Quick Jaunt to India- EY Apartments, EY J, QR J plus much more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat

So this is my first stab at trip report. Have enjoyed all the amazing reports by the greats of FT and decided It was time to give something back. By no means am I a photographer and most of these taken on my iPhone. I don't like taking photos on planes and had no plans to do this report so apologies for this.

Background

I focus on BA and am Gold with hopefully getting close to GGL for the first time this year.
This trip was inspired by a few different things. It started off one night after coming across on probably some forum on FT some great QR J fares originating in Europe and especially from Brussels. I think this was in December and after not much thinking me and couple of family members were booked. It also allowed for cancellations for a fee. We originally booked for a simple BRU-DOH-DXB-DOH-EDI for 10 days with the prospect of doing side trip to India for a week and still having a couple of days in Dubai for relaxing.

Fast forward a few months and plans had been scuppered. The family I was meant to be travelling were not going to be around and ended up cancelling, leaving me on my own and with 10 days to fill. I certainly was not going to cancel but I decided to get creative.

I had been to India once but only to Goa for a holiday so didn’t experience the main hubs of India, like Mumbai and Delhi. Having been to Dubai many times before I wasn’t to bothered about going there, so decided to focus the trip around India with an extra very FT’er nested trip within it.

Fairly early on in 2016, Etihad Airways announced they would be flying the A380 to Mumbai with the famed Apartments. It was something I really wanted to try and especially with what was the upcoming AA devaluation. Fortunately, I had around 100,000 AA miles from various service recoveries, the odd crediting to them when they had good bonuses and other little things.

So the plan was to fly BOM-AUH-LHR-EDI on the A380 the whole way (barring LHR-EDI) all for 40K miles and not much in taxes. I had no problem finding availability and got what I consider to be what was one of the greatest value mileage redemptions going. I then booked a simple EDI-AUH with Etihad for 30K miles the day after my Apartments trips to get me back to the UAE for the return of my Qatar trip. Very confusing I know but I enjoy flying and wasn’t just going to waste the return of my Qatar trip.

There was obviously the devastating attack at BRU which I thought may put a spanner in the works but little did I know what was to come at BRU when I arrived there. Stay tuned for that!

This report will cover:

• Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport
• British Airways economy EDI-LHR-BRU
• 9 hours at BRU
• Qatar Airways Business/First class BRU-DOH-DXB
• Al Safwa Lounge DOH
• Emirates economy class DXB-DEL
• Hilton Garden Inn New Delhi/Saket
• Taj Mahal/Agra
• Double Tree Agra
• Exploring Delhi
• Air India economy executive class DEL-BOM
• Four Seasons Mumbai
• Mumbai
• GVK First Class lounge Mumbai
• Etihad Airways A30 Apartments BOM-AUH
• Hilton Capital Gate Abu Dhabi
• Etihad Airways A380 Apartments AUH-LHR
• British Airways economy LHR-EDI
• Etihad Airways A330 Business class EDI-AUH
• Conrad Dubai
• Qatar Airways business class DXB-DOH-EDI

Disclaimer

A lot of things in this Trip report are complete first world problems, there is many bigger and more important issues in the world today!

The Trip

Hoiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport

What used to the Quality Hotel has now been rebranded as a HIE. Was starting fairly early from EDI so decided to use 20,000 points here for the night before. Perfectly acceptable and was given a huge room. Easy shuttle In the morning and at the airport with no problems.

British Airways Economy EDI-LHR-BRU

This was a redemption flight to position for my Qatar Airways flights. It cost 8,000 avios and £35 I believe. Pretty good value as the paid rate was over £200. Being in the regions the aspect of the BA devaluation that hurt the most was the removal of the free domestic leg on European flights. I appreciate it was overly generous but made for some great value redemption. Now you have to weigh up the cash v avios price when booking flights to Europe with BA. I would have booked SN for this flight but the flight timings were terrible and by the time I got round to booking they were around £250.

My Qatar airways flights from Brussels were just after the resumption of flights by them after the terrorist attacks. Ideally I was going to maybe have a leisurely weekend in Brussels before my flights but didn’t fancy that with the current situation. I was worried about the transfer at Brussels and was praying my BA flight were on time as I realised I had little to no protection. I gave myself around four hours in Brussels and that ended up being more than enough!!

EDI was good as usual and quickly through Fast track security. Upon arrival at the lounge there was a massive queue formed to get in. Bad weather at LCY had caused the cancellations of a few flights so it was chaotic and never seen the EDI lounge so busy. A few minutes in their and then nice domestic hop down to LHR. Little bit of time in Galleries first and then flight to Brussels. Arrived on time into Brussels but this was when the problems started.

