Reload this Page >

Fishing in Alaska via Alaska Airlines First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fishing in Alaska via Alaska Airlines First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Awe inspiring pictures of Alaska. Such a beautiful state.

I lived in PDX for 8 years before moving to FL two years ago and flew AS almost exclusively up and down the coast and to TX and ORD. I often saw the windows that you took a picture of. It's like they clean them with a wet rag and let them dry without a wiping them.

Enjoy Alaska!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Thanks for the great first part of your report! Looks like you had an amazing trip, and the views from your flight in Alaska look incredible.

I've flown AS once in F, from SEA-MSP, and while I found the service to be very good, I found the food to be quite strange (not like the eggplant dish with tortellini though ..., but it was a sandwich that was pretty lacking in flavor. I found myself to be quite full following the flight.

Looking forward to your return flight!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
super awesome pictures from the little plane!! just awesome.. thanks, todd
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
So, will there be any 3 am pictures of Mrs. SFO777 approved by her?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Since we were up early and hadn't had a chance for breakfast, we headed out for an early lunch at Humpy's, an Anchorage institution.
They open at 11am and there were already a few people lined up waiting to get in.

Fun atmosphere and great food.

My halibut sliders were delicious.

Then on the road for the pretty 2.5 hour drive down the Kenai Peninsula to Soldotna.

To our home for the next 4 nights, a Kenai River Loft owned by Bob's Cabins.

After we settled in, we head off to dinner at St. Elias, the supposed best restaurant in town. Great beer but not so sure about the food.

Carbs anyone??

And back to the cabin where Mrs. SFO777 and I headed to bed while SFO777Jr headed down to the dock to fish... until midnight. Hey, it was still light.

Last edited by SFO777; Jul 23, 2016 at 12:15 am
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DanielW
Awesome photo's from Alaska, SFO777, such amazing scenery.
Thank you DanielW.

Originally Posted by Chugach
@SFO777, believe it or not AS has upgraded their F food offerings. I am guessing you didn't get to experience the Cubano that was on almost every single AS flight I took in F over 90 minutes for at least a year. DL setting up shop in Seattle has done much to spur advances in the AS product recently. I don't think AS will squander this opportunity with VX, but it's going to mean big changes for an airline that has historically never had to compete much between a near monopoly within Alaska and little nonstop competition from SEA or PDX.
Thanks very much Chugach. It will be interesting to see how things play out in the merger.

Originally Posted by TM78
Photos from your sightseeing trip are amazing. It will be again great TR as always from you.
Thanks TM78.

Originally Posted by benjahman
Great TR SFO777 My father worked for ATT/Alascom for 30 years and this brings back great memories of visiting him during salmon runs on the Kenai and halibut fishing off of Seward. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you benjahman. The Kenai River and Peninsula are spectacular.

Originally Posted by warreng24
Wonderful report SFO777. We did our 1st trip to Denali about this time last year. Although we saw it from the Park Road, it is even more spectacular from the air. Beautiful pictures.
Thanks so much warreng24.

Originally Posted by offerendum
What a wired combination. Hey, we have some sausages and some kinf of ragtag tortellini - let´s do sausages with tortellini! Doesn´t match together, but hey, we can get rid off of both
I think you're on to something, unfortunately for AS flyers. Thanks offerendum.

Originally Posted by apodo77
Awe inspiring pictures of Alaska. Such a beautiful state. I lived in PDX for 8 years before moving to FL two years ago and flew AS almost exclusively up and down the coast and to TX and ORD. I often saw the windows that you took a picture of. It's like they clean them with a wet rag and let them dry without a wiping them.
Enjoy Alaska!
Thank you apodo77. Bizarre about their window cleaning protocol. At least our FA handed out towels, which were perfect for cleaning our windows.

Originally Posted by 757
Thanks for the great first part of your report! Looks like you had an amazing trip, and the views from your flight in Alaska look incredible.
I've flown AS once in F, from SEA-MSP, and while I found the service to be very good, I found the food to be quite strange (not like the eggplant dish with tortellini though ..., but it was a sandwich that was pretty lacking in flavor. I found myself to be quite full following the flight.
Looking forward to your return flight!
Thanks 757. The scenery in Alaska is some of the most beautiful in the world.

Originally Posted by fivevsone
super awesome pictures from the little plane!! just awesome.. thanks, todd
Thank you fivevsone. The Piper Lance was a fun plane to ride on for a couple of hours.

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
So, will there be any 3 am pictures of Mrs. SFO777 approved by her?
LOL. I don't think that would be a wise move.
Thanks UA1K_no_more.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Denali and Mt. McKinley photos were awesome. Thanks for sharing ^
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Thanks for the beautiful pictures. They are making me homesick for Alaska.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
I'm so glad you were here in Alaska last week when the weather was fine and the road south of Anchorage was open, SFO777. Since the weekend we've been dealing with the #McHughCreekFire just south of Anchorage, in the Chugach National Forsest between Potter Marsh and Indian.

Yesterday the Seward Highway was down to 1 lane with pilot car guide. Traffic was backed up from Potter Marsh all the way to Huffman in South Anchorage, with reports from many travelers that it was taking up to 3 to 4 hours to get from Anchorage past the blaze and down to Indian, a jaunt that would normally take less than 30 minutes.

The fire is currently estimated at 500 to 600 acres and is just over a mile from the nearest Anchorage subdivision. Our thoughts are with the families who may be in its path.

Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I am glad you got to eat one of my favorite restaurants ever: Humpys. When I used to travel to Alaska for work and vacation, I always made sure I stopped in for their halibut and chips. Their Alaska King Crab cakes were pretty good too. Next time, include Mooses Tooth Pizza.

Can't wait to see some fish pictures coming up.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
What fab photos of the scenery from your little plane, and it made it better by being a lovely day. The food at the lunch restaurant looked jolly good, could almost have reached out and tried it all. Loved your little 4 night place of stay, even had a kitchen, bet not much was cooked on that stove. Enjoy the rest of your trip and look forward to more photos.^
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Wow, those photos from your scenic flight are really next level. Absolutely stunning!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
I'm so glad you were here in Alaska last week when the weather was fine and the road south of Anchorage was open, SFO777. Since the weekend we've been dealing with the #McHughCreekFire just south of Anchorage, in the Chugach National Forsest between Potter Marsh and Indian.

Yesterday the Seward Highway was down to 1 lane with pilot car guide. Traffic was backed up from Potter Marsh all the way to Huffman in South Anchorage, with reports from many travelers that it was taking up to 3 to 4 hours to get from Anchorage past the blaze and down to Indian, a jaunt that would normally take less than 30 minutes.

The fire is currently estimated at 500 to 600 acres and is just over a mile from the nearest Anchorage subdivision. Our thoughts are with the families who may be in its path.

damn. that looks like a scene out of TWD.

nice photos.

the ones of the glaciers carving the adjacent mounts up are awesome as are the crevasse's....it is remakable about how docile the glaciers can look from up high until you get closer and closer and see, hear and feel their power!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Great pics and commentary, SFO777! I particularly liked your flightseeing shots. The scenery more than makes up for the uncomfortable seats and lack of service on those little planes!

Nothing but rain here in Denali National Park all week long - this after temps in the 80s last week. Here's hoping you and MRS. 777 have a memorable fishing trip amongst the bears. I look forward to seeing a picture of MRS 777 cradling a 70lb King. Good luck! ^^
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for another great TR, SFO777! Looking forward to the rest. Alaska is the most beautiful state in the US IMO. Need to get back up there soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.