Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The Great A380 Adventure. Apartments, Suites and More! SQ/EK/EY A380!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond

Disclaimer: Forgive me but while the trip is still a few months away, I needed to share the trip with like minded individuals hence the post. Thanks for reading!

Update: Changed HKG-DXB to HKG-BKK-DOH-DXB so I can try both Emirates and Qatar A380s.

Singapore, Emirates, Qatar & Etihad A380s, here we come!

Here are links for past Trip Reports that I have done:
Trip of a Lifetime! SN/LH/OZ/TG/LX F/J & the Aman Experience.
The long way home.

Introduction

The Airbus 380 has always fascinated me. I’ve been lucky enough to fly this amazing aircraft before and after each flight, I end up wanting more. So far, I’ve flown First or Business on the A380 with Korean, China Southern, Thai and Malaysian. With that said, it’s been a goal of mine to try out as many A380 airlines as I can. Well to say the least, this trip will do just that.

It all started as I was searching for options to get us back to Europe from our mini-vacation in the Philippines. One product that I was dying to try was the Etihad First Class Apartments. As I searched for availability, I was pleasantly surprised to find seats on the Abu Dhabi – London segment. A quick search also yielded positive results for London – Venice the next day. Knowing the limited time I had to score the tickets, I quickly grabbed it without knowing how I would get to Abu Dhabi. I booked the tickets with 40,000 American Airline points—best use of AA miles ever!

As I was telling my friends about how excited I was for the flight, they decided to join the fun and booked themselves in Business Class on the same flight! We will spend one full day in the UAE and try to see as much as we can. We booked the 6 Emirates in a day tour so we'll see how that goes. We’ll then fly to London, rent a car and visit Stonehenge, spend the night in London and fly back to Venice the next day. Cheesy activities I know, but wanted to check them off our bucket lists!

Next, I looked at options coming out of Manila and found availability on Manila – Singapore – Hong Kong with a day layover in each country. While we have already been to both places but we were still excited to visit them again and this time with our daughter with us! There was availability in First Class for both legs and the best part about it, the SIN-HKG leg was in Singapore Suites Class in their A380! It was also a chance to visit the Private Room which I've never visited before.The flight cost 31,875 Singapore miles each for passenger with the 15% discount. I transferred the points from my Citi Thank You account and booked the tickets within a day.

Since I had my Abu Dhabi – London – Venice & Manila – Singapore – Hong Kong legs secured, I researched on the best ways to get to Abu Dhabi. Etihad offers First & Business Class passengers free chauffeur service anywhere in the UAE so that meant we could fly and stay in Dubai and we will have free transportation to get to AUH. That opened up our flight options as a lot of other carriers fly to Dubai.

There were plenty of options to get to Dubai but the most obvious choice was the Emirates A380 direct flight. I originally booked this option with 90,000 Qantas miles but got intrigued about possibly trying the Qatar A380 too. After some research, I changed my Emirates flight to the HKG-BKK for 36,000 Qantas miles and after a quick layover in Bangkok, I would then fly the Qatar A380 on their BKK-DOH flight. I'll then spend some time in the newly opened Al Safwa First Class lounge then continue on and fly DOH-DXB on QR First again. I booked this with 45,000 AA Miles.

I was going back and forth if I should try the QR A380 since I already had HKG-DXB booked but the pending AA devaluation made the decision easier for me. The QR A380 redemption was going up in price significantly so this may be the last chance I have of trying this product so had to book it!

All in all I used 152,875 miles for each person and around $200 in taxes and fees.

