Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Emirates First A380 & 777 with some SQ Biz with Dubai, South Africa and Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates First A380 & 777 with some SQ Biz with Dubai, South Africa and Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat

My annual pilgrimage to South Africa is once again upon us and this time my friend Tom asked to join me for the fun. Hubby and son are back at home with work and school so it’s nice to have a playmate along.

Last year I booked Emirates going to South Africa and Etihad on the return. The trip report can be found here: BATTLE IN THE MIDDLE EAST: Emirates vs. Etihad in Super Long-Haul First Class

This year, I’ve booked EK First on my way to South Africa and SQ Biz on the way home. At some point I realized that this pretty much counts as “Round the World”. It’s still exciting to fly all around the world.

My friend has never been to Dubai or the Middle East so Emirates was a logical choice. It’s hard for me to say no to them!

EK 226 First SFO-DXB

We checked in easily with no issues. The ground staff was very friendly and efficient.

Tom and I before security

We got in the lounge and had a late lunch. The food continues to be the best at the SFO airport even with the opening of the AMEX Centurion lounge. We enjoyed a couple of glasses of Veuve and some nice food.

Lounge snacks

A lovely seafood starter

Zucchini and feta pancake with spinach cannelloni

As the lounge filled up, we decided to relocate to the Air France/KLM lounge which I knew would be empty since both of their flights had recently departed. Indeed it was a wise move and we enjoyed the solace.

A first view of our plane from the Air France lounge

Tom appreciates the privacy

Soon enough I received a notification from the Emirates app that boarding had begun and our journey should begin.

Excited boys in front of our bird

Upon boarding, the flight attendants informed us that the entire First Class cabin was ours to enjoy as we were the only passengers. That meant we would sit together in 2E and 2F for drinks and dinner. Then go off to our respective suites to sleep in 2K and 2A.

Nice to have the front of the bus to ourselves

We finally pushed back from the gate about 20 mins late and made it all the way to the runway. At that point a passenger fell unconscious we now know and we had to return to the gate. While we were on the ground, they continued to offer us Tattinger or as I like to call it “Not Dom”. They also produced some cold canapés.

The highlight of our return to the gate was to have the Captain come by to personally apologize for the delay and explain what was happening. He was very nice and I feel very good in his hands. This was a nice touch.

So now we sit on the ground hoping that we can leave by 6 p.m.

Due to the delay, they started plying us with food

Delay food

Coming up:
  • Lunch at the highest restaurant in the world: At’mosphere in the Burj Khalifa’s 122nd floor.
  • Emirates First Class DXB-JNB
  • And some Singapore Business Class.

Last edited by olafman; Feb 16, 2016 at 7:29 am
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Nice to have a a whole cabin to yourself! Looking forward to rest of report.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Titanium
Looking forward to the rest of your report. Never had a cabin to myself.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:33 pm

Must have been nice having a shower suite each too.

Looking forward to your pics of DXB.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:51 pm

Looks grait journey ) I'll try this airline component ) thank you for sharing!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

I always love your reports and look forward to this one.

Originally Posted by olafman
the entire First Class cabin was ours to enjoy as we were the only passengers. That meant we would sit together in 2E and 2F for drinks and dinner. Then go off to our respective suites to sleep in 2K and 2A.
Sweet. Pure conjecture, and likely not spot on, but I wonder if tomorrow's Super Bowl has anything to do with the empty cabin tonight. Many are so passionate they will want to be on the ground to watch it.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Firstly hope the person that was unconscious is ok. Never had a F cabin all to ourselves, lucky you, bet you were given the highest F class treatment. Looking forward to the next part of the TR
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Thats a wonderful glitzy cabin and you were lucky to have the entire cabin to yourselves. We did this cabin but from BKK to HKG r/t and it was 40% packed.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Great start to the report. Can't wait to read the rest! ^
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
EK 226: SFO-DXB First CLass (continued)

About five minutes after turning off the seatbelt sign, the Captain Mark came by having changed into his sleep suit. It was time for some shuteye. I guess that he had his bird in the air so it was time for some relaxing. His PJs had “CREW” on the back. I’m not sure why but I want a pair of those jammies.

By this time our lunch in the lounge was a distant memory so we decided to get right into the main event: Fine dining at 39,000 ft.

Something good is coming!!

Grey Goose and Caviar

Yum!

Celeriac Soup

Beef Filet main

A lovely ending to a nice meal

Overall the meal was very good. Eating at altitude is always challenging on the taste buds but things were good. My only comment would be they need to use a non metal spoon for the caviar. Even a plastic one is better!

