Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A walk down the Las Vegas strip for 2 country bumpkins

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:00 am
Original Poster

A walk down the Las Vegas strip for 2 country bumpkins

My teenage son and I experienced two attempted scam / ripoffs twice in ten minutes on the Las Vegas strip yesterday, probably nothing out of the ordinary for people from big cities but for us it was a new experience.

We saw three guys dressed in Star Wars costumes, Darth Vader and two storm troopers so I stopped to take a photo. They said we could take a picture with them "for tips". After the photo I offered them a tip and they demanded "at least 25 bucks". Off came the Star Wars masks and it was 3 black guys. "Don't disrespect us, b****. Give us at least 25 bucks". We walked away.

Ten minutes later, a large black man cornered my son, stuffed a CD into his hand, asked him his name and started to sign the CD. Next step was a demand for payment. I grabbed my son and we walked away.

These episodes are probably normal low-level scams / attempted intimidation which someone from New York etc would probably completely ignore. However we have not experienced this sort of thing before. It seems the game is to imply a threat without actually breaking any law, and some people will fall for it.

Afterward it was a conversation with my son about (1) if a stranger approaches you in a foreign city, ignore them, and (2) the majority of black people don't act like this, judge each person as an individual, but out on the street, steer clear of these people.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
My teenage son and I experienced two attempted scam / ripoffs twice in ten minutes on the Las Vegas strip yesterday, probably nothing out of the ordinary for people from big cities but for us it was a new experience.

We saw three guys dressed in Star Wars costumes, Darth Vader and two storm troopers so I stopped to take a photo. They said we could take a picture with them "for tips". After the photo I offered them a tip and they demanded "at least 25 bucks". Off came the Star Wars masks and it was 3 black guys. "Don't disrespect us, b****. Give us at least 25 bucks". We walked away.

Ten minutes later, a large black man cornered my son, stuffed a CD into his hand, asked him his name and started to sign the CD. Next step was a demand for payment. I grabbed my son and we walked away.

These episodes are probably normal low-level scams / attempted intimidation which someone from New York etc would probably completely ignore. However we have not experienced this sort of thing before. It seems the game is to imply a threat without actually breaking any law, and some people will fall for it.

Afterward it was a conversation with my son about (1) if a stranger approaches you in a foreign city, ignore them, and (2) the majority of black people don't act like this, judge each person as an individual, but out on the street, steer clear of these people.
what the hell does ethnicity have to do with any of this? I feel bad for your son for having to listen your "advice".

You're in Vegas. Chill out.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL
Did you really advise your son to steer clear of black people on the street????
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:14 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
In before lock!

For the sake of mankind, I do wish those with your attitude stay away from not only black people, but stay away from all people in general.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
How does this constitute a trip report ? - you've posted on the wrong forum I'm afraid
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent
All I can say is "wow".
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA PP, DL Plat
...probably nothing out of the ordinary for people from big cities but for us it was a new experience.
I feel bad for your son. I pity you. I really do...
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:58 pm

1) I agree this doesn't belong in the TRs section (not sure where; OMNI?)

2) This part is certainly confusingly written:
the majority of black people don't act like this, judge each person as an individual, but out on the street, steer clear of these people.
I don't think the OP was instructing his son to avoid any particular ethnicity, but by "these people" he meant hucksters/touts/costumed characters and the like.

As always, I could easily be wrong.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by aa213bb
I don't think the OP was instructing his son to avoid any particular ethnicity, but by "these people" he meant hucksters/touts/costumed characters and the like.
That's the way I read it.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Off came the Star Wars masks and it was 3 black guys.
Um, yeah, this TR should be deleted by a mod ASAP.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Not a TR and not adding value to the community.

Thread closed.

matthandy
Moderator: Trip Reports

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.