Here’s what the final itinerary looks like:

Manila – Singapore (Singapore 777 First Class)

Overnight in Singapore, The Private Room

Singapore – Hong Kong (Singapore A380 First Class Suites)

Day Trip in Hong Kong

Hong Kong – Bangkok (Emirates A380 First Class Suites)

Bangkok - Doha (Qatar A380 First Class)

Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Doha - Dubai (Qatar First Class)

Two nights in Dubai

Etihad Chauffeur Pickup from Dubai - Abu Dhabi / Etihad First Class Lounge

Abu Dhabi – London (Etihad A380 First Class Apartments)

Overnight in London

London – Venice (British Airways Club World)

Not that everything is booked, I still can’t believe that I managed to snag all the flights in the days that I wanted! Four of my Holy Grails of award redemption in one go. Sure, I could have booked Economy or Business Class and saved some miles but what’s the fun in that? The chance of flying, Singapore Suites, Emirates Suites, Qatar First and Etihad First Class Apartments consecutively was just too good to pass up. I’ll be sure to report back with details of this amazing adventure. Stay tuned!

Last edited by AirForceFlyer; Nov 27, 2015 at 9:07 am
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, KFEG
Subscribed
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:15 pm

Bring it on.... And thank you for your service.... Aim high
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brodielayne
Bring it on.... And thank you for your service.... Aim high
You are most welcome!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Absolutely can not wait to read this one! Have a wonderful trip ^^
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I can so understand how you're feeling.... The B747 may be the Queen of the Skies, but the A380 is at least as special a plane and my personal favourite as well. I have an A380 F flight on QR coming up in two weeks and I'm looking forward to it like a little boy to Christmas...

Eagerly awaiting your report!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
Absolutely can not wait to read this one! Have a wonderful trip ^^
Thank you! Will be sure to report back!

Originally Posted by JohnRain
I can so understand how you're feeling.... The B747 may be the Queen of the Skies, but the A380 is at least as special a plane and my personal favourite as well. I have an A380 F flight on QR coming up in two weeks and I'm looking forward to it like a little boy to Christmas...

Eagerly awaiting your report!
Yes, I think the grandeur of the plane is really what sets it apart. Have fun on your QR flight! Which route are you flying?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Sub'd
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by AirForceFlyer
Yes, I think the grandeur of the plane is really what sets it apart. Have fun on your QR flight! Which route are you flying?
Thanks! Yes, the grandeur and the bar (which is so much classier than on EK). Nothing beats sitting there, sipping Krug and watching the world below go by...
I'll be flying CDG-DOH (with a long layover in the Al Safwa lounge).

Last edited by JohnRain; Nov 18, 2015 at 1:57 am
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
This looks like a cracker. Look forward to the TR.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Yes, the grandeur and the bar (which is so much classier than on EK). Nothing beats sitting there, sipping Krug and watching the world below go by...
I'll be flying CDG-DOH (with a long layover in the Al Safwa lounge).
I agree, the QR A380 lounge looks much classier than EK. Now you have me thnking about changing my routing from HKG-DXB to HKG-BKK-DOH-DXB so I can try QR A380 too!

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
This looks like a cracker. Look forward to the TR.
Thanks! Will report back soon!
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by AirForceFlyer
I agree, the QR A380 lounge looks much classier than EK. Now you have me thnking about changing my routing from HKG-DXB to HKG-BKK-DOH-DXB so I can try QR A380 too!
You should indeed consider doing that, the QR A380 is a highlight, not to mention the new Al Safwa lounge in DOH. I'll post a few shots of the F cabin and the lounge in early December to whet your appetite...
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:47 am
Original Poster

You should indeed consider doing that, the QR A380 is a highlight, not to mention the new Al Safwa lounge in DOH. I'll post a few shots of the F cabin and the lounge in early December to whet your appetite...
Ended up changing my routing to HKG-BKK-DOH-DXB so I can take the QR A380 as well! Scheduled about 5 hours in the Al Safwa Lounge too so we'll see how that goes. Four A380 First Class products now! Thanks for the idea!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
subscribed, cannot wait for you and family to start your trip lots of photos please, this is going to be one fantastic trip, bet you cannot wait to get started.^
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:25 am

lol looks like you had a similar idea to me. coz I'm in the middle of a very similar trip in terms of products/cabins tho a bit diff routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.