AA to New York City - it's a winter wonderland here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to New York City - it's a winter wonderland here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Hey, Tom! We must have just missed each other at JFK. My flight landed at 1:25.

Hope you enjoyed your NYC adventure. Safe and happy travels home.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Great photos, thanks for sharing, and thanks for reminding me why I moved to San Diego
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Wow great TR! Looks like you had quite an adventure in NYC - glad to head that you were able to get out on Sunday already!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:08 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm finally at SFO waiting on a parking shuttle. Cleared upgrades all the way home JFK-MIA-SFO starting at 1715.
Gate agent moved me up on the second segment 7 mins before departure. Boarding for that flight had already commenced by the time I went from D11 to D43. Glad to be home.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Great pics tom911... ^
It must have been quite extraordinary to experience New York in these conditions...!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Great pics tom911... ^
It must have been quite extraordinary to experience New York in these conditions...!
Probably something I'll never see again my lifetime. Two years ago I traveled with friends to Boston in a snowstorm and AA cancelled our flights while at the Sacramento Airport. Was able to reroute on US and made it as far as Philadelphia before we couldn't get any farther due to flights being cancelled. With that trip, we were able to get out the next morning. Up until this last weekend, that was my major snow storm experience.

Originally Posted by ysolde
Hey, Tom! We must have just missed each other at JFK. My flight landed at 1:25.
I was at JFK just before 1pm. I noticed the 11:30 MIA flight was delayed to 1:00 and walked over to the gate to ask about standing by. Agent was being yelled at by two very upset customers and I recall the words "oversold" and "next availlable seats are after 8pm". I walked to the AC and they told me not to bother with standing by on earlier MIA flights as I'd never clear the list.

My big concern was an hour connection at MIA knowing that some flights at JFK were delayed. As I posted before, by the time I got to the gate for MIA-SFO they were already boarding, so not much margin if we had been delayed. I had checked hotels before we ever left JFK and had a plan ready if I had to overnight at MIA.

Originally Posted by LukasVIE
Wow great TR! Looks like you had quite an adventure in NYC - glad to head that you were able to get out on Sunday already!
My original booking was JFK-DFW-SFO on Sunday afternoon, and when the JFK-DFW was cancelled I moved to the same routing on Monday while it had seats. Once at my hotel I noticed one seat left on the 9:50pm JFK-SFO on Sunday night and moved to that, but it was cancelled, too. The best AA could do for me was the routing via MIA on Monday afternoon. When I called them there was just nothing any earlier. Everything worked out in the end with some minor aggravation.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Dinner on the 2129 MIA-SFO was an artichoke and sun-dried tomato enchilada which was flavorless - needed some salsa and it would have been fine. Other option was chicken and green beans (I had chicken on the flight down to MIA but didn't take a photo as it's an entree I've had before).

Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Great photos - I am sure there was a great atmosphere during the storm - I am glad you captured it here for us.

Many thanks

aks120
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:10 pm

Thanks for sharing this! It made me realise I miss proper winters - England has been very mild this year - so I flew myself out to Oslo for the weekend and spent this afternoon happily traipsing around in snow.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

I'll be in Scandinavia myself in two weeks.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Walked behind Madison Square Garden to a pizza place I enjoy every visit. Had sicilian sausage and pepperoni. Total bill with a drink was $10. Talked to the employees for a bit who told me they closed at 3pm Saturday during the storm, primarily because there just wasn’t anyone out on the street to come in.

Pizza Suprema, my favorite too! Someplace might make it better, somewhere, but no one's going to beat the combination of quality and location in my book!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Glad to see you share my fondness for Pizza Suprema. Try to hit it every visit. Not today, though, as I'm on a JFK mileage run and not leaving the airport.

Tom at JFK
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tom911
Glad to see you share my fondness for Pizza Suprema. Try to hit it every visit. Not today, though, as I'm on a JFK mileage run and not leaving the airport.

Tom at JFK
Enjoy your dinner in the FL.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Enjoy your dinner in the FL.
Not this trip. Can't get in there unless I'm flying international with EXP status or in F on a 3 class plane (right now I'm in coach with 3 open seats JFK-SFO in business- #1 on the list and expect to clear at the gate). On the way here on the 0725 flight they cleared 12 upgrades at the gate - I was #2 on that list. Holding at 92% for domestic upgrades right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.