Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

40 Days & Nights (Ghana, Togo, Benin, Rwanda, DRC, UAE, Lebanon, Myanmar, Sri Lanka)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

40 Days & Nights (Ghana, Togo, Benin, Rwanda, DRC, UAE, Lebanon, Myanmar, Sri Lanka)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Marches des fetishes is really awful, glad I didn´t visit this place.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:06 am

Love the people shots, Matthew! Looks like a great trip through West Africa so far. Was the driver from Lome to Cotonou easy to organize?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:18 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by DanielW
Love the people shots, Matthew! Looks like a great trip through West Africa so far. Was the driver from Lome to Cotonou easy to organize?
We just got a share taxi when we went, 20k CFA for the whole car but we paid 15k + took another passenger. We got out in Ouidah but had to pay the full rate to Cotonou. Then another 12? 20? (I forget) just from Ouidah to Cotonou, but that was private taxi and he dropped us at our hotel.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by hauteboy
We just got a share taxi when we went, 20k CFA for the whole car but we paid 15k + took another passenger. We got out in Ouidah but had to pay the full rate to Cotonou. Then another 12? 20? (I forget) just from Ouidah to Cotonou, but that was private taxi and he dropped us at our hotel.
Cool, I guess the ubiquitous Sept-place is the way to go in French Africa.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Awesome report and pictures. Looking forward to more. Thx. T
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:34 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Yep, but definitely need to know French, numbers at least. I had to be the translator on that trip.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:29 am

Fetish Market is big nope!

I'm interested of how your Myanmar part went out. Planning to spend a whole week there next year, hopefully.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by rivlinm
It also seems this flight is considerably delayed on a daily basis so it’s understandable why they would be so upset.
Glad you got super lucky! The one time I needed it to be late...it was...but they had already rebooked me and refused to put me back on it. I think they might put the ACC flight in T3 solely because it's such a hot mess!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by offerendum
I found it rather fascinating personally...but agree the second time I went back with FlyIgglesFly the sanitized English tour wasn't nearly as good...and it's become much more commercialized/touristy over the years.

This trip report is making me miss Africa already...thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
I could just imagine upon returning the stare of the customs officer when one brings back one of the monkey or dog skulls...

Solid report with top quality pics especially at night!

looking forward to the Congolese and Rwandan parts
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Hello all! Thanks for the great comments and sorry for the massive lag on this report. I'll blame flickr, but I seem to have it in order and posts should come regularly starting now. Got to get this one finished up before my next month-long adventure in September.

Amazing itinerary! Definitely looking forward to this one.
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
+1
This was such a fun one to plan.

Interesting itineray - I guess I will some time reading in this thread
If I ever get around to finishing it

Originally Posted by aidy
When will this one start?
When will it conclude should be the question!

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Wow, this is going to be an interesting TR. will be following closely. Safe travels!
Back safely, thanks.

Originally Posted by greg99
Subscribed to receive the updates - looking forward to them!
Updates should be regular now!

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
After following intensively your excellent previous African adventures, can't wait to read the rest of this one too!
That trip was Disney World compared to this one.

I like BA
I can't agree...

Wow, looks like an amazing adventure, Matthew!!!

Pity we couldn't meet up in Dubai, hopefully your travels take you through this part of the world again though.

Looking forward to seeing more of the journey ahead.
Next time. I imagine I'll need a few days of R&R after a trip around the horn of Africa next year.

I'm glad we went, but once was enough as I decided in Benin.

We just stuck with our driver from the Ghana/Togo border from the day before. He wound up pawning us off on his 'brother' but it was a safe drive. I do have a few business cards of drivers I can dig up from all of these destinations if anyone wants to plan in advance. Just ask.

Sounds like a good price! We thought we heard 15k from LOM to COO and once it dawned on us 15 sounds like 50 it was too late to negotiate. I would imagine you could get a private car with AC for 40k

Surprisingly we had some quality cars for most of our drives.

Originally Posted by fivevsone
Awesome report and pictures. Looking forward to more. Thx. T
Thanks!

Yep, but definitely need to know French, numbers at least. I had to be the translator on that trip.
Besides a few numbers and basic greetings our French was about as good as none. Thankfully Google Translate has come a LONG way and worked wonders on reading menus (from a live camera translation) to communicating with locals who looked on in amazement as we typed in English and they read in French (or arabic/burmese as the trip progressed)

Originally Posted by blueferrari
Fetish Market is big nope!

I'm interested of how your Myanmar part went out. Planning to spend a whole week there next year, hopefully.
Glad we went, but was a big disappointment for what I imagined the country was best known for.

Myanmar would end up being a fantastic experience.

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Glad you got super lucky! The one time I needed it to be late...it was...but they had already rebooked me and refused to put me back on it. I think they might put the ACC flight in T3 solely because it's such a hot mess!
I never realized what a mess this specific flight was. Both times I took it I was connecting to/from MIA so I got to stay in T3 and all worked out well. Plus my check for >$650 in EU compensation arrived the other day on my ~$1000 J rt fare! If I lived in ACC or LHR I would book that flight as an award daily and rack up the compensation from BA!

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I found it rather fascinating personally...but agree the second time I went back with FlyIgglesFly the sanitized English tour wasn't nearly as good...and it's become much more commercialized/touristy over the years.

