Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Air France's Spectacular 77W La Première... arguably the world's new #1 First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France's Spectacular 77W La Première... arguably the world's new #1 First Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:34 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Wonderful report SFO777!! ^

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Fortunately, my next trip is coming soon...
You better have a good TR to tell me!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Your trip report is a great read! Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Wow completely amazing!! Ive long been a fan of CX in F and seeing 4 complete windows per F seat on AF with those perks & foid service makes me wanna try it.

Ok so how much outta pocket? PM me. Then again how can anyone use points?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:57 pm

yet another great TR! Thanks for sharing SFO777 This helped get through another sluggish day at the office
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Thanks for posting, and agree it is very stylish all around. My wife and I have been working our way through various F products and she still swears the LH new F is her favorite, saying that open seats are preferable to close suites like EY. We're trying EY apartments and then ANA F this year, but I have to say this new AF product looks really nice. While the EY onboard chef was decent, the meal you had bested what we had on EY. And lastly, your F experience appeared seamless from door to door, certainly not true of EY unfortunately.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:21 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Purim
The Devil is the details.....Heineken is the singular beer available ��

Ok, no big deal. But for such an impressive cabin and service and given some great French beers.....even a Kronenburg 1664...a bit disappointing. Posh Frenchies don't drink beer?
The hard product, lounge and door to door service looked impressive but I couldn't help but notice the wine list. I agree with the Viogner being an odd choice for the only white. I also agree with Purim regarding the alcohol selection. The reds looked interesting but seemed slightly less "showy" than you'd get on some of those high end Asian carriers. Perhaps it's just a difference in execution . . .

Thanks for posting.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
You better have a good TR to tell me!
will think about it
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Wow! As always, I absolutely love reading your Trip Reports!

I really like the idea of the curtain for the middle suite. Do the side seats have curtains as well, and if you're not traveling with the other middle person, how easily can they separate those 2 seats? (Privacy wise)

Did you sit on the ottoman at all - if so, how was?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great to see AF on top form...finally.

France has all the elements that should mean that AF has the best European First Class but it will take a long time to see the experience across the fleet.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jlemon
Yet another absolutely terrific TR from SFO777! Wow! ^
Several questions here.....
The AF website states that some of the flights between CDG and JFK are offering this new La Premiere config on the B777-300. Any suggestions concerning how one might make sure that this would indeed be the reconfigured equipment we would be flying on? And any idea concerning if and when this new config might be introduced between ATL and CDG as well as between IAH and CDG?
Also, if we were connecting to Mahe Island in the Seychelles via CDG on an AF codeshare flight operated by Air Seychelles with travel in the front cabin CDG-SEZ following a fairly lengthy layover at CDG (about 1/2 day), would we still be allowed to use the La Premiere lounge at CDG prior to departing to the Seychelles?
Many thanks in advance!
Thanks very much jlemon. Currently, new La Première is offered only on one NA flight, AF 8/9 to from JFK. My suggestion is to use expertflyer.com and check the seat maps. If it shows one row of First, you're good. But keep checking as AF has been know to move the plane to different JFK flights. Gradually, more flights will be added (next summer shows 2 new 77Ws) and to more cities (IAH and LAX).

As for La Première Lounge access for your connecting Business flight, I'm not familiar with the policy. But since they appear to be directly competing with LH, I would guess yes as long as it's same day. But others with more knowledge will be able to answer that one.

Originally Posted by LifeontheBeach
Great report and excellent pictures!
Thank you.
Thank you LifeontheBeach.

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Thank you SFO777 for this great trip report. I'm glad you enjoyed this fantastic product and that everything worked well with you. The ground service has always been exceptional but now, with the new P, the in-flight product has become top-notch as well. As another poster said, I have become addicted to AF P product .
Fortunately, my next trip is coming soon...
Merci beaucoup Goldorak. I am indeed a convert and am officially addicted to La Première.

Originally Posted by Zembla
Excellent report! Great photography too. Thanks!
Depends on how you look at it. The way things look AF's new first class can't be equaled in style and clasyness. I prefer style and clasyness over in your face luxury. Nobody is the same tho.
Thanks Zembla. Agree completely that no airline's F cabin and service comes close to the style and elegance on in the new AF cabin. Not surprising since it is France and they didn't have to go far for ideas.

