Search

tom911 goes to 2016 OzFest Surfers Paradise + Melbourne/Sydney + AA/QF

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 3:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
FRIDAY

I was up at 6am and in the 15th floor Executive Lounge for breakfast at 7. Nice assortment of cereals, fruit and pastries, as well as mango smoothies and mixed berry smoothies. Very nice presentation with a lot of room to walk around, and plenty of seating in the lounge itself.

Just before sunrise:

Sunrise:

Some photos from the adjoining beach boardwalk and in the city:

Met up with our group in the Executive Lounge at 5:30 for drinks, then at 6:30 a short one block walk to our dinner location, Seascape, which I had taken a photo of earlier during daylight. I selected the beef option which was perfect. Appetizers included coconut shrimp and gnocchi and pretty much everyone ordered wine.

Beef for me:

After dinner we were invited by two of our members from Washington state to visit their 53rd floor 4-bedroom suite which they had been upgraded to. They had enough floor space to invite a marching band in.

And what about this view?

Had to limit my evening photos to those taken with my cell phone as I could upload those immediately with T Mobile’s Australia partner Vodaphone. Not doing as well with photos taken with the camera earlier in the day as the upload speed at the Hilton is very slow and it’s taking hours to get them on my website. Clearly the only disappointment in this stay so far.

Photos for this segment start here:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Au...Coas/i-fcvJksn

Last edited by tom911; May 27, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Old May 28, 2016, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

SATURDAY

After breakfast in the Executive Lounge on Saturday morning, at 9am we headed out on two separate tour buses to the Byron Bay Lighthouse and Byron Bay, about a 90 minute trip south. Midway a stop at a combined McDonald’s and Krispy Kreme road house.

Arrived at the Byron Bay Lighthouse with bright blue skies and took lots of photos. We had a wallaby sighting and also observed dolphins in the water below us.

We did not walk down to the point below.

Spent two hours in the city of Byron Bay walking about. I had a lamb kebap for lunch. A fish and chips shop seemed popular with others in our group. Plenty of store displays that stand out and I popped into an outdoors store for a few minutes. Also saw a Greyhound bus which brought back fond memories of my backpacking days here in Australia (before air travel became so cheap here).

Back into Surfer’s Paradise and I joined others in the Executive Lounge at the Hilton. Beer and wine were available about an hour before we left for dinner. I was with a group of four that used Uber (first time for me). We paid just over $A9/$US6.50 for a 5.5km/3.3 mile trip, so less than $A2.50 each and cheaper than the light rail option.

Dinner was at the Kurrawa Surf Club. I had beef brisket and they had a large menu to choose from including seafood dishes. Nice bar with $A8/$US5.70 pints.

Back to the hotel after dinner where we met up again on the 53rd floor.

Photos for this section are in two galleries:

Byron Bay Lighthouse/Byron Bay:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Au...ghthouse-and-/

Surfer’s Paradise (dinner at Kurrawa Surf Club, hotel lounge, 53rd floor):
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Au...Coas/i-kRxBB4m
Old May 29, 2016, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Hope to get the next installment up when I get down to Sydney on Monday afternoon. Upload speeds here in Surfer's Paradise are dismal. I have been uploading photos overnight and working on piecing together segments in the morning, but that won't work Monday morning as I'll be on the way to the Gold Coast Airport.

Next segment will include koalas, kangaroos and crocodiles.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:03 am
Original Poster

SUNDAY

Set out by bus at 9am Sunday morning for the Currumbin Wildlife Park, about 30 minutes from the hotel. Toured the extensive grounds viewing exhibits with koalas, red and grey kangaroos, crocodiles, wombats, reptiles, snakes and many other creatures.

If I was a red kangaroo, this would be the life:

Interesting attraction:

Very nice grounds to walk around.

Lunch was a few minutes away by bus at the Currumbin Surf Club which is on the ocean. I had a bacon and beef burger.

Back to the Hilton where those of us that haven’t departed already for home met in the Executive Lounge starting at 5:15. Had broccoli soup and wine and stayed for just over 3 hours before heading back to my room to prep for a morning Uber ride to the Gold Coast Airport.

Well worth the visit to catch up with both long-time and new friends here. Hope to be back next year at a location to be determined.

Photos for this section start here: https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Au...ldlife-Sanctu/
Old May 30, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Thank you so much for sharing. I thoroughly enjoyed your narrative and photos!
Old May 30, 2016, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

MONDAY

Left the hotel via Uber just after 7am. Fare was $A28/$US20 and it was split between four of us on the same flight. It was 23km/14 miles.

We were all on the Qantas 9:15am flight which had no line to speak of. Compare that to the Scoot airline line next door which had at least 100 people. Good day to be flying Qantas.

