Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Emirates First A380 & 777 with some SQ Biz with Dubai, South Africa and Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates First A380 & 777 with some SQ Biz with Dubai, South Africa and Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Enjoying Cape Town

Since Tom has just started a new job, he only had five days in Cape Town before heading back to California. It was a long way to come but he got a flavor of South Africa.

During our time together, we did lots of things:
  • Cape Point drive
  • Penguins at Boulders Beach
  • Seafood lunch at Bertha’s in Simon’s Town
  • Several dinners at home in Llandudno
  • Beach time at Sandy Bay
  • Wine Country tour
  • Lunch at Terroir at Kleine Zalze
  • Shopping at the V&A Waterfront
  • Lunch at Harbour House
  • Hike/scramble up Table Mountain on the Kloof Corner path
  • Robben Island (I let Tom go alone on this)
  • Hike up Hout Bay Corner

We spent a day driving down to Cape Point, seeing the penguins, and lunch in Simon’s Town. I’ve giving this tour to many friends over the years.

Tom and Carl at the tip of Africa, Cape Point

Tom made it to the Cape Point

The seafood platter at Bertha’s in Simon’s Town

A group of penguins at Boulders Beach

That night we went into Greenpoint and had dinner at Pigalle. In spite of the slightly weird atmosphere, the live band was great, service was top notch, and the food excellent. As we are staying down Llandudno, we decided that an $8 Uber ride each way was much better than drinking and driving and landing in prison.

Osyters at Pigalle

Delicious tiger prawns

One of the highlights of visiting the Western Cape is a visit to the wine country. My friend had sent a new list of the top ten restaurants in South Africa. From it we chose to have lunch at Terroir up in Stellenbosch. We wine tasted at Kleine Zalze and Morgenhof. Next trip rather than driving, I am going to Uber up to the Wine Country. It’s just cost effective.

Wine tasting at Kleine Zalze, Stellenbosch

The amuse bouche

Starting our meal at Terroir, Kleine Zalze

Yellowtail cerviche

Prawn risotto

Shenji mushroom pasta main dish

Springbok venison

Our lovely desserts

Dutch colonial building on a wine farm

The cellar of Morganhof Wine Estate

Another highlight of any visit to Cape Town is a visit to Table Mountain. When you’re with me, that means that you’ll be hiking up to the top and then taking the cable car down to get kind to our aging knees. Since Tom, my son and nephew, and some friends hiked up to the top of Mt. Fuji (see HIKING ASIA: Mt Fuji and the Great Wall with some SQ First and assorted fun) in July, Robert and I decided that we would give Tom a challenging hiking route up Table Mountain that included some scrambling. Tom has never rock climbed or even scrambled. He did very well. He was scared out of him mind but in the end enjoyed it and was proud of his accomplishment.

Early morning hike up Table Mountain

Kloof Corner, start of trail

Robert and Carl perform hiking ballet

Tom reluctantly plays along

Carl shows off

The famous chimney of Kloof Corner. It’s a fun way to go up a crack.

Not an easy way down or up!

The clouds made for a pleasant hike but a bad view from the top!

Sushi lunch in Camps Bay at the Codfather

On Tom’s last day we did some shopping and then enjoyed lunch at Harbour House.

Tom appetizers

Our main courses were Kingklip and Seafood Pasta

Our final meal of the trip together at Harbour House at the V&A Waterfront

Carl and Tom for his departure

The car and driver sent by Emirates for Tom

Robert and I took a nice 55 km bike ride around the tip of the continent one day. We’ve done this many times while doing the Argus Cycletour bike race but I have never actually gone all the way down the Cape Point Road.

On most days the wind howls making it impossible. On this day, we had great weather and a nice ride. I wish I could be here for the Argus race next month but my work schedule has other plans.