After dinner we decided that is was Paradis time. Regulars of EK FC will know that this is the holy grail of what is served inflight. The flight attendant quickly brought our drinks and we though it was time for a trip back to the Back Bar. First off I can’t say it adds much to have four bathrooms at the bar. Then to have the galleys right there really kills it.

As we were drinking there, one of the flight attendants from First came back with the bottle of Paradis looking for us! LOVE THAT!! She quickly was met by our smiling faces! We gladly let her top us off.

It was actually very crowded at the Biz Bar. The “bartendress” looked like she was not having any fun. Also I’ve never understood why they don’t have a curtain between the Biz bathrooms and the florescent lit galleys. They are so bright.

Soon enough we had had enough of the crowds and we wandered to the First Class bar. Our flight attendant found us there again and gave us another top off and left the bottle there for us. ☺

The odd thing about the First bar is that the economy pax queue up for the toilettes downstairs and constantly look up at the first class pax standing around drinking! It’s a little bit like being on parade.

Enjoying a nice glass of Hennassy Paradis

Tom proudly displays how much damage we did to the bottle of Paradis

Does ANYONE ever eat the wrapped sandwiches when flying first?

The nice male Lebanese Purser came by and chatted us up for a while. He had worked for Emirates for 13 years and met his wife there who was also a flight attendant. The straight male flight attendants sure have the pick of the crowd!

Soon it was time to sleep. The flight attendants had made beds for us in 2A and 2K. I love having an extra suite that is only for sleeping! I had requested that they use two mattress pads because one is a bit thin. The EK first seat/bed is not my favorite. It doesn’t feel fully horizontal. SQ’s bed is much better.

I managed to sleep 4 or 5 hours. It wasn’t a great sleep but the best I could manage in a airplane seat. Soon my stomach was saying hello again so time for more food.

A midflight snack of a mushroom quiche

Next I took my mid-flight shower. Our flight would be landing at 9 p.m. Dubai time so I had only wanted to take a nap knowing I had a night of sleep in a real bed ahead. The shower once again was wonderful. I have always enjoyed the Emirates shower. I had a laugh when CNN recently ran a news story about Jennifer Aniston’s ad for Emirates and featured some footage of me about a minute into the story. I kept getting messages from friends around the world as they saw the story repeated on CNN that day: The CNN Report on Emirates First Class Advert

The shower experience ends with their Signature Spa tea which was pleasant enough.

The First Class bar has been restocked later in the flight as the Signature Spa Tea. WHERE IS MY PARADIS?!?!?!

After my shower, I decided to get Tom up so he would be able to sleep later. He too had a bit to eat and a shower. I asked the FA to start the cabin lights in sunrise mode so our bodies would wake up. Once Tom was out of the shower, the FA even offered to open all the blinds for some natural daylight. As the flight continued it was nice to see the real sunset outside and try to trick our bodies that we had just experienced a whole day!

Tom and I made a fun little video giving a tour of our cabin:

Soon enough Tom and I were thinking of some Bloody Marys so a walk to the back of the bus was in order.

It’s Bloody Mary Time with Carl and Tom behind the Emirates A380 Back Bar

Hello Magazine, Sweetie Darling!

About 1.5 hours before landing we decided to have our final meal. Both courses were delicious and really hit the spot.

Smoked salmon and lobster salad

Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli

Overall, it was another great flight. Having the whole cabin to ourselves made it even more special. I’ve been lucky enough to fly with no other passengers a number of times on Emirates and on Cathay. It’s just a private experience.

The flight crew was top notch on our flight and the Captain Mark was very personable. He even stopped by for a third talk towards the end of the flight. Very nice touch. We joked every time we time we pressed the FA call button by counting aloud, "One thousand, one, one thousand, two..." We never made it to five!

Up next: Three days in Dubai and the South Africa!

Last edited by olafman; Feb 8, 2016 at 1:07 am
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Great tr!! I'm looking forward to the rest.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
A fun start to a fun TR! Thanks for sharing it. Hope the rest of your trip went just as well.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:13 pm

Great timing for this report, as I'm doing the same in 8 months. This will be a first for me on EK and SQ - as well as South Africa.

I will be stopping over in Dubai, as well. Looking forward to your report.

Last edited by Chancensam; Feb 8, 2016 at 3:13 pm Reason: grammar
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, United Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the TR. Sharing the FC cabin with dine together, sleep by the window option was lucky. And the damage inflicted on the Paradis bottle was very well appreciated. Cheers.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:02 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Those are some pretty entertaining photos!! Nothing like an all inclusive resort on board!! ha ha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.