Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report: ORD-EWR (VERY LONG!)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 1999, 12:05 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Trip Report: ORD-EWR (VERY LONG!)

Or the Cat's feutal attempts to try to get home at a reasonable hour. (It was a FULL MOON, maybe that had something to do with it!)

Check-in at the PremEx line took about five minutes. The regular coach line went one for every. So did the FIRST CLASS/Premier line (WHY would they combine these two levels, they are so different.)

The agent tells me I can get on standby for the 3:30p or go on my originally scheduled 4:45p flight and have my upgraded seat confirmed. So I took the first class seat. Interesting that THIS TIME THEY ASKED FOR 1000 MI in Certificates. So I hand them over.

BIG, BIG MISTAKE!!!

With two hours plus to kill and in no mood to go to terminal L and find the Delta Crown Room I went to Bergoff's cafe. Waiting in line Mr. Mustachoed at the ice cream cashier asks for my order. I thought strange since they were taking orders in front of the food. SO I gave him mine: a Bratwurst with sauerkraut and a Beer. He also takes orders from several other people telling them NO CHARGE> He adds there was extra money on this big UA food voucher because the old lady who had it only wanted a cup of coffee.

Mass COnfusion because people went to checkout and were told we had to pay. I ended up getting the BratWurst for free but was told the vouchers do NOT pay for alcohol

NO problem, I pay and end up sitting with this dude who was still bombed from his best buddy's wedding saturday night and telling me not to get married. His alcohol breath made me smashed!

So I go to the gate for my 4:45p flight at four only to hear "FLIGHT 656 to EWR is cancelled." Run right to customer service and after waiting in line an hour am told I can go on standby for the 5:30p and can get confirmed for the 6:30p with a chance at First."

Take both, but I remind the clerk that I used my U-A certificates and wanted some type of reinbursement. So I get two One way Segment upgrades (HHUUMM< I can use these for the next long distance F-T get together or give to a dear F-T friend.)

The 5:30p flight is overbooked.

The 6:30p has NO gate assignment and the departure time changes to 7:15p, 7:45p, 7:50p... which prompts me to go BACK to Customer service. At 7:15p (another hour wait) I get on the 7:30p and run to the gate.

The 6:30p flight is now listed to depart at 8:55p. The plane has NOT arrived yet.

Flight ends up being a half hour delayed because they wanted to fill the plane with standbys.

Ende dup in seat 7A. right byt he window. The woman next to me was kind of upset because her husband was all the way in the back of th eplane. She ended up taking with the doctor in 7C, both in the medical profession. They both ignored me.

Meal looked like mush. The F-A handed it to me and I handed it right back. It was some Chicken in sauce mushed with rice and vegetables. I can eat at home.

The other F-A from First who looked like Calista Flockhart with a few more pounds had to help with the cleanup. I tried to hand over my Can of Coke and the cup and she snidely )Like Ally McBeal) said "OH you will have to wait until I collect everyone's trays (all of which had cans of soda and empty cups on them. All she had to do was put mine on one of the tohers.)

So Calista came back later and snatched the Crumbled up can of Coke and cup. Guess she was made she had to help with COACH cleanup.

Flight ended up being a half hour late getting in. I was so burend I took a SICK DAY from work. (I had an excuse... throbbign headache, lack of sleep, aggrevation and almost being knocked over by Calista Flockhart as I came out of the rest room.)

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 28, 1999, 11:42 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

If your Segment Upgrades are Service Checks, they are good for use to Hawaii!
Old Jun 29, 1999, 4:13 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Catman,

Next time don't stand in line at customer service, head for the nearest phone and call the PremEx number. They can book you on another flight much faster. Then ask about your upgrade certificate reimbursement after you've got your new flight. You'll feel much less stressed in line.