Starting the ride at the harbor in Simon’s Town

Biking to Cape Point

Above Simon’s Town on the way to Scarborough

[url=https://flic.kr/p/E6Yc62]
Bikers at the point

Lunch at Two Oceans

Yellowtail starter

Sushi main

On another day we did one of my favorite rock climbs on Table Mountain, Jacob’s Ladder. You rappel down from the top about 40 m and then climb up some of Table Mountain’s best rock.

Me rappelling down Table Mountain

Happy climbers back at the top

A great view of Lion’s Head

High above Hout Bay

Scrambling up and up

A great view of Llandudno and the Atlantic

Hiking home

I’ve had another nice visit to Cape Town and soon I need to continue on in the journey. This is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth. I just wish it wasn’t so far from California. But I think part of my love of travel was born from traveling here so much.

Another beautiful sunset on the patio drinking some nice South African wines

Last edited by olafman; Feb 19, 2016 at 10:34 pm
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:48 am
Community Director Emerita

I really like the pictures of hiking up Table Mountain and then the hiker ballet at the top. Oh, my.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Brilliant pics. I am going to Cape Town for the first time at the start of April so your pictures have given me some inspiration and got me just that little bit more excited!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:55 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Lived in Durban for 4 years, but never made it to Cape Town. It sure looks a lot nicer. I did not have a good time in South Africa; but maybe it's worth going back to see CPT.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

SQ 479 Biz Class JNB-SIN

After a fun time in South Africa, it was time to head home. This time I decided that I’d travel east through Singapore because I LOVE the food there. It’s a great reason to stop off and eat some of the best food in the world.

The SQ check-in counters are located at the far end. Walking from the rental car return made it seems miles away. Check in was simple and efficient. I had a great South Africa lady was delightful.

She informed me that the security located immediately behind the check-in desks was closed and I would have to return half way down the airport to the OTHER terminal A security. Ugh.

Once I arrived, there was no priority line so I queued up with the masses and after 30 minutes I was through. Not a great way to start the trip.

My first stop was the SAA Baobob Business Class Lounge which SQ uses since it’s Star Alliance. The lounge is perfectly fine. The food offerings were nice but I can’t say I was very hungry.

First course in the SAA Baobob Business Class Lounge

The lounge was far from empty so I knew that I had three other lounges available to me with my Priority Pass membership. I ended up nearby at the Mashonzha Lounge which was ENTIRELY empty. That’s the way I like my lounges! The food offerings were slightly more basic but they were the same as I had found in the Shongololo Lounge just down the concourse. My favorite was they have nice plates of basic sushi.

Some sushi from the second lounge visit

Soon I got a text from SQ that my flight was boarding so I made my way to the gate. I never am a fan of boarding first so I took my time getting to the gate. Once there, it was a zoo but luckily the Biz class line was empty. It’s sad that both Singapore and Cathay Pacific no longer fly First Class to South Africa. WHAT ABOUT MY NEEDS?!?!

Once on board I quickly got settled. I was surprised that Singapore didn’t offer any alcohol on the ground. Just juice and more juice. For a 13:45 departure this was surprising. Not the best intro.

Only juice and water offered on the ground, no champers

This flight had the old Business Class which is a very nice product. I love how wide the seat is. I love sitting with crossed legs. The only complaint is that the feet cubby is way off to the on side which is a little awkward for sleeping. By far the seats in the first row have no cubby and the same legroom as First Class. Luckily on the flights from Singapore to Hong Kong and San Francisco I had snagged the first row of Business Class with tons of extra legroom.

Soon enough lunch was served with some very traditional SQ fare. They started with the traditional satay which I really enjoy. There is no Book the Cook from Johannesburg so I had to order from the menu’s offerings.

Typical SQ first course: Chicken and lamb satay

Prawn starter

I have flown many times on Singapore and Cathay Pacific from South Africa. My favorite part is that you get to fly over Madagascar as you are served the first meal. When we spent our son’s Fifth grade year traveling around the world, Madagascar was by far our favorite month of all 12 of the destinations. Such wonderful memories filled my mind as we flew over this magical island.

