Search

AA First Class, again and again... trying to re-qualify for EXP in one month

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

January 1st means the clock resets for elite re-qualification. So... we're all back to 0 miles. Thanks to an attractive AA First Class "sale" one weekend last October, I decided to pack a ton of AA flying into one month and then play the field for the rest of the year. Crazy? For sure. But nothing as insane as jona970318's 5 day back-to-back-to-back marathon.

So here we go... flying AA again and again in January to virtually re-qualify for American Executive Platinum status for the next two years... all by early February.

We start on January 1st with the last leg home from our Christmas trip to New Zealand. Our Singapore A380 landed just before noon and we headed to a quiet corner in the Admirals Club for a couple of hours. At around T-50, we headed out to Gate 44 and the bus shuttle to the Bus Terminal, yet another reason to start playing the field.

AA 5929
LAX-Denver
E75
3:00p-6:24p
January 1, 2016
Dinner

Granted that after 26 hours in SQ Suites, anything AA is going to pale in comparison. But like wearing an old shoe, it feels morbidly comfortable back in the mediocre AA saddle. Oh, joy... not one but two "emotional support" dogs today...

...and a clueless FA who woke people up while still at the gate to ask their meal selection, "salad with chicken" or "pastrami sandwich". No PDB until the captain announced a mechanical delay and then only after someone asked. In the air, she passed out ramekins of nuts but no drinks. Drinks came 10 minutes later on the meal tray. Chicken turned out to be the pecan crusted chicken which catering forgot to season today. On the other hand, the chocolate mousse cake was tasty.

Naturally, once done, trays sat on tables for at least 10 minutes as FA disappeared into Y to help out there.

On the other hand, she made two passes with mints, although I'm thinking that she forgot that she had already made a first pass.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

January 5, 2016

Tuesday afternoon, I head for DIA and my usual garage Level 1 parking space. Then up to level 5 to security, only to find that the South PreCheck is closed. Seriously? 3:15p on a Tuesday?

So over to North Security where PreCheck was open but mobbed, not so much at the ID station, but the line for the conveyor.
Apparently, it was kettle central today. Since there was only 35 minutes to boarding, I headed for the usual Gate 53.

DEN-LAX
AA 5977
E75
4:15p-5:55p (sked)
4:35p-6:25p (actual)
January 5, 2016
Dinner

Since I had added a few lbs. on our New Zealand trip, I decided to see if I could go alcohol-free this trip. Also food free at least on this flight, as I declined the salad (with chicken or salmon) or pastrami sandwich options.

AA Flagship Lounge at LAX

A three-class First LAX-JFK ticket gets you entrance to AA's Flagship Lounge, located inside the Admirals Club.

Tonight's menu looks good, at least on paper.

In reality, not so much. Do you think the kitchen staff could check these every now and then? Pretty pathetic. You have to be pretty desperate to eat this stuff.

I checked back about a half hour later and the staff had finally replenished the food offerings.

Salmon was pretty good. Beef was terrible.

Dessert was yummy.

At T-25, I headed down to the gate. The nice thing about the A321T, is that there is rarely any gate lice. Just board and take your seat.

LAX-JFK
AA 10
A321T
9:30p-5:45a +1
January 5, 2016
First Class
Late Night Supper

The 1-1 First Class cabin is about as good as it gets for domestic flights.

Excellent crew tonight and a new more substantial January menu. Choice of Shrimp Sliders with Asian Aoili (next week) or the Wagyu Meatloaf.

Spinach and artichoke dip was excellent as always, especially with the warm roll. The pita rounds continue to be disgusting. I've tasted better cardboard.

The Wagyu Meatloaf was a pleasant surprise although a little dry. Could have used a little more seasoning and/or a lot more pomodoro sauce. Roasted garlic mashed potatoes were gross... tasteless and absent any garlic flavor whatsoever. Odd that they would highlight caramelized onions when I only saw a sliver of one inside the half of the meatloaf I ate.

I slept pretty well for 3 hours or so. Just prior to landing, scones and yogurt fruit smoothie were tasty.

For many more pics and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com.

Most recent flights just added to SFO777.com...
January 6th...Back to LAX and DEN.

Will be added to FT ASAP.

And if you like these reports, we'd love if you would sign up for e-mail alerts from SFO777.com on new trip reports and our upcoming newsletter.
Please click here.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Some of the lounge-food really looks terrible! I guess you will "visit" some more planes.

P.S. I want some "emotional support" too
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: Meh
Wow, getting off an ultra long haul and starting a mileage run. Rather you than me.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
EXP in a month .

Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by stevie
Wow, getting off an ultra long haul and starting a mileage run. Rather you than me.
Agreed. Though if you're going to make that transition, SFO777's getting off an SQ A380 F suites flight is the way to do it.

SFO777, how many of these RTs do you have to do to qualify for EXP?

Anyway, hope it all goes well. May be non-delay, non-cancellation, non-weather, non-mechanical spirits be with you!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Some of the lounge-food really looks terrible! I guess you will "visit" some more planes.
P.S. I want some "emotional support" too
Thank you offerendum. Agree on the awful AA Flagship food. It's like someone told them they need to serve food for F pax and then they asked "how bad and cheap can we get away with?"

Originally Posted by stevie
Thanks stevie. It's really not that tough as all the LAX-JFK flights are lie-flat single seats. All flights have Wifi as well.

Originally Posted by Madone59
EXP in a month .
LOL. Thanks Madone59. With the new AAdvantage rules, it's really pretty easy, especially on premium fares.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Agreed. Though if you're going to make that transition, SFO777's getting off an SQ A380 F suites flight is the way to do it.
SFO777, how many of these RTs do you have to do to qualify for EXP?
Anyway, hope it all goes well. May be non-delay, non-cancellation, non-weather, non-mechanical spirits be with you!
Thanks very much Thunderoad. AA has really made it easy this year with the 2016 program changes... 2x EQMs for discounted F/J and 3x EQMs for full F/J. My month is 4 JFK-DEN roundtrips, then LAX, YUL, NAS and PIT trips. Add in 10,000 EQMs from my Citi World Elite Master Card and I'm just about there.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Subscribed! This is going to be fun--it's amazing what us FlyerTalkers will do...

As for going alcohol-less, that's the hardest part lol.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Sounds like my kind of trip, especially given that you appear to be doing all of the salient legs in First Class. Maybe next time you could bring a Ziploc bag along and sneak a load worth of veggies/rice/potatoes along to accompany the meatloaf for the overnight run to JFK.

I haven't done any big time mileage runs (or at least none worth reporting on) since my 87000 mile jaunt back in 2012. I envy you AAdvantage elites for being able to re-up over so short a time span! ^

Good luck with this set of flights!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Subscribed! This is going to be fun--it's amazing what us FlyerTalkers will do... As for going alcohol-less, that's the hardest part lol.
Thank you brewdog11. Yeah, it was damn tough. I weakened last night and had one G&T.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Sounds like my kind of trip, especially given that you appear to be doing all of the salient legs in First Class. Maybe next time you could bring a Ziploc bag along and sneak a load worth of veggies/rice/potatoes along to accompany the meatloaf for the overnight run to JFK.
I haven't done any big time mileage runs (or at least none worth reporting on) since my 87000 mile jaunt back in 2012. I envy you AAdvantage elites for being able to re-up over so short a time span! ^
Good luck with this set of flights!
Thanks so much Seat 2A. Oh yeah, being able to fly most of the way in lie-flat seats makes it pretty easy.

Most recent flights just added to SFO777.com...
January 6th...Back to LAX and DEN.
January 11th... DEN to LAX to JFK.
January 12th... And back to LAX and DEN.

Will be added to FT ASAP.

And if you like these reports, we'd love if you would sign up for e-mail alerts from SFO777.com on new trip reports and our upcoming newsletter.
Please click here.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 12, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA
Amazing! I haven't finished your Christmas Trip Report and you are traveling again. These DEN-LAX-DEN trips remind me of Groundhog Day!

Safe travels!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Good luck on your EXP run! I'm hoping that you find some Jetsmart (?) fares during these EXP runs to add more spice, although I guess you'd need a return and not one-way! I'm amazed you can accept domestic F after the joys of private! I think that's why I'm afraid to try private - I rarely fly, and only in discounted F; I'd rather not fly than fly in Y.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:51 pm

I was in the Flagship lounge two weeks ago and my take was that of yours. The beef was HORRIBLE!!! And I encountered the same empty trays, though on my second approach I spoke to the lady who did the refill, and she added that I must have the sauce with it. It was this green goo that was just as bad. You can get better meat at The Hooters buffet in Vegas, yes it is that bad.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had a fantastic experience a couple of weeks ago in the flagship lounge LAX. The beef was tender and delicious with the chimichurri The chicken empanadas were great as well.

I also found out that the Flagship lounge is going to serve hot food starting 2PM.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Read it all on your website, SFO777. Great stuff as usual. I just missed you in LAX on Jan. 6th by a few hours. Was on a MR myself and was flying back to IAD on UA on the 7:30am flight. East ops was fun, but was probably more fun for landing.

Thanks for sharing! AA food looks pretty disappointing for the most part. UA and DL aren't that much better though LOL. Pick your poison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.