Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Goin' Where The Climate Suits My Clothes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Seat2A - Just finally finished - what an absolute masterpiece. Keep fighting the good fight and I look forward to the next Seat2A adventure soon!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:06 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
What can I say? Thank you? That seems absurdly brief when comparing with what you just shared with us. To be fair, I just browsed through as I don't have much time right now but I'll be sure to read it entirely. I like your writing style very much. I cannot fathom how much time it took you to actually pen all of this down, let alone to plan it.

I do agree with you that traveling alone has a lot of perks. Sometimes, though, it just feels good to be able to turn to the person on your right and say "wow, right?"

You wouldn't have been able to do this with someone else though; that's pretty clear.

Congratulations, and thank you.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA
It is only appropriate that I finished the last 18,000 words of your trip report while on a turn this morning on UA A320 aircraft 4295. I too enjoy the journey and the absolute thrill of being in an aluminum tube at 35,000 ft+.

Thanks for all the work and attention to detail that you put into this TR. I find it fascinating reading.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: DL, AA
I'll say it again - this is a wonderful TR. It has inspired fond memories and many conversations with my family -
especially the Skagway train.

Growing up in the Durango, CO area I'm vintage enough to remember the "little train" D&RGS (coal powered steam engine)
chugging by our garden on it's way to Farmington, NM, ~ early 60's. Narrow gauge trains have a special place in my heart,
especially the steam engines.

ACCDraw.2 informed me that steam engines from the Silverton, CO area were purchased by the Army and taken to the
White Pass during the WWII era. I believe they have been scrapped.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Wow! I haven't been over to the Trip Reports forum for a bit, so you can imagine my surprise to see a few more comments on this report. As ever, I am so thankful for your continued readership of these long reports and humbled by all of your kind words afterwards. They're added incentive to always dedicate the time and effort to creating these reports in the style that I do. Thanks, Everyone!

Originally Posted by Chalkie
Thank you for the stupendous TR! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. What amazing travels.

PS: Note to self - find time to write up TR on my trip to Antarctica (incredible), Buenos Aires (fantastically interesting city) and Iguazu Falls (amazing) I did in January...
Stupendous! That's a new adjective for my reports . Thank you, Chalkie, and I'm sure I speak for many when I say we look forward to reading of your travels to Antarctica and South America.

Originally Posted by Duke787
Just finally finished - what an absolute masterpiece. Keep fighting the good fight and I look forward to the next Seat2A adventure soon!
Thanks, Duke. I have got to find a way to get myself aboard the Trans-Siberian someday soon!

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
I cannot fathom how much time it took you to actually pen all of this down, let alone to plan it.

I do agree with you that traveling alone has a lot of perks. Sometimes, though, it just feels good to be able to turn to the person on your right and say "wow, right?"
Thank you, SeamasterLux. I'm going to guess - perhaps conservatively - that at least 200 hours went into the writing of this report. It took me most of two days just to get the photo language loaded. It was quite an effort but the finished product has been well worth it. I'm thankful to Flyertalk for providing not only an audience but also a platform for my writing. Its nice to know that this report will live on in cyberspace for quite a few more years, accessible to anyone anytime.

One of these days, I'd really like to take a friend along for a trip. It'd be especially fun to lament over our presumed economy class accommodations and then - surprise! We turn left after boarding the airplane.

Originally Posted by Thor3
It is only appropriate that I finished the last 18,000 words of your trip report while on a turn this morning on UA A320 aircraft 4295. I too enjoy the journey and the absolute thrill of being in an aluminum tube at 35,000 ft+. Thanks for all the work and attention to detail that you put into this TR. I find it fascinating reading.
Thanks, Thor! The time and effort that go into writing these reports notwithstanding, once I get into it they're actually enjoyable to write and I couldn't be happier that for many of you they're equally enjoyable to read.

Originally Posted by ACCDraw
Growing up in the Durango, CO area I'm vintage enough to remember the "little train" D&RGS (coal powered steam engine)
chugging by our garden on it's way to Farmington, NM, ~ early 60's. Narrow gauge trains have a special place in my heart, especially the steam engines.
Steam down to Farmington? That's going back a ways! I used to live not far off the old railbed down in Bondad. I spent summers in Durango from 1971 through 77 (including attending Fort Lewis College) and continue to find my way down there once or twice a year. I used to ride the train up to Elk Park where we'd detrain and head off into the Weminuche on backpacking trips. Conversely I'd come down out of Chicago Basin and ride back down to Durango out of Needleton. It was still owned and operated by the D&RGW back then and was a great way to access the San Juans. I still look forward to breakfast in the Durango Diner whenever I'm in town.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:49 am

I was thrilled to see this at the top of the forum when I clicked over last night, finally finished it today. I first found your reports when I was planning my Zephyr trip last April and was instantly hooked.

Love the train segments, especially your commentary with respect to your fellow passengers, also one of my favorite aspects of rail travel.

Especially good timing as you've gotten me even more excited for my ride on the Chief from Chicago all the way through.

Thank you and well done!
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I finally had enough time to read this. Well worth the wait for another great Seat 2A trip report. Thank you.

It sure whets my appetite for upcoming EK flights, although at over 30 hours each way I will be sleeping for some of them.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well that was a pleasant 5 hours catching up on your trip report.

I remember quite vividly the drive I made from a Bryce Canyon along route 12, it was a truly wonderful ride.

You certainly know how to pack a lot into your holidays. You have the one thing I don't though that being the luxury of time.

As with all your reports I once again feel the need to try out first class on Amtrak. Of all the routes you have done what would be your recommendation for the most scenic?

Just to prove I did read it all I think you have been caught out a couple of times with autocorrect, stripe vs trip.
Also your pic of NZ dessert from yesteryear looks more like a desert although it is a beach. Likewise the Thai curry on EK seems to resemble you bathroom accommodations at the train hotel is SA.

Thanks for a wonderfully entertaining report.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Wow, how did I miss this? Bravo Sir, Bravo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.