Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - BIO; 06 Feb, Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
LHR - BIO; 06 Feb, Club Europe

The quest to keep the dark, dank London January and February months bearable started with a trip to Palma a few weeks previously, followed by a trip to Krakow, and then a trip to Bilbao.

I had visited Bilbao in 2009 and had a fantastic time during their August festival. Returning in the winter, what would I find? And what would the flight be like?

Last time I was flying on easyJet, this time, I would be on BA given their bargain holiday prices.

Return flights from Heathrow, with one night B&B at a nice 4* hotel (Hesperia Bilbao) was £134.00 in economy, and £268 in Club Europe. My pals opted for Y flights and five star Melia and were disappointed by the Melia - old fashioned and a little out of the way.

I had an early flight on Saturday morning, so headed to the Hilton Garden Inn the night before. This is just around the corner from Hatton Cross Underground Station (a bleak place) and was walking distance. Despite a tiny niggle when checking in, I really liked this hotel. Much nicer than say a Premier Inn, with a fantastically comfortable bed and the room was quite bright. No runway views though but it was just one night….

So, a few pictures of the Hilton Garden Inn, Heathrow…

This used to be a Jurys Inn but the looks of it they have completely redesigned the place.

The next morning it was a quick walk to Hatton Cross for the tube to Terminal 3.

A linger outside the Virgin area of the airport before heading to security.

Security was quick, and quite entertaining.
A more mature gentleman was advised that he had something in his hand, and he replied, condescendingly:

“I think you’ll find, if you paid attention that my hand is in a cast!”

The polite security guard countered with “Your other hand? You’re holding an iPhone…”

The other gentleman changed his tune but I did reflect that security staff at airports have a lot put on them.

I headed to the BA Lounge, which felt like it was miles away, on account of having to run the gauntlet of the Terminal 3 shops.

It was quite busy around the entrance and I had a porridge and an orange, before exploring the rest of the place to find that it was really huge and not at all busy.

Now dear reader, I have a confession to make. I do like Champagne. And Prosecco. Was it too early to have a glass at 7.30am on a Saturday morning? I tell you what, I didn’t think so. However, by the reaction of the member of staff when I asked for a glass (and I hate having to do that – in the Virgin Club House they walk around topping Champagne up for people!) you’d have thought I’d just told her I’d killed her granny. Honestly, why are you judging me for having some fizz? Yes – I felt like I’d been judged for partaking of alcohol so early in the morning.

With my buzz slightly killed, I slunk into a comfy chair and read the Rotten Boroughs page of Private Eye, as I think it’s good to be angry as you board a flight.

Boarding was odd. Lots of passengers were guided to a jetbridge which ended up looking over the apron, so we re-traced out steps and found that we w ere not using a jetbridge today, and also, were boarding from the back of the ‘plane.

I hadn’t experiecend that before and it was an odd experience having to wait for passengers to put their bags away and get comfy before I could get to my Club Europe seat.

However, the service was excellent. I have flown Club Europe about once a year before this years batch of flights, and I have never been asked if I needed help with my coat. Today, that changed. And a super member of crew asked if I wanted to hang my coat up. A nice touch. And he was super all the way through the flight. It is all about the people isn’t it?

New BA European seats – so legroom a bit tight.

Take off was smooth and soon we were up up and away.

Service started quickly with the hot towels, and a cooked breakfast.

My question about Champagne was answered by my super crew member with a question. “Is it ever too early? And on a weekend too…” and a bottle was presented to me.

And then breakfast.

Breakfast was almost entirely grease free, although I am sure some readers are aghast at drinking fizz with an omelette. An airplane omelette at that!

Just a quick check that the engines were still there.

The captain advised that there were some very strong winds on the approach to Bilbao, and sure enough, the ‘plane was being knocked about quite a bit.

Around this point there was a noticeable drop in altitude and I heard lots of gasps from the other passengers. I remained cool though, because I am British and additionally have no idea of what the protocol is when a plane rapidly loses altitude. Of course, it was probably only a few feet but it just felt much more.

I continued taking pictures until we landed.

I had forgotten how stunning Bilbao Airport is.

I didn’t want to wait for the local bus so jumped into a taxi to the hotel.

My room door was camouflaged….

The room was tiny and overhot.

Apart from that, the hotel was nice enough. Friendly staff, cheap mini bar and excellent breakfast.

A local bar. Gin, anyone?

Bilbao was everything I remembered, and more. A fantastic city.

The home of pintxos did not disappoint.

And surprise surprise, another Spanish city having a party!

This was the Air Bilbao crew…

We wandered from bar to bar, enjoying beer and pintxos along the way and observing all the amazing costumes on display.

There was an almighty clap of thunder and then the heavens opened. After getting thoroughly soaked, I decided to to retire to a bar with a G&T… the first of many…

… and a good enough time to bring this report to a close. Cheers!

Last edited by Sealink; Mar 24, 2016 at 2:20 am
Old Mar 24, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Great report Sealink - and no, it's never too early for champagne!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:55 am

Thanks for sharing (and sorry about that CE legroom...) Didn't recognise the airport code, but Bilbao is somewhere I'm planning to fly into en route to a conference in Santander later this year. Looks worth adding a day either side of that for a look around - any particular tips for a first visit?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:33 am

"Around this point there was a noticeable drop in altitude and I heard lots of gasps from the other passengers. I remained cool though, because I am British and additionally have no idea of what the protocol is when a plane rapidly loses altitude." Made me smile.

Nice TR, thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheFlyingDoctor
Thanks for sharing (and sorry about that CE legroom...) Didn't recognise the airport code, but Bilbao is somewhere I'm planning to fly into en route to a conference in Santander later this year. Looks worth adding a day either side of that for a look around - any particular tips for a first visit?
It's a great city and the Guggenheim Museum is probably the most obvious place to start. Although the old town has numerous bars all selling pintxos so you should definitely try that.

I will try and get some pics up soon as part of the return trip report.

Last edited by Sealink; Mar 28, 2016 at 3:01 pm
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Nice report. Hope the return was as pleasant as the outbound.
Old May 13, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton HONORS Silver
Hi Sealink,

Enjoyed reading your report - but whilst doing so.some of the details seemed very familiar....Checked my records and I was sitting two rows behind you in 4C!! I agree the approach was interesting and when we dropped I almost spilled my champagne but I'm more experienced than that. Purser/CSD was fantastic. Had a similar conversation about Champers at that time of the day and he took the time to chat later during the flight.

Wish I had known you were on board!

Den

Last edited by dpherraghty; May 13, 2016 at 2:09 pm Reason: Spelling error
Old May 14, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels

Thank you! Another lovely report with a great writing style.

Can't wait for the next one. ^
Old May 22, 2016, 8:06 am

Heh. I enjoy your writing. It is never too early (or too late) for anything.
Cheers.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dpherraghty
Hi Sealink,

Enjoyed reading your report - but whilst doing so.some of the details seemed very familiar....Checked my records and I was sitting two rows behind you in 4C!! I agree the approach was interesting and when we dropped I almost spilled my champagne but I'm more experienced than that. Purser/CSD was fantastic. Had a similar conversation about Champers at that time of the day and he took the time to chat later during the flight.

Wish I had known you were on board!

Den
Oh gosh, I wish I'd brought my FlyerTalk tags!
Old May 24, 2016, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dpherraghty
...when we dropped I almost spilled my champagne but I'm more experienced than that.

Den
It's an art!
Old May 24, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
This looked like a really fun trip. Bilbao has been on my list for a while.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Bilbao is amazing. Such a vibrant city - I would happily go back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.