We pulled into the stand as normal and everyone stood up as usual. A few minutes went by with no movement and then the Captain finally came on the blower to announce that the ground handling partner for most airlines at BRU had literally just gone on strike in the last few minutes. We probably were on the plane for 40 minutes I would guess until the captain came on to say they had persuaded someone to operate the air bridge. Took a right towards the end of the air bridge and then up the ramp back into departures, very easy.

9 hours at BRU

What followed was pretty much what seemed like the shutdown of a high percentage of ramp operations at the airport. Not quite sure what the industrial action was about but knowone seemed to know how long it would last.

As time went on at BRU and then British Airways lounge, I was fully preparing for a night in Brussels. Fortunately I had a ten hour layover in DOH as didn’t want to arrive in Dubai at 3AM and I enjoy the AL Safwa lounge.

With the flight constantly being delayed and hardly any flights going out of Brussels, I was losing hope but just accepting that this is what happens sometimes. We eventually got turfed out of the BA lounge at closing time and moved across to the Diamond lounge. A lot of flights were being cancelled but EK and QR looked determined to get their planes away one way or the other. There was rumours of the planes going with no bags and EK even had their own ground staff on top of a van in the cargo hold of a 777 trying to load bags, or this is what it looked like. (see picture)

As day turned to night and EK someone starting their boarding process, their seemed to be hope. Apparently EK managed to persuade the other handling agent Swissport to help with getting the plane ready and then QR kind of piggybacked on this and got us going also.

9 hours later the plane boarded with a very light load due to most people either being rebooked or just choosing not to travel. I actually looked at my MyFlights app (Brilliant BTW) as we had just boarded and noticed I had been rebooked on OS and EK through Vienna straight to Dubai as a backup.

Was glad to get on board and had empathy for the ground staff who had to put up with this strike and deal with the constant shouting and agitation from passengers. Not sure of the curfew at BRU but we couldn’t have been far away from hitting it.

Qatar Airways Business class BRU-DOH-DXB

This flight was J1 the day before and ended up being me In 3A, another passenger in 2A and a deadheading pilot in 5A. Another lovely flight in QR J and on the Dreamliner. The FA’s couldn’t have been more apologetic for the delay even though they couldn’t have done anything about it.

The flight had pretty much turned into an overnight with a midnight departure and around an 8AM arrival. A tasty and quick dinner and then it was head down for some shut eye before awaking with around an hour to.

My roughly 10 hour connection had turned into around 90 mins. Into Al Safwa and my view is that is the most stunning lounge in the world but its soft product really isn’t all that amazing. I will include some pictures from a previous visit also and both times I was left pretty disappointed with the food.My eggs Benedict this time were pretty undercooked, especially the egg white. Staff are very attentive and its nice as its so quiet.

Day rooms at Al Safwa

Dinner from previous visit

Breakfast from previous visit

We were bussed to the 777 flight to DXB and thought I was pretty much going to have the cabin to myself. Just before closing the door, five white BMW’s turn up and out comes what must have been some kind of royalty or something. They took over the first cabin. Nice short flight and I passed on food and drink.

Emirates economy class DXB-DEL

The connection to T3 was enough as it was a quiet part of the day. This Ticket was pretty cheap at around £100 and couldn’t justify the price tag for business class on a two and a half hour flight. I also status matched to EK silver so got business class lounge access.

Emirates Business class lounge DXB

Flight was fine aboard the 777. Wont lie it was my first time in a while in economy on a long haul plane and on a decent length flight. It certainly makes you appreciate premium class travel a lot more. Staff were friendly but food was pretty horrible.

Arrived into DEL and was through immigration quickly using the E-VISA scheme.

Hilton Garden Inn New Delhi/Saket

Took a pre-paid taxi to this hotel and took around 40 minutes. It was a bloody scary ride and was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Something I would become used to. Welcome to India!

This hotel was fine but a terrible decision to book it. Not a good location for seeing Delhi and think I was seeing it as a chance to use some points and save some money. Uber was so cheap in India though that I could get to Old Delhi/Connaught Place in around 30 minutes and £2.

Train to Agra, Double Tree Agra and the Taj Mahal

I left my roller bag the HGI as I would be returning in a couple of days. Took an uber into Old Delhi and took a stroll around before heading to the train station to try and book a train to Agra.