Better yet, join the RCC...
Old Jun 29, 1999, 6:51 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Better yet, fly DL where they rebook you automatically based on your status/fare paid/etc when a flight is cancelled!
Old Jun 29, 1999, 9:37 am
Original Member

Beckles,

Delta is a non-starter for me because they won't let you upgrade the cheapest fares. If United ever pulls that I will drop them so fast smoke will rise from my 1K card.

United has always automaticallly rebooked me on the next available flight. It still is worth checking either on the phone or (if 1K) at the 1K center because I'm very picky about what planes I fly. I'd rather wait another hour in the Denver RCC and fly a 757 in First back to Seattle than get the "automatic" next flight on a 737 in coach.

QL
Old Jun 29, 1999, 12:32 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

The PremEx line was busy, and my cell phone was dying> Of course in my state I did not think of the PremEx line! Thank you Tropical Flyer, I am an idiot!

I had three people tell me (one verbally, two by e-mail) that I should just bite the bullet and pay for an RCC membership.

As my friend James said considering all the travel I do it's worth the investment. He notes I can just go right to the RCC get my tickets there and relax away from screaming couples and crying babies and people sparwled out on five seats.

I did not add to my trip report that I had to sit on the floor because there was no room at the waiting areas.

the Delta club was in Terminal L and I was too flustered to go hunting for it.

I walked by the RCC club 15 times and stood at teh door.

(while chorus of "come join us CATMAN" chanted inside like the whining Delta singing children theme!)

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 06-29-1999).]
Old Jun 29, 1999, 9:22 pm
Original Member

CATMAN: Doesn't your Delta Crown Room card get you into RCC now if you're flying United?

QuietLion
Old Jun 30, 1999, 6:18 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
QuietLion ~ You think DL would let Catman buy a CRC membership?

He's got the Priority Pass, which now includes most domestic CRC's.
Old Jun 30, 1999, 11:15 am
Original Member

Oh man... I gotta get me one of those Priority Passes or I might miss a chance encounter with the CATMAN somewhere..sometime...!

QuietLion
Old Jun 30, 1999, 12:02 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

The Priority Pass membership is not reciprocal to include U-A RCC as well as Delta. But I have written to Priority Pass saying that they should push U-A into accepting their card.

Then y'all see me all the time smiling with a PEPSI (or COKE) on workdays, Beer on non-work trips relaxed in the RCC lounge!

Mr. Lion: if you want to find me, just follow the strands of white and yellow and gold and orange cat hairs that adorn my luggage, clothes, etc. Especially more evident in summer when the cats shed for a summer coat!

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jul 2, 1999, 3:39 pm
Original Member

CATMAN: I'll be sure to follow the yellow cat-hair road!

QuietLion
Old Jul 2, 1999, 5:11 pm

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
Follow the Yellow Hair Road
Follow follow follow follow

We're off to see the Catman
The Wonderful Catman of Paws

[Trying to get Siamese beige fur off of black slacks and Siamese brown fur off of tan slacks. Cantankerous continuous coloured cat.]
Old Jul 3, 1999, 6:21 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

OMNI: a little wooden sign in my kitchen says:

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have a little cat hair on their clothes."

I knew I could trust you Q-L.

Nice ditty too.

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jul 3, 1999, 3:13 pm
In Memoriam

Back to the upgrades, I agree that it's disappointing to get bounced back to coach, but United is pretty fair to give us a confirmable upgrade good for long-hauls in North America (except Alaska, Hawaii, and San Juan)...even though the original flight (and coupon) may have been for much shorter. In fact, the last one I got because they changed aircraft after my waitlist for an upgrade cleared, but before I had given them my upgrade coupons!

[This message has been edited by johna (edited 07-03-1999).]
Old Jul 3, 1999, 8:35 pm

Just thought I'd let you know Catman...I've got 3 felines. Orange, black & calico means I have a chance to have little hairs on every piece of clothing I own!!

Oh yeah...as soon as I put my garment bag or suitcase on the bed to pack, at least 2 of them jump into it.

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 07-03-1999).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.