Reload this Page >

Six Days In Sri Lanka

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Six Days In Sri Lanka

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:43 pm

Amazing pictures. This TR really inspires me to go back to CMB and not just for the cheap fare.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, KFEG
As with others, Sri Lanka just moved up a few ranks on my list. Amazing photos, thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I know every time I make the same comment, and they are becoming superfluous but your photos are inspiring! Thank you for sharing.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Thanks for the report. I have a 3 day stay coming up in May so i have some ideas on things to do but i think my time will be too short.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: Some basic level ones
Great report and lovely photos - thanks for posting it.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by susiesan
Daniel, my husband and I will be visiting Sri Lanka in February 2016. He has been unenthusiastic about going but after he looks at these photos I know he'll be excited. We will travel in the opposite direction as you from Negombo to Cultural Triangle to Kandy to Nuwara Eliya to Ella to Tangalle and end in Unawatuna over 14 days with a driver. I will visit some of the same parks/sights as you did.
You'll no doubt have a great time, susiesan. The cultural triangle is on my list for next time. My friend is just in Unawatuna at the moment and looks like a cool place to visit too.

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Amazing pictures. This TR really inspires me to go back to CMB and not just for the cheap fare.
Thanks, 5DMarkIIguy. Yes, so much to see outside of Colombo.

Originally Posted by dctravels74
As with others, Sri Lanka just moved up a few ranks on my list. Amazing photos, thanks for sharing!
Thank you, dctravels74. Sri Lanka would be a cool place to take your Sony A7RII, a very beautiful country.

Originally Posted by Madone59
I know every time I make the same comment, and they are becoming superfluous but your photos are inspiring! Thank you for sharing.
Many thanks for the great compliments, Madone59.

Originally Posted by CDKing
Thanks for the report. I have a 3 day stay coming up in May so i have some ideas on things to do but i think my time will be too short.
Cheers, CDKing. hauteboy did a 48 hour trip to Sri Lanka earlier this year and got to see a lot, so you should be able to see quite abit in 3 days too.

Originally Posted by mlpinto
Great report and lovely photos - thanks for posting it.
Thank you, mlpinto.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:51 pm
Suspended

OP, did you use a suitcase or a backpack for this trip?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
OP, did you use a suitcase or a backpack for this trip?
Just my carry-on backpack. I wore shorts and t-shirts the entire time, so didn't need to pack much.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DanielW
Just my carry-on backpack. I wore shorts and t-shirts the entire time, so didn't need to pack much.
You feel Sri Lanka is less formal than India? It seems that wearing shorts and t-shirts in India is a no-no...
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:50 am
Original Poster

You feel Sri Lanka is less formal than India? It seems that wearing shorts and t-shirts in India is a no-no...
No issues with t-shirts and shorts, you can see locals wearing them in a few of my pics. I wore trousers at the Temple of the Tooth though, as they are compulsory. Its been a few years since I last visited India, but Sri Lanka is definitely a more relaxed and easy-going place.

Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
That maybe so in temples...
I am an expat in India 2 or 3 times a year. Wear shorts during the day, t shirts most of the times....now if you are guest at someone's home or a three to five star hotel restaurant, do wear pants !
Short shorts on women are frowned upon.

OP debating if we want to spend a few days in Columbo and environs at the end of this Feb. Don't need the cultural angles as most of it came from India.

One way from BOM ORD in EY J needs 67500 miles one way. at 2 cents that is
$ 1350 PP. EY cash in J to JFK is $ 950.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:08 am

this was an amazing trip report and gets me pumped for our upcoming trip in feb.

the only thing I wonder is what hotels you would have chosen in the higher end category if the budget wasn't a concern?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:52 pm

Hi DanielW,

Great report with lovely pictures. I travel to India often but have never been to Sri Lanka, I notice some similarities but many differences as well. Looks like a nice place to visit.

Thanks for sharing!
ba274
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL-Gold; BAEC-Newbie Silver
Awesome trip! I heard so many good things about the place from another friend of mine, ironically a Kiwi as well. One of his buddies got married there a few years ago.

Was definitely on my list, but your trip really just makes me want to go even more. Fantastic photos! ^

If the Sri Lankan Tourism Board is listening, they should really get you on their pay roll...
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Siriuscom
this was an amazing trip report and gets me pumped for our upcoming trip in feb.

the only thing I wonder is what hotels you would have chosen in the higher end category if the budget wasn't a concern?
Thanks, Siriuscom. The travel agency I booked my driver/hotels with asked if I wanted budget or luxury accomodation. I opted for budget but was very pleased with what I got. I guess the luxury option would include the Aman in Galle too though?

Originally Posted by ba274
Hi DanielW,

Great report with lovely pictures. I travel to India often but have never been to Sri Lanka, I notice some similarities but many differences as well. Looks like a nice place to visit.

Thanks for sharing!
ba274
Thank you, ba274. I have visited India twice before, and was expecting something similar in Sri Lanka but was pleasantly surprised. Almost like alot of the good stuff of India (culutre & food) but less of the bad stuff (pollution, poverty etc.).

Originally Posted by umichguy
Awesome trip! I heard so many good things about the place from another friend of mine, ironically a Kiwi as well. One of his buddies got married there a few years ago.

Was definitely on my list, but your trip really just makes me want to go even more. Fantastic photos! ^

If the Sri Lankan Tourism Board is listening, they should really get you on their pay roll...
Many thanks, umichguy. Sri Lanka must have been a great place for a wedding, and maybe even the honeymoon too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.