Search

Key West Adventures

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 1999, 5:56 pm
EMD
Original Member
Original Poster

Key West Adventures

Just returned from my second trip to Key West - the first flying in - LOVED the Miami airport - clean, lots of stuff to do - LOVED the Red Carpet Club in the E terminal - self serve drinks!!!!!!!!! - - Stayed at the Sheraton - not nearly as nice as the Marriott Casa Marina - not even close - had breakfast at a great little French place at the end of Duval - Banana Cafe - highly recommend it!! dinner at Turtle Kraals - as usual - food was great - as usual.
Old Jun 15, 1999, 7:07 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The Sheraton is a very new hotel down there (the Hilton is about the only major one that may be newer), but it's location is extremely inconvenient in general. It's convenient to the beach, but that's about it, everything else is a trek (as much of a trek as anything can be on such a small island anyway!).

I'm KWHS class of 1991, so I'm quite familiar with the place, but unfortunately I haven't been back since 1993. Catman and I were discussing that the second PiP should definitely be in Key West ...

Old Jun 15, 1999, 11:36 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sadly I haven't been there since college in '74. That's 1974! It was extremely quiet then as you probably know- very different!
Old Jun 16, 1999, 12:42 pm
Original Member

My running joke is that I went often to Key West in the late 80s-----and spent 15 mins each time! I was a mystery shopper for KFC Corporation and checked the chicken along US 1 several times. Would fly into EYW, rent a car, then hit Key West, Marathon and Key Largo on the way back north. Sure beat driving both ways!
Old Jun 16, 1999, 1:12 pm
Commander Catcop

Well, there are at least four Flyertalkers with a like for Key West.

I may be in the minority on this one but I propose a F-T get-together (if not a PIP) in the home of Buffett, Cuban food and Key Lime PIe!

Plus: It was the birthplace of the first "international" flight on Pan Am: Key West to Havana in 1920 something (before we were all here... except maybe arturo!)

Correct me if I'm wrong on that!!!

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 16, 1999, 8:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Also home to Hemmingway at one time and another...

I'm there whenever. Will need wheelchair assistance to leave tho...
Old Jun 17, 1999, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
A wonderful place - we vacationed there a few years back and plan to return.

I'm not surprised that Catman likes the idea. The Key West cats, many of them supposedly descended from Hemingway's and having an extra toe, are famous!
Old Jun 21, 1999, 5:30 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
from the NY Sunday Times (june-20-99)

Hemingway Key West Bash

Ernest Hemingway, who was born in Oak Park, Ill., on July 21, 1899, spent most of the 1930's in Key West, where he wrote "A Farewell to Arms," "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and other novels. For nearly 20 years, Key West has been celebrating his stay with a series of generally raucous summer events: arm-wrestling, key lime pie-eating contests, late-night parties at Sloppy Joe's (a Hemingway watering hole) and, of course, Hemingway look-alike competitions. This year's 10-day festival, which begins on July 16, will adhere to this schedule, although there are a few new and expanded offerings. Organizers are expecting 25,000 Hemingway fans, and accommodations are filling up fast.

Unless otherwise noted, the following events are free.

At 6 P.M. on July 16, there will be a reception at the Hemingway House, the author's Spanish colonial house at 907 Whitehead Street, which will be officially added to the Literary Landmark Register. On July 18, a photography exhibition called "Hemingway in Cuba" will go on display at the Sam Carlos Institute at 516 Duval Street. Information: (305) 294-3887.

Sloppy Joe's, 201 Duval Street, will have a Hemingway birthday party on July 21, beginning at 9 A.M. and lasting until 4 A.M. There will be live music and a 500-pound birthday cake ($1 a slice). Information: (305) 294-5717. The Hemingway Look-Alike Contest will be held at Sloppy Joe's (preliminaries at 7 P.M. July 22 and 23, with finals at 7 P.M. on July 24). The Running of the Bulls (with "bulls" made of beer kegs and wood) will also be on July 24, at 2 P.M., as will a parade to a twilight party at the Hemingway House, and an all-day Caribbean Street Fair on Duval Street.

Among the other events are a three-day marlin-fishing tournament, beginning July 22 -- information (305) 292-2710 -- and a series of literary workshops and readings by various writers (including Lorian Hemingway, Ernest Hemingway's granddaughter) and lectures on Hemingway and on writing in general.

Information: the Hemingway Days Festival, (305) 294-2918.
Old Jun 21, 1999, 10:21 am
Commander Catcop

Thank you Rudi for reminding me about the Hemmingway festival.

Whatever city in Florida emerges as the FLorida party place... then maybe we can call it the "FlyerTalk Florida Festival" It might be too crowded to go the weekend of the Hemmingway festival... but I'm still secretly hoping that Key West is our final destination.

I will go anywhere the majority wants. See, I"m not catty.

But I would LOVE to see teh Hemmingway cats which are named after famous movie stars.

I can just image how cute "MEG" and "Michelle" look!

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 22, 1999, 7:07 am

I will be in the Keys in August any suggestions for a really nice resturant for dinner, it will be our anniversary and I would like to take my husband somewhere really special. We just got back from New Orleans and fell in love with K-Pauls resturant great food and service.
Old Jun 22, 1999, 9:00 am
geo1004

EMD: I do not think I have EVER heard anyone say they "LOVED the Miami airport" before. Although the new terminal where BA's flights depart/arrive is quite nice.

I, too, would be up for a Key West FT Gathering... I wonder if arturo's
Gulfstream V can land there????

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 06-22-1999).]

Old Jun 22, 1999, 10:00 am

The runway at EYW is a bit limited, though it's very odd what planes can and can't fly into there. For instance the 727 (Piedmont and then US Air used to have 727 flights into EYW) can fly into EYW but a CRJ can not!
Old Jun 22, 1999, 1:51 pm
Commander Catcop

Count me in for a Key West get together.

But may I propose that someone propose this under a separate thread under FLYERTALK GetTogethers so we can gague support.

You don't have to ask me twice to come (If I can fit it in my schedule!)

As for restaurants, The last few times I did not go to the finer places out of embarassment of dining alone (plus the places were booked.)

There is the Pier House which has good restaurants. And there are several Cuban restaurants with very good food.

Plus SOME MUSTS:

*See the daily sunset show where people line up on the boardwalk and appalud the sun going down.
*The Hemmingway House. You can skip the cat stuff but I normally spend 2 hours ther eplaying with the cats.
*Slobby Joes, the perfect F-T get together place.

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 22, 1999, 2:18 pm

I don't know that the restraunts in the Pier House are really all that good. The thing about Key West is I can't really think of any "spectacular" restraunts off hand ... but I'm sure there are some I can't recall ...

My mother used to work at the Bagatelle, which is a very nice place with good food on Duval street around the 100 or 200 block or so. It's a great big white house with porches that you can't miss. Definitely try to get a table on one of the porches!

Another highly recommended place (and I believe someone mentioned it around here recently) is the Turtle Kraals, definitely casual, but good seafood and some interesting sights at the restraunt.
Old Jun 23, 1999, 12:59 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
my first time in the US (with Gisela, in 1972 on a stand-by-visit-US-pass of smaller carriers like OZARK, Allegheny, etc) we also stayed for some nights in Key Biscayne.

One early afternoon we spontaneously and very naif decided (with our rented car) to make a "quic"k excursion-trip to the keys - we still laugh today when we think back to that decision: the "quick" detour turned out to be endless, and we had to give up before we did one third of the distance.

It was then we learned not to underestimate distances (in miles, not km) in the US - and we haven't even been to Texas yet ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.