Reload this Page >

Return To New Zealand Via South-East Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Return To New Zealand Via South-East Asia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:44 pm

Another great trip report and excellent photos. I always look forward to reading your reports. Mr. halfcape, who doesn't ever look at this site unless I show him something, knows your username and follows your reports with me.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
There he goes again - but this has been a fun one, with the wedding photos and some diving (good job Rianda getting certified) and adorable George! Photos are awesome, as always - the one of the mosque at dusk is stunning.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Great review.

After saying farewell to Vic, Steve and the niece's, Mum & Dad drove us up to Auckland airport. We managed to print out our boarding passes and suitcase tags at the kiosks but had a bit of trouble at the automated luggage machines. Our check-in allowance was 2 x 23kgs and discretion to take up to 32 kgs. We had just one suitcase that was 27 kgs so thought we would be fine, but the machine warned us our suitcase was too heavy and refused to load it. One of the attendants came along and said we would have to repack to two bags. He quickly relented though and overode the system, but warned us we would have to pay $200 excess baggage next time unless we kept to the 23 kg limit.
Unfortunately due to new Health & Safety laws, have had to become pretty tight on the 23kg limit. All NZ's limits are bassed on the 23kg, rather than 32kg.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: United MP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Great report as always. Your pictures are amazing. just a quick FYI though, the fish you have identified as a grouper i believe is a boxfish or cowfish.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueferrari
Hi Daniel, great report as usual. Particularly enjoy the hiking and NZ parts.
Omg Stanley, what a cutie!
Thank you, blueferrari. Although I'm obviously a bit biased, I definitely agree with you about Stanley.

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Wow - Laban Rata has really grown since I did the hike like 10 years ago. Back then, it was pretty much just a shack with a couple pots of food. Glad it has decent facilities now!
Fantastic trip and pics - thanks for bringing us along. I couldn't help but notice Rianda got the bouquet....
Thanks, ironmanjt. Yes, Laban Rata was very comfortable stay, especially impressed with the shop where you could even buy and send postcards too.
Rianda had it easy with the flowers, my sister gave it to her so no need for trying to catch it.
Originally Posted by benjahman
Great report and thanks for sharing DanielW Really enjoyed those sunrise photos!
Thank you, benjahman. Yes, some awesome views from the summit, definitely worth the long trek up!
Originally Posted by yapple
Hi DanielW,

Great report with superb photos once again! Being a Singaporean, I'm glad to see my country featured in your trip reports, and it's worth the wait
Seems like we just 'missed' each other in Singapore. Noticed that your flight to SIN from Auckland was on 20th May arriving 21st May, while I had a flight out of SIN to Nadi (as well as Auckland) on board Fiji Airways on 21st May at 1015 hours; would have been great to have met up at the airport
Looking forward for more great reports of yours!
yapple
Thank you, yapple . Yes, it was great to head back to Singapore. Fond memories of my first visit there almost 30 years ago. Definitely change alot since!
We were also looking at flying to Fiji, and then on to HK on the way back. Hope you enjoyed your trip there.
Originally Posted by halfcape
Another great trip report and excellent photos. I always look forward to reading your reports. Mr. halfcape, who doesn't ever look at this site unless I show him something, knows your username and follows your reports with me.
Many thanks for the kind compliment, halfcape. We just came back from another trip up the mountains so hopefully some more scenic photo's soon.

Originally Posted by lb8001
There he goes again - but this has been a fun one, with the wedding photos and some diving (good job Rianda getting certified) and adorable George! Photos are awesome, as always - the one of the mosque at dusk is stunning.
Thanks, lb8001. Yes, Rianda had been procrastinating about getting here PADI training and is great now we are both certified. It was good timing with the mosque photo too in BSB, we arrived just in time to see the changing colours of dusk.
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Great review.
Unfortunately due to new Health & Safety laws, have had to become pretty tight on the 23kg limit. All NZ's limits are bassed on the 23kg, rather than 32kg.
Thank you, cavemanzk. The weight limit wasn't too much of a hassle, something to remember for the next time though.
Originally Posted by brooklynflyer82
Great report as always. Your pictures are amazing. just a quick FYI though, the fish you have identified as a grouper i believe is a boxfish or cowfish.
Cheers, brooklynflyer82. Something I'll have to fix. My tropical fish identification skills are pretty much limited to Google unfortunately.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Daniel - best trip reports. You are awesome sir!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canuckshark
Daniel - best trip reports. You are awesome sir!
Many thanks, canuckshark, just getting ready now for ironmanjt's Iceland adventure.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 6:43 am

As I'm getting ready for my trip to SEA next month, this report has been truly helpful. Thanks for the detailed and incredible photos as always!

I hope you don't mind me asking, what was the typical dress code for men in Bandar Sera Begawan? I know it's more conservative than other countries, but would wearing shorts suffice (especially since it's ~30 Celsius?) Thanks again!
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCBound2016
As I'm getting ready for my trip to SEA next month, this report has been truly helpful. Thanks for the detailed and incredible photos as always!

I hope you don't mind me asking, what was the typical dress code for men in Bandar Sera Begawan? I know it's more conservative than other countries, but would wearing shorts suffice (especially since it's ~30 Celsius?) Thanks again!
Thank you, DCBound2016. I just wore knee length shorts in BSB, didn't seem to worry anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.