Great to see Madagascar again

Lamb main course

Chocolate ice cream dessert

The cheese course

The flight would be landing at 6 a.m. Singapore time so my thought was that I should try to sleep so I could enjoy my day in one of my favorite food cities. Unfortunately, sleep really didn’t come and I just napped.

Prior to landing we were served breakfast. I managed to eat the fruit plate but that was it.

Your basic fruit plate

Overall, it was a great flight. The service was attentive. The seat is comfy. They definitely have a top notch product.

Once we landed I purchased a hiTourist! SIM card for my phone and then went to The Haven arrivals lounge. It seems weird that SQ doesn’t have an arrivals lounge but thanks to the Priority Pass, I got a shower and rested a big before Ubering into the city.

My day in Singapore was a bit of a jetlagged blur. The highlight was a delicious chicken rice making the whole journey worthwhile. I really love the food there.

Singapore Selfie 1

Singapore Selfie 2

Chinatown Food Center Hawker Stalls

If you’ve been to Singapore, you know what’s for lunch!

Chicken Rice, a magical dish

The boiled chicken is so moist and delicious

Soon enough, it was time to head back to Changi for my final leg to San Francisco via Hong Kong. When I was once again in an Uber, the heaviness of the journey began to hit me and I dozed off. Once I woke, we were pulling up in front of the curb of the airport. My Dubai/South Africa/Singapore trip was coming to an end.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

SQ 2 New Biz Class SIN-HKG

After a great day in Singapore, I returned to Changi and was pleased that Kris Silver Lounge was nice and quiet. The food is lovely there. I had a nice prawn soup and cold draft beer to kill the heat.

Next I met up with a friend and guested him into one of the Priority Pass lounges just down the way. I visited both lounges but chose the lounge that wasn’t immediately next to a children’s play area!

Soon the flight was ready to board so I made my way to the gate and saw my 777.

As I boarded I was happily surprised to see that our flight back to SFO had the NEW business class seats installed. Yahoo! I had been on the upgrade list to upgrade to first but it never came through. New business class made up for it.

The other reason that was I wasn’t overly sad was that I was lucky enough to book 11A several months. The first row of business class has lots of legroom just like first. The first row is definitely the best! I could easily see that first was completely full and I noticed it was all male passengers.

A view out my window of the Changi airport

New Business Class

The flight to Hong Kong was mostly taken up with a nice meal. I had Booked the Cook which was very nice. On top of all the food I had eaten that day in Singapore and also in the lounges, I can’t say I was starving.

Scallops and prosciutto salad

Book the Cook Lobster Thermador

A lovely cheese course

The worst part of stopping off in Hong Kong was that all passengers had to deplane, go through security and then hang out at the lounge before reboarding and continuing on to SFO.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

SQ 2 New Biz Class HKG-SFO

I was dead tired when we finally took off after midnight so I went to bed instead of having another meal. Sleep was great and the bed was comfy. I didn’t want to sleep for too long since we would be arriving at 8 p.m. and I wanted to get a good night’s sleep back at home.

Once I was awake, the flight attendant came by asking if I wanted dinner. I wasn’t very hungry but I decided to try the cognac beef I had booked.

Book the Cook XO Cognac Beef

A couple of hours later, I had a nice fresh salad.

Prior to landing, they served breakfast. I’m not sure it’s the meal that my body would have chosen but I ate it anyway.

Breakfast fruit starter

Dim Sum main course

The crew was wonderful throughout the flight. I give them top marks without a doubt.

Flying home from South Africa via Singapore and Hong Kong is NOT my favorite way to get home. The stopover in Hong Kong occurred when my body was very tired. I’m not sure that I need to fly home that way again. Maybe if I was in First on the A380 via Narita into LAX and I would have felt better.

The two and a half week trip was wonderful. We made lots of good memories, had lots of great flights and enjoyed hanging out with wonderful friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.