Search

To The Frontlines Against ISIS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: Northwest Plat
Thumbs up

Thank you, for your great TR.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Wow. What an amazing and stunning report. Hands down the most captivating TR I've read.

I agree and was thinking the exact same thing. This should be published.
It probably already is, as part of OSINT gathering. There's quite a bit of useful background information in the TR. Though I would refrain from calling any side in the conflict "infidels", since it identifies an element of possible bias.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:11 am

I have read your reports on Yemen and Somalia but this tops it. What a story!!. More than a TR it is a great journalism, teaching me the geography, history, politics and current events of this place. Till now I knew a bit about Assad and ISIS, but not much about Kurds. You have truly educated me.

The quote from a female fighter " It is safer to be at the front-line than 10 km behind in cleared areas, which is more dangerous" still sticks in my mind. A known devil is better than an unknown one.

I know Saudi is a supporter of ISIS but I wonder how much Dubai government approves the Kurdish patches being brought in back home.

Thanks once more for a stupendous report.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:14 am

Wow! Thank you for sharing this. I learned a lot from your TR.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you for taking the time to put faces on what is usually an impersonal war for most people. Seeing the YPJ fighters was inspiring - reading the memorials of the fallen was heartbreaking.

Travel safely!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:53 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Thank you for sharing this unique and enlightening flight report. It was a privilege to read it. ^
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Great report!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
I've already congratulated you on the report but damn I just read it again after a few days and I felt it was worthy to say thanks for a second time.

Absolutely breathtaking.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold. Emirates Silver BAEC Silver Air Canada 35k
Great .out of Ordinary
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: QRPC Polonium
Originally Posted by Bouncer
It probably already is, as part of OSINT gathering. There's quite a bit of useful background information in the TR. Though I would refrain from calling any side in the conflict "infidels", since it identifies an element of possible bias.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
I agree with the last sentence. And "to be martyred" sounds a bit like propaganda for a Western ear. Otherwise, remarkable work.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
wow. i was on the edge of my seat the whole time reading. Many thanks for sharing.
T
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
This is fascinating journalism and trip reporting. Well done and thank you for posting it!
Thank you, flatlander. One of the trips I definitely won't forget!
Originally Posted by UAL250
DanielW, this is the best trip report I've ever read on any site. I don't know what to say. The pictures, stories, and everything about this is just incredible. I'm speechless.
Thank you so much for sharing. I am also glad you are back safe
Many thanks, UAL250. It was quite a moving experience for me too, both from what I saw and experienced, and reliving it while writing it all up.
Originally Posted by tycosiao
Thank you very much for sharing this.
Cheers, tycosiao, it has been great to share and get so much positive feedback from this.
Originally Posted by Seachain
one of the most memorable and informative trip reports any of us have seen. a true journalist and a humbling one, so forever in your debt for these insights... so real to what else is reported.
Thanks, Seachain. Yes, good to get some perspective on people just wanting live peacefully, without an invading army of fanatics on their door step.
Originally Posted by BrazilNuts
What a treat! Thank you for posting this unique and memorable article.
Thank you, BrazilNuts, it has been great sharing it here.
Originally Posted by styxl
i have to say, this is the best trip report i have ever read!!! i spent 2 hours reading this thing...the pictures and people are absolutely amazing. Thanks for all the risks you took and hard work.
Many thanks, styxl. Yes, the strong, resilient but friendly people of Rojava were a privilege to meet. I only hope that true peace and stability will be established in this region soon.
Originally Posted by travelinterpreters
This is the absolute best thing I have ever read on FT. The pictures of the YPJ fighters are epic!
My wife walked by while I was reading this and said " why are you smiling so much?" After I showed her the pics, she understood.
Thanks so much for taking the time to do all of this!
Many thanks, travelinterpreters. Yes, the YPJ fighters were amazing to meet. When I was that age I was worried about my university studies and finding things to do on the weekend etc. They have to worry about their friends surviving gun battles or a mortar attack and ISIS jihadi's attacking in the middle of the night. It really blew my mind! Very inspiring and made me reflect on my own priorities too.
Originally Posted by Cymbo
Sensationally informative and comprehensive, thank you so much! The red poppy was particularly poignant and seeing the faces of the kids, one cannot but hope that some day these people may know peace again.
Thanks, Cymbo. Yes, the wild poppy was cool to see. A simple but beautiful flower that had grown among the destruction and mayhem.
Originally Posted by gooselee
I just re-read this TR. My God, still amazed and moved. It means so much to humanize something that has in so many ways turned into mere background noise in the news media.
I cannot thank you enough, OP.
Thank you, gooselee. I often re-read my TR's but this one still affects me in a way that the others never did.
Originally Posted by geilux
Stunning TR :-::
Intense, emotional, wonderful pictures of people in their daily life !
Congratulations and respect ^
Many thanks, geilux. We often see photo's and video of the struggle in the other areas of Syria, but not often of the daily life of the people in the north, so it was good to shine a bit more light on this relatively stable part of Syria.
Originally Posted by Mark Gerrard
I'm just a lurker here, but had to log in to say:
Thank you DanielW for an amazing trip report. Always interesting to read your reports and see pictures of normal life in countries that I would never be brave enough to go to myself (even where there is no war or dictatorships!)
Look forward to a book(s) some day. They would certainly beat my favorite travel writer Bill Bryson into a very distant second place.
Many thanks, Mark Gerrard. I am a big Bill Bryson fan so being mentioned in the same sentence as him is a very cool compliment! Hopefully I get around to a book when I get sick of all this travelling.
Originally Posted by malkie
Amazing report - many thanks for sharing.
I come here for points earning opportunities and to share stories on champagne-fueled trips to north america from the UK. Your report really puts so much of my travel into context.
Your photography is perhaps the best I've ever seen on this forum.
Thank you, malkie. Yes, experiences like this often help us to put some of our first world world problems into context.
Originally Posted by kevinyhli
Thank you DanielW for this wonderful trip report! Certainly extremely insightful and also sobering for all of us outside this area to learn more about these battles that are not widely covered in conventional media! Keep safe and look forward to your next report!
Cheers, kevinyhli. Next trip report is almost done, so hopefully coming soon.
Originally Posted by Swibbz
Fabulous trip report, what an experience!
Thanks, Swibbz. Calling something a 'life-changing experience' can often over-used, but this one definitely comes pretty close for me.
Originally Posted by alexphj
Thank you, for your great TR.
Thank you, alexphj.
Originally Posted by Bouncer

