Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney the looong way; EY 789 J/F, EY A380 F, 16 hours in QR F Al-Safwa Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

More shots of the cabin.

It looks narrow, but I found the seat very comfortable and quite wide.

Lots of storage space underneath the ottoman.

I really like their multi-colored cushions.

IFE controller and seat touchscreen
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Considerable storage space along both sides of the seat.

Not-so-chilled beverage storage, but still convenient. I drank from the water bottles here.

Under-ottoman storage

Across the aisle privacy
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Bathroom

Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Arabic coffee, dates, welcome tray. It may be a tray, but at least it's classy looking.

As we were waiting to takeoff, we had a grand view of the Midfield Terminal construction, the airport control tower, and landing planes.

Finally, our turn!

In-the-air snack tray

Shot of engines from my seat

Trying to replicate Lucky's iconic image.

Somewhere over Iran.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster

The chef mentioned he used to work in a professional kitchen and was classically trained. Well, what better way to test him than to ask for a custom tasting menu?

I asked for smaller, but more numerous portions, given that I had already gained some weight on this trip. (I think he gave me the usual size portions anyway.)

The chef hard at work. I'm very impressed that he was able to do so much with such a small working area.

To be continued...the mother of all of iluvdoco's onboard gorgings and the best in-flight Etihad meal ever.

Teaser pic
Old Nov 22, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
IAD-AUH-IAD 2K! it was great to me and I'm seeing it treated you well also. Keep em coming!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shgroamer
IAD-AUH-IAD 2K! it was great to me and I'm seeing it treated you well also. Keep em coming!
Thanks for warming up the seat for me!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Since I couldn't decide which wine I wanted paired with my meal, I decided to try my top picks.

Starting with the Louis Latour Chardonnay, Pernand-Vergelesses 1ER CRU Burgundy, France 2013

Next followed by the Sauvignon Blanc, Seresin Estate, Marlborough New Zealand 2013

Then the Cabernet Sauvignon Blend, La Croix de Beaucaillou Saint-Julien, Bordeaux, France 2011

And lastly, the Jim Barry "The Lodge Hill" Shiraz 2010, Clare Valley, South Australia

I thought the Jim Barry was one of the weaker wines. Many wines were shared with those on the segments to/from SYD.

I ended up going with the medium bodied Cabernet Sauvignon Blend which had hints of "freshly cut cedar wood, dried tobacco and fresh blackberries."
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Standard bread selection

First Course: Potato and herb panna cotta amuse bouche with red pepper salsa. I think this was shared with my AUH-SYD flight, but the presentation here was significantly better.

Second Course: Beef bresaola; rocket and antipasti.

Palate Cleanser: Lemon and pomegranate syrup gratin

Third Course: Lamb biryani with fried onions, cashews and raisins. Excellent. Glad I chose the lamb.

Fourth Course: Trio of Fish with lobster sauce; paupiette of plaice, barramundi, grilled prawns with lobster bisque.

Fifth Course: Pumpkin and feta tagliatelle; rocket pesto, sun-dried tomato and black garlic. Mmmm.

I really appreciated the chef's skill when it came to plating; the plating was far beyond that of any of my previous segments. There was only so much he could do with the taste, since the food came 80% pre-cooked.

I was supposed to have the chef's special grouper course after this, but I think I wore him out and he had to take a break (and I wrote a very complimentary note to Etihad Customer Service on his behalf). I was also too full to consume anymore food at this point.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: QFF, Velocity, AA, LifeMiles, Avianca...
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Milk would've made much more sense! *Facepalm*. I guess I was curious to see what kind of taste it would have on its own.

Thanks for the bird ID!
Sacrilege!

Can be eaten in multiple ways - either as is like a biscuit (dry - with or without a spread) or as a cereal with milk or yoghurt.

OR school competition style where you have to completely eat 2 to 5 (depending on the sadistic streak of the judge) and then whistle for a few seconds. Often done as a relay in teams of 3 to 5 for end of year or start of year competition (or fundraiser).

Yes they are absolutely dry. If left to soak in milk for a few minutes they will puff up maybe 3x over.

As a biscuit with some spread (you were on the right track with vegemite), especially good with honey or peanut butter. A couple will fill you up as a snack and pretty healthy (un)fortunately.

Serious sports people eat up to 12-15 for breakfast!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IronMan25
Sacrilege!

Can be eaten in multiple ways - either as is like a biscuit (dry - with or without a spread) or as a cereal with milk or yoghurt.

OR school competition style where you have to completely eat 2 to 5 (depending on the sadistic streak of the judge) and then whistle for a few seconds. Often done as a relay in teams of 3 to 5 for end of year or start of year competition (or fundraiser).

Yes they are absolutely dry. If left to soak in milk for a few minutes they will puff up maybe 3x over.

As a biscuit with some spread (you were on the right track with vegemite), especially good with honey or peanut butter. A couple will fill you up as a snack and pretty healthy (un)fortunately.

I might need a separate Trip Report devoted only to eating Weetbix.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:48 am

Programs: KrisFlyer - Nothing
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I might need a separate Trip Report devoted only to eating Weetbix.
...and then you ask a FC Attendent to give you a Weetbix."We don't serve those..." Really, you server lobster, Krug and Dom, but not a biscuit that cost probably less than $1. Dear EY/EK/QR/SQ, allocate your budget!!! Also, if Vegimite is like Marmite, I love it is a sauce draped on fried chicken. Delish. I flipping flooded my keyboard again...
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: KrisFlyer - Nothing
Originally Posted by IronMan25
Sacrilege!

Welcome to the FlyerTalk Forums!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:56 am

I'm really enjoying this report. Keep it up!^^^
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thesly
I'm really enjoying this report. Keep it up!^^^
Thanks thesly! Almost done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.