Search

CHA-CLT-PHL and back

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 1999, 12:28 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
CHA-CLT-PHL and back

This one did not get off to the best of starts--normally, CHA allows persons other than the passenger to go past security. This morning, they were not allowing it. Apparently, the X-ray machine was down and they were having to hand-search every bag. One shudders to think of the chaos you'd get at Hartsfield under the circumstances...

Flights are pretty uneventful (I slept thru them...) except for a baggage-claim machine that kept stopping for no apparent reason.

Philly was ok (hotel--Holiday Airport--under renovation, so no restaurant--hit Philly Diner instead). Lunch at Uno in the (254-year-old) New Market (not quite as screwy a name as the Pont Neuf, but it'll do), one of two pizzerie I make a point of hitting whenever I'm in a town that has one.

Get to the airport around 4:30 for a 6:05 departure. It took a while to tell the guy what flight i was on (silly me, I forgot the number), a few hundred keystrokes later (and an attempt to confirm that I'm going to Charleston--which I'm not, that's CHS, we're CHA, we had CHA ever since it was a train-depot code), he's taken me off the flight, indicating they expect to cancel for mechanical difficulties, and manages to confirm me on the 5:40. (Better plane too--the original would have been a DC9, and my hips--even just counting the bones--are wider than its seats; the new plane is an Airbus.) This leaves me not-quite enough time to eat, so the burger comes on the plane with me. As we wait, and wait... the FA gets on the intercom and tells three standby passengers to get off the plane! Apparently, they did in fact cancel the 6:05, and decided to have the crew deadhead with us. (No repeat of the Delta fiasco--they made them sit in the same middle seats the standbys had been given.) One more standby was sent off later, then we finally push back... and are now #15 in line. Amazingly, we make it only five minutes after I was originally supposed to be there... and as I head for my gate, I notice a California Pizza Kitchen (the other one I cannot resist). Needless to say, by the time I get that, we're boarding, and that comes on too.

To add one final touch of weirdness, the F/A on the leg home announces, "If your itinerary involves a connection on US Airways or US Airways Express in Chattanooga, please check the television monitors..." I am amazed the entire plane didn't fall into the aisle laughing. CHA doesn't have any monitors, and any US or US* flight from CHA would take you right back to CLT! (The only way you can connect other than an interline in Chattanooga at all is to take DL* ATL-CHA-CVG--but why?)

[This message has been edited by silverpie (edited 05-04-99).]
Old May 3, 1999, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
Silverpie:

Good report but as a native Chicagoan, I must recommend that you go to Uno's in Chicago. All other Uno's will pale in comparison. I ate at the Uno's in Union Station in Washington DC & swore never again to eat at Uno's outside Chicago! If Uno's in Chicago is full, try Due's down the street (same restaurant, just the 2nd location, whereas Uno's was the first). On the other hand, CPK tends to be wonderful no matter where you go!

------------------
Regards,
- Anna

Old May 3, 1999, 2:13 pm
Commander Catcop

Nice report Silverpie in spite of the delays.
I think I would throw a hiss fit if they had to search my bags (imagine the look when they find a picture of my cats!)

C-P=K is very good wherever you go. I went to the one at the Mirage in Vegas, always crowded but I settle for the counter. They have Sam Adams and (until Pepsi sold its interest) PEPSI.
Old May 4, 1999, 8:34 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
The one in CLT does serve Pepsi. (It's actually a CPK ASAP--only about seven different pizzas, but they do include mine.)

Thanks for the tip on Uno/Due (the one bad one I've encountered from them was the Express in ORD terminal 5--the only terminal where the food is before security). What's the el stop for them?
Old May 4, 1999, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
The closest el stop to Uno's is Grand & State on the Red Line. Uno's is located at Ohio & Wabash so you would need to walk 1 block east (toward the lake & Michigan Ave. which you would see as a street above you about 2 blocks away) and 1 block north (toward the (soon-to-be) old location of the Shriner's circus). Due's is just down 1 more block north at Ontario & Wabash, you can see it from Uno's. Hope this helps & let me know if you can make it to Chi-town again!

------------------
Regards,
- Anna

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.