of Market (SOMA). Great if you want to go to the bars, clubs, resturants (Hawthorne Lane is very close) and just OK if you like to shop.
Old Jul 12, 1999, 7:12 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I read an article on the W in Atlanta somewhere, and it didn't get very high marks needless to say!

Last time I was in Atlanta I stayed at the Hyatt Swites NW Perimeter which is a couple of miles from the W, and that was very nice hotel with huge suites, and the weekend rate I stayed at was very reasonable ($69/night).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.