I had problems booking trains online, so headed to International Tourist Bureau on the first floor of the Delhi Railway station. Fortunately got a train leaving in an hour but in second class. Hung around the station for a while observing the on goings and what a fascinating place. So many people just laying around.

Delhi Train Station

Boarded the train and it was a great experience. Second class was a good trade off. You got your own bunk and AC but were also with friendly locals which made for fascinating conversations about life in India. I had the top bunk and three hours later we were pulling into Agra.

The touts at Agra train station are incredible and I battled my way to the prepaid rickshaw stand. Short TUK-TUK drive through the town and arrived at the Double Tree Agra.

Think I paid around £32 for this hotel which was incredible value. Got upgraded to great room with a ‘Taj Mahal view’, full breakfast in restaurant and nice welcome amentity.

View From Room

Obviously the main reason for visiting Agra was the Taj Mahal. It is something I have always wanted to see and it certainly did not disappoint. I really wanted to be one of the first into the complex in the morning to get some decent pictures, so got a tuk-tuk just after 5AM to the East Gate. Paid my money and walked along the road to the TAJ.

I was one of the first in (still lots of people) just as the sun was coming up and it was just incredible. An amazing piece of architecture that blew me away, The symmetry with the ponds and perfectly manicured lawns and gardens accompany it perfectly. I spent around 90 mins on the complex and took plenty of photos. Then did the Taj Nature walk for a diferent prespective on the complex. Just an unforgettable morning and very fortunate to see something so amazing in all its glory.

Back to the Double Tree and a nap before heading to Agra Fort and then the train home that evening. Loved the Agra fort and the colours it had. Only had around twenty minutes here as timed things badly and then onto the ‘new’, ‘high speed’ train back to Delhi. I was in first class this time and soon enough back in Delhi and another Uber back to the HGI.

Early the next, I was heading back into Delhi to do a cycle tour of Old Delhi. This really was amazing and got taken to some places you would never discover on your own as it was so authentic and real. Finished off with an indian breakfast in the backsteets at a famous place called ‘Karims’. Then went and checked out India gate before going back to the hotel and heading for the airport.

Air India Executive class DEL-BOM

Booked a cheap ticket for around £40. Had a little bit of time in the AI lounge and then headed to board. Got the magic beep upon boarding and settled into the 3F. Can only think it was because of A* Gold status. Slept the whole way so no photos, sorry!

Four Seasons Mumbai

Took uber to hotel and arrived after about 30 minutes. Really nice business hotel that I booked through my travel advisor and got Four Seasons preferred partner benefits. It was reasonable at around £75 a night and that included:
• $100 SPA Credit
• Room upgrade
• Full Daily Breakfast

This trip was also meant to a bit of a birthday trip for me but that went to pieces when the family cancelled on me. Not that into Birthdays anyway so had no problems being on my own. I never told anyone it was my birthday but I the service I received from the hotel was incredible. Some of the best I have received in the hotel industry. Most staff members would wish me Happy Birthday and there was complimentary drinks at the pool and Aer lounge which was so nice. The pool guy also found out I love mango and personally delivered two plates of it on two separate occasions to my room. Had a cake delivered to my room and also another SPA appointment given to me as a gift which allowed me to have a full 90-minute massage. Not a spa guy but this was really good. I was planning on really getting out and exploring Mumbai but the hotel was perfect so spent most of my time in what was an oasis in the city. It was also humbling to see from my room the vast slums and really showed the vast difference between rich and poor in India.

View from Room

Great Service!

I got out for a wander around the southern part of Mumbai around the Gateway of India and the Taj Hotel where the terrible attacks took place in 2008.

Checked out of the FS and was picked up in a Mercedes E-Class for my ride to airport courtesy of Etihad. I was very excited about what was to come.

GVK Lounge Mumbai

Very easy check in, security and immigration. The new terminal at Mumbai really is beautiful in my opinion. Love the roof design.

There is only one lounge for all airlines at BOM which is split into three categories. I think im correct in saying there is a business class lounge on level three and then a first class lounge on level four which has a separate roped off area with table service for ticketed first class passengers, the rest being for elites. I could be wrong here though.

Was welcomed in and taken to the roped off area where I was the only passenger. Had some Moet champagne and a delicious small mushroom ravioli dish with truffles which was the perfect size. Followed that with a couple of glass of a perfectly acceptable 2012 Hawkes Bay Merlot. It was then off to the main event.

Etihad Airways A380 Apartments BOM-AUH

Here we go!