Regards,
-Bouncer-
I'm anti-ISIS and they're definitely infidels but I'm happy with being 'bias' though.
Originally Posted by kamban
I have read your reports on Yemen and Somalia but this tops it. What a story!!. More than a TR it is a great journalism, teaching me the geography, history, politics and current events of this place. Till now I knew a bit about Assad and ISIS, but not much about Kurds. You have truly educated me.
The quote from a female fighter " It is safer to be at the front-line than 10 km behind in cleared areas, which is more dangerous" still sticks in my mind. A known devil is better than an unknown one.
I know Saudi is a supporter of ISIS but I wonder how much Dubai government approves the Kurdish patches being brought in back home.
Thanks once more for a stupendous report.
Thank you, kamban. Yes, must be very un-nerving with an enemy in your midst but can't see them hiding amongst the civilians.
As far as I know, the Saudi government definitely doesn't support ISIS. Obviously Saudi individuals have joined and/or support them though.
I don't think there is any animosity between the UAE and the YPJ. The UAE even helped defend Kobani from ISIS when it was attacked: http://www.thenational.ae/world/syri...ault-on-kobani
Originally Posted by mromalley
Wow! Thank you for sharing this. I learned a lot from your TR.
Thank you, mromalley. It has been a very enlightening experience for me too.
Originally Posted by TAPAL10
Thank you for taking the time to put faces on what is usually an impersonal war for most people. Seeing the YPJ fighters was inspiring - reading the memorials of the fallen was heartbreaking.
Travel safely!
Many thanks, TAPAL10. Often the human side is lost during war, so hopefully these photo's help to connect them in a more real and personal way.
Originally Posted by aw
Thank you for sharing this unique and enlightening flight report. It was a privilege to read it. ^
Cheers, aw.
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Great report!
Thank you, jphripjah.
Originally Posted by snabbu
I've already congratulated you on the report but damn I just read it again after a few days and I felt it was worthy to say thanks for a second time.
Absolutely breathtaking.
Thank you, snabbu. Cool to hear the TR is worth a second read!
Originally Posted by alpenrock
Great .out of Ordinary
Thanks, alpenrock, it definitely felt weird going back to my normal, mundane life after my short time in Rojava.
Originally Posted by Will Coe
I agree with the last sentence. And "to be martyred" sounds a bit like propaganda for a Western ear. Otherwise, remarkable work.
Thank you, Will Coe. While visiting the graves of the deceased YPG & YPJ fighters, I was told that the custom is that when someone is lost in battle, they are never 'killed' but are 'martyred'. Hence I wanted to respect their wishes and not in anyway dehumanize their sacrifice for their freedom and survival against ISIS.
Originally Posted by fivevsone
wow. i was on the edge of my seat the whole time reading. Many thanks for sharing.
T
Thanks, fivevsone. Yes, definitely more risk than usual but fortunately I returned home safely.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: AC/EK
What a great read! I think I'm adventurous but your risk tolerance and ability to capture the struggle people are going through is amazing. Great effort Daniel!
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Turkish Gold, Copa Platinum, airberlin Gold
Fantastic experience and great writing, thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
I can't come up with words to express how incredible this TR is. You had some great subjects, but you have a great eye for bringing them to life in photos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.