My line:

The Scoot line:

Our aircraft to Sydney:

Visited the Qantas lounge for about 30 minute and had two miniature pancakes, some toast and fruit. On board the flight they served an individual pizza in a box in economy. Flight time about 80 minutes once airborne.

Grabbed the train at the airport and was at my hotel checking in just before noon. Was advised of an upgraded 14th floor room on my credit card renewal award stay. Think I made out here.

View from my room at the Intercontinental:

Spent the early afternoon walking around the city center, the back to the hotel for a break before heading out for dinner at 5:30. Went to the Mercantile Hotel in The Rocks where tonight’s special was Irish Stew for $A15/$US10.80 and a pint of Kilkenny for $A7/$US5.

Walked over to below the Harbour Bridge and found that was an ideal place for the Vivid Sydney Festival - had a perfect view of the Opera House and just a handful of other viewers in this less-touristed location. Thought the camera photos came out much better than the cell phone photos, some of which I posted on Facebook while there. If you look at my photo gallery, you’ll notice the progression in quality as I start with the camera and then progress to the cell phone about midway through those photos.

I don’t have the time to get in and edit those this morning so you’ll see a lot of them.

I did take a 3 min video with the cell phone showing the transitioning in art on the Opera House and that is on my website (no time to link right now).

After the Opera House, I visited the Museum of Modern Art.

And my final stop was at the Customs House where a story was being told with moving images on the building (something with geckos, witches and cartoon characters).

In bed by 10 so for an early morning departure to the airport.

TUESDAY

Train to the airport where it took a good 20 minutes to check me in due to a ticketing problem surrounding my upgrade. The agent was blocked from checking me in until AA could reissue the ticket with my systemwide upgrade that cleared about 3 weeks ago. This is not the first time I’ve had this happen and there was no risk that I wasn’t eventually going to get on the flight. As I’m writing this in the Qantas First Class International Lounge, I’ve actually just received a new e-ticket in my e-mail, so set to go.

The restaurant was crowded here so I had to share a table. I selected a fruit salad and buttermilk pancakes with ricotta and honey. Hit the spot.

Flight time is about 14 hours and boarding starts in 20 mins from this post.

Photos for Vivid Sydney are here (unedited- there will be quite a few):
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Au...-Vivid-Sydney/

Hotel and dinner photos in Sydney are here:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Au...alia/i-9BGrWpG

Thank you to those that have offered positive comments. Really enjoy piecing these together and sharing.
Old May 31, 2016, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Got some photos of the Qantas First Class International Lounge on the way out.

Rest of the lounge photos:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Airline-L...-Class-Intern/

13.5 hour flight to LAX with an on-time departure. Started with some French champagne in a tumbler, which I do not believe is the preferred way to serve it in my limited experience.

My window seat:

My preordered lunch selection was rack of lamb:

An hour before arrival, a full American breakfast:

The other meal photos from this flight are here:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/American-...es-My-Carrier/

Sydney view on departure:

Probably could have made the 0900 LAX-SFO flight, as I was in the Flagship Lounge at 0815, but didn't stop to ask if there were seats back at TBIT (Tom Bradley International Terminal), and doing that, plus retagging my bag, let alone the shuttle to the remote terminal, was just more risk than I wanted to take on, knowing the gate would close at 0850. Was fine on the 1100 flight in F which easily connected to BART and then a bus home.

That's it for this trip.

Last edited by tom911; May 31, 2016 at 5:32 pm
Old May 31, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Great report. I always find it interesting reading trip reports on places that I've been. I kind of takes you back there. My son loved the Currumbin Sanctuary went we went. Great place to walk around. When we showed people pictures from our vacation, everyone always ask if the Red Kangaroo is dead or alive lol. I'd say they keep them pretty relaxed. Thanks for sharing!
Old May 31, 2016, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

I talked with one of the staff there who explained they raise those kangaroos in-house from birth which makes them comfortable to be around children. I was a little surprised, not knowing the background, when I saw children feeding kangaroos and some petting the ones laying on the ground, though the staff warned at least one child that he was being a little aggressive and to stop.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Wow, they did a great job with the show at the festival^
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Let me link the 3 min cell phone video of the Opera House during Vivid Sydney now that I'm home. You'll hear the trains in the background crossing the Harbour Bridge, as I'm right below it, and get a better appreciation for the scale of production and why they have to start planning 12 months out.

High def:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel-Au...90538-1920.mp4

Standard def:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel-Au...190538-640.mp4

Last edited by tom911; Jun 1, 2016 at 2:03 pm
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:19 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Great TR, tom911 and thanks for getting me and serfty in a photo

We are aiming to get that 2 bed sub-penthouse room when next at the Hilton SP. Although my legs go to jelly just stepping outside onto the verandah.

Look forward to seeing your at ozfest again next year and perhaps as part of our trip to the USA in September 2017.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.