First impression were just WOW! Pictures don’t do it justice. It Is incredibly well finished and the colour scheme is perfect. Was warmly welcomed and offered a PDB. Unfortunately no alcohol apparently so the Bollinger had to be put on hold and water had to suffice.

I will mainly let pictures do the talking here. Service was very good though. Beautiful Russian FA was mainly serving me. Food was a little dumbed down due to short flight length but still very nice. Overall a great experience and was glad I had seven more hours of it coming up to London.

Scallops

Chicken

Cheesecake

Arrived very early into AUH which left me with around a nine-hour layover. I had contemplated getting a hotel but thought the new first class lounge would be open and I could waste away the hours as I was on the 8AM flight to London due to availability.

I got the Premium lounge and was taken to the roped off F section. I sat down and thought was the hell am I doing? I asked one the lounge attendants how do I get out of here. Made my way back to T1 and through immigration. Got in an Uber and booked the Hilton Capital grand on the way.

Hilton Capital Grand Abu Dhabi

Arrived at hotel and went to check in. Actually had to wait a couple of minutes for reservation to come up in their system. Typically, I got upgraded to the most amazing suite on stay that lasted roughly five and a half hours. Seemed like a decent enough business hotel that is near the Mosque. Took an Uber back the airport at 6 the next morning and arrived about 90 mins before my flight to London.

Etihad Airways A380 Apartments AUH-LHR

Got dropped off at premium check in and was through immigration and security in no jokes 90 seconds, or that is what it seemed like. Don’t want to spark a debate but the security at these middle east airports really is concerning and I think the same everytime I go through them. Some aiports may be very good but what I have seen is very relaxed. This is a major international airport with flights all over the world and you don’t have to take liquids or laptops out etc and then the guy isn’t even looking at the screen. I could be way off base here but just my two cents. Anyhow back on topic!

Through to the premium lounge and a quick coffee before boarding. Back in the most amazing cabin. No champagne for me this early. After getting my initial PDB I actually wasn’t welcomed on board once and my food order wasn’t taken. Small problems.

Amazing flight again in what feels like your own private plane as you literally cannot see anyone else from your apartment. A couple of service problems on this flight. No bread offered, serving breakfast main course before fruit course and forgetting an appetizer but as I said first world problems in the grand scheme of things. Much more comprehensive menu this time and the chef had a couple of his personal creations which were nice. The food overall I wouldn't say is amazing but presented really well and on lovely china. Some nice wines options also. Will just put plenty of photos in here. An amazing experience that blows any first class hard product I have tried out of the water.

Early morning OJ!

Breakfast to start

Love the coffee presentation!

Random inflight cocktail and amuse bouche with chef brought round. Tasty!

Lunchtime

Amuse Bouche

Chef's creation chicken main course

Lovely day to fly!

British Airways Economy LHR-EDI

As I couldn’t access the extra BA gold availability for economy flight I was left with a nine hour layover in London. Yes, I could have booked a flight using my avios and ditched the AA ticket but I am stingy and was confident that something would open up last minute. Landed in London, phoned AA and got my ticket changed to a flight departing two hours later. Even managed to grab an exit row. Took bus over to T5 fromT4. Little bit of time in Galleries first and standard domestic flight later was home.

An incredible experience and amazing value redemption. I had a day at home before heading back to the airport and the middle east.

Etihad Airways Business class EDI-AUH

Another good AA redemption at 30K miles barring the UK taxes. I could have routed again through London for the apartments or QF First but wanted convenience and transfer both ways.

Arrived around 90 mins before the flight after being dropped off by chauffer. Easy check in and little bit of time in NO.1 Traveller lounge. Flight was pretty empty in business. It’s a very a good business product, EY J. Lovely food and brilliant service. Got a lot of work done and it was a beautiful day for flying. Love the dine on demand concept even in J and they offered it proactively, more so than they did in the Apartments. Flew the day of the EGYPT air accident, so it was very sombre watching CNN live on-board and flying very close to crash site. My condolences goes out to all those caught up in the tragedy whatever the cause.

Machiatto to start

Breakfast

Arabic Mezze

Chicken main course

Cheese

Ice Cream

Really enjoyed what was only my second time in EY J and in someways more than apartments. Felt the FA's were more relaxed and could just chat to them. Spent a good bit of time speaking to them about various things.