This trip report is making me miss Africa already...thanks!
It was certainly interesting, but the touristy aspect of its presentation was a major turn off.

I was just in Miami last weekend and thought the same about wanting to be in Africa>current location.

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
I could just imagine upon returning the stare of the customs officer when one brings back one of the monkey or dog skulls...

Solid report with top quality pics especially at night!

looking forward to the Congolese and Rwandan parts
Even with GE I got a few harmless questions, but I wasn't brave (or foolish) enough to bring back a dog head.

It sure was nice to get home and not lug my >20 lb camera bag around!

Congo is coming soon!
Old Aug 13, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus
Great report. A shame you only spent a day or so in the capital and didn't get further a field.

Looking forwa d to the rest of your adventure. Particularly the DRC. You'll love Myanmar. I spent a month there back in 2013. Amazing place!
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Day 05: Cotonou, Benin

Kicked off our first full day in Benin with an average hotel breakfast (not the most fresh looking but plenty filling) before finding a cab to the market at about 10:00 for 5K CFA. This market was considerably more expansive than the Grand Marche in Lomé. Cotonou in general was made up of a throng of motorbikes, but once we got out of the taxi, it was overwhelming in every direction and eventually we just began wandering. The market was segmented much like a department store with produce dominating a particular area and seafood another. We attracted all sorts of looks and when my camera came out, it received mixed reactions. The men and children tended to be very warm and accepting of my photos (not always requested) while women (especially the older) would often shout “No” in unison and cover their face or dip out of sight. I found a removed corner that afforded some great views of the bustling action. The weather was awfully hot and humid and we could only handle about an hour and a half of exploring before we headed off in search of lunch.

Ibis breakfast

Dropped off right in the thick of things

Off to a friendly start

Motor bikes as far as the eye can see

Entering the market

Sticks

Bulls fans

Plate ‘o prawns

Goats for sale

Father and son

We were offered a sample of the cheese

Roaming vendors

In all shapes and sizes

Not a light load

Peek a boo

More peppers

Not everyone wanted a photograph

The most photogenic of the produce women

Onions

Grain art

Presumably making flour

Indecisive whether to pose or not

Nap time

Fish fry

Passing by the few voodoo stalls (keyword: passing)

Heaps of corn husks along the Lagune De Cotonou

Lagune de Cotonou

Relaxing on the water

Recycling center

Scrap metal

Measuring corn

Cheerfully shy

With our Congolese adventures quickly approaching we decided to play it safe on the food front. We discovered the popular (sanitary but local) restaurants to be along the beach, a bit of a walk through town, but not without a few notable sites along the way.

Walking south toward the beach

Finally back on the main road for a game of Frogger

Notre Dame Church of Cotonou

Samsung building

Street food market

Not as welcoming of a beach as Obama Beach

I suppose I felt it was necessary to photograph the Niger Embassy

Lunch was a local but classy affair at Maquis Du Port which overlooked the beach and seemed to be frequented by many locals in suits and ties. A bit too hot for that attire, but we were welcomed in even though we looked like bums. As I guzzled down over a liter of water we ordered a variety of food including Pintade (guinea fowl), eba, a stew called kedjennou du pintade, aloko (plantains) and beef filet with akassa (fermented corn dough) all for about 15K CFA.

Maquis Du Port

Obligatory pre meal nuts

Pintade (guinea fowl) with aloko (plantains)

Kedjennou du pintade

Beef filet with akassa

Eba

Reenergized we begrudgingly left the cool confines and headed back out to explore the streets a bit more. Along the way we found a post office and struggled to purchase some stamps before finding a taxi who wouldn’t budge below 5K CFA. Exhausted, we caved and imbibed in a few 700 CFA beers across the street from our hotel while deciding on dinner plans.

A decorated square just outside the main office for the Benin lottery

Benin Post

No taxis at the ‘train station’ according to Google Maps

One last view down Ave Clozel

Cotonou taxi meter

Our new favorite bar

With a Cotonou staple

Having had a filling African lunch and not discovering many appealing options for dinner we settled on a highly rated Indian establishment. Although not located correctly on the map, our taxi driver was happy to get us to Shamiana for 3K CFA and was willing to stay for 3K CFA more but we decided it was close and safe enough to walk back home. Service and the AC were great! Just a few blocks back and we were off to bed early by 22:30.

Shamiana Indian

Started off with a Castle

Our feast

Coated fennel seeds to wrap up the night
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dereiziger
Great report. A shame you only spent a day or so in the capital and didn't get further a field.

Looking forwa d to the rest of your adventure. Particularly the DRC. You'll love Myanmar. I spent a month there back in 2013. Amazing place!
Thanks! I agree that Togo deserved more time. In the beginning it was supposed to be the main attraction but I really wanted to find an Obama Beer so once we paid for the visa, figured it deserved more than one day.

I loved Myanmar.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by rivlinm
Thanks! I agree that Togo deserved more time. In the beginning it was supposed to be the main attraction but I really wanted to find an Obama Beer so once we paid for the visa, figured it deserved more than one day.

I loved Myanmar.
I'm loving your travels through West Africa - it looks like you really went off the beaten path in the capitals!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.