Conrad Dubai

First off and through immigration and in the chauffer to Dubai in what seemed like 5 mins. Very efficient. Second stay at this hotel but first at Diamond. Boy did they hook me up! Upgraded to an incredible one-bedroom suite, with kitchen, amazing living and entrance foyer. Really beautiful room and probably one of the best hotel rooms/suites I have had the chance to experience. Was unbearably hot in Dubai and there really isn’t much to see in Dubai when you are on your 6th or 7th visit. The lounge here is great here so got my money’s worth out of that, all three sessions a day and just generally caught up on things. Met a friend for a quick dinner one night. Staff that I came across were all great and was a pleasure to be here again.

Qatar Airways First/Business Class DXB-DOH-EDI

Was a 3.15 alarm for the 5.30 flight to Doha and then onwards to Edinburgh with a pretty tight connection in Doha. Was at the airport at around 4am and then soon enough was in the lovely and quaint new QR Premium lounge at DXB in Concourse D. Quick coffee in there and it was time to board two consecutive QR 787 flights. There was some brilliant views coming out of Dubai just as the sun was coming up. It was straight off the plane in Doha and boarding straight away to Edinburgh. Sorry no photos on this flight as just had small breakfast after takeoff and then slept most of the way. The QR J product really is very good and the staff on this leg were great. Actually had some banter with them.

Views out of DXB

Conclusion

What a great whirlwind trip! Got to see a country that I desperately wanted to see and the Taj Mahal which is was on the top of any list I had. Going to India for that short period of time makes me want to explore it more.

Etihad apartments was very fun to try. I think its something to say you have done and experienced but I certainly won't be rushing out my way to do it again. For now it's back to club world but thats where I feel most comfortable.

Hope you all enjoyed and appreciate any feedback, both positive and negative. I am sure there are some grammar errors as this was put together fairly hastily one evening. Once again I appreciate all the amazing reports that are published here and long may it continue.

All the best,

ESFLYER

Last edited by ESFLYER95; May 31, 2016 at 1:56 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 9:52 pm

Thanks for sharing this. Really enjoyed your commentary and review of EY J.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Great TR -- awesome photos (didn't seem like it was shot with a phone at all -- you must have steady hands ).

Can't wait to try EY A380 in Dec AUH-MEL but agree the food looks great but not awe inspiring like the hard product is.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Awesome! Always shocked by the contrasts in India
Old May 27, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: Never enough
Excellent TR ESFLYER95, thanks for sharing! ^
Love the EY A380 Apartments.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
God I love the finer things in life. Thanks for posting such a fabulous report.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
How was the recline of the seat in the apartments? Whats it compared to with your experience?
Old May 27, 2016, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Many thanks for all your kind words!

Originally Posted by JHIN
How was the recline of the seat in the apartments? Whats it compared to with your experience?
If I am being honest, I only reclined very little. I know some people have complained about it not being the comfiest seat but I had no complaints. Found it comfier than EK F for example but not as comfy as CX F.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:26 pm
brg

Just stunning
Thanks for sharing.
Old May 28, 2016, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks brg. It was a fun trip!
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:55 pm

Great trip report

Hello

Just curious if EY offered Pajamas or amenity kit on the Mumbai to Abu Dhabi leg ?

Thanks

Last edited by itsmehereiam; Jun 15, 2016 at 3:55 pm Reason: Bad spelling
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Wow what an epic trip and what wonderful photos of each place you went too, and the ones in India of the Taj looked amazing, and as you said what a contrast from fantastic hotel and then looking out from your window to the slums of India, makes one realise how lucky we are here. Eithad is definately on my hit list, the suites look amazing, and with 2 trips a year to SYD it would be worth doing that trip once to get the experience. Thank you so much for sharing all your experiences, hotels, food, lounges and flights.^
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itsmehereiam
Hello

Just curious if EY offered Pajamas or amenity kit on the Mumbai to Abu Dhabi leg ?

Thanks
There were no PJ's but amenity kit was stored in the vanity mirror.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Wow what an epic trip and what wonderful photos of each place you went too, and the ones in India of the Taj looked amazing, and as you said what a contrast from fantastic hotel and then looking out from your window to the slums of India, makes one realise how lucky we are here. Eithad is definately on my hit list, the suites look amazing, and with 2 trips a year to SYD it would be worth doing that trip once to get the experience. Thank you so much for sharing all your experiences, hotels, food, lounges and flights.^
BA5E Many thanks for your kind words. It was a really fun trip and was great to just have a leisure trip. I agree completely. Very fortunate that we get to do these things and see some of the sights we see. Puts the world into prospective.

All the best.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:55 am

Love the photo's of India. Some decent food up in the air too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.