Originally Posted by hamburglar
Excellent flight! Lucky you got to experience it.
Originally Posted by angeloedades
The cabin fit out looks spectacular! Awesome TR as per usual SFO777./AE
Thanks so much hamburglar and angeloedades.

Originally Posted by tuchop
Amazing report SFO777!! It looks like an amazing product overall (both soft and hard). To me, the hard product looks the same as QR's a380 new F class. Too bad we couldn't see the Alain Ducasse plates at the lounge .
Thank you tuchop. Sorry but we agonized over that since we had just had lunch only a couple hours earlier at Buvette.

Originally Posted by LukasVIE
AMAZING Trip Report SFO777 The dessert selection looks truly divine -- I probably would have gotten at least two
Thanks LukasVIE. It was difficult to decide. By that time I was stuffed and only had room for one.

Originally Posted by GDOCA
Wow! Simply astonishing. After reading a raft of BA F reports this is clearly in another league. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you GDOCA. What is BA?

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
@SFO777
Did Mrs. SFO end up finding a nice hat at Hermès?
Actually it was Loro Piana. And mercifully, they didn't have her size in the one she wanted.

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Wow, first class sure has come a long way. My last experience in Air France's first class was during the early days of the 747, when the upper deck was given over entirely to an in-flight bar. Other than that, we got lounge chairs; the ground "experience" was non-existent. But that bar sure was something. Great report, though, as always, and great pictures. Real Sauternes!
Thank you FallenPlat.

Originally Posted by fly747first
Indeed, Etihad can be very, very inconsistent, but the A380 F hard product is second-to-none.
Also, EK A380 F on a good day beats AF F out of the water, especially if you take full advantage of the layover options--complimentary Le Meridien hotel room with meals and chauffeur ride, excellent lounge at DXB, and again, on a good day, you can get fantastic EK cabin crews and cleaning staff that will keep the F spa showers spotless throughout the flight.
Among European carriers, I do fully agree that AF has the best F product, though LH is close behind in 2nd place.
As I said earlier, the First Class experience is not just the on board hard product. But having said that, I've flown numerous EK First flights and it does not blow AF F out of the water. It's good and the shower is wonderful but the A380 F suite is small, seats narrow and a tad confining. And ground service at DXB is non-existent. You are on your own from plane to plane or bus to bus. I'd take AF First anytime over EK or EY.

The Etihad First Class experience at AUH.

The Emirates First Class experience at DXB.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Thanks for sharing your excitement-it really came through! I was wondering if you had any good conversations with the flight attendants on the plane. Maybe it is different, because you were travelling with a companion, but I felt that CX really set itself apart for me because the flight attendants would talk to you and then remember something, and say goodbye when you are disembarking with a reference to what you had talked about earlier. A nice touch, like how at the lounge someone came to say the other guy apologizes for not being there.
Thank you s0ssos. We did have any real chit-chat with the crew. They were extraordinarily friendly but in a professional service manner.

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Wonderful report SFO777!! ^
Originally Posted by LivelyFL
Your trip report is a great read! Thanks.
Thanks so much gilbertaue and LivelyFL.

Originally Posted by JHIN
Wow completely amazing!! Ive long been a fan of CX in F and seeing 4 complete windows per F seat on AF with those perks & foid service makes me wanna try it. Ok so how much outta pocket? PM me. Then again how can anyone use points?
Thank you JHIN. You can use points but only if you are Flying Blue elite. And then they are ridiculously priced. 200,000 one way from US-Europe plus $300 or so surcharge. By comparison, Lufthansa First ranges 62,500 (on Aeroplan), 85,000 (M&M) and 110,000 (UA).

Originally Posted by benjahman
yet another great TR! Thanks for sharing SFO777 This helped get through another sluggish day at the office
Thank you behjahman.

Originally Posted by stephem
Thanks for posting, and agree it is very stylish all around. My wife and I have been working our way through various F products and she still swears the LH new F is her favorite, saying that open seats are preferable to close suites like EY. We're trying EY apartments and then ANA F this year, but I have to say this new AF product looks really nice. While the EY onboard chef was decent, the meal you had bested what we had on EY. And lastly, your F experience appeared seamless from door to door, certainly not true of EY unfortunately.
Thanks stephem. Lufthansa was also our favorite before this flight. Now they have some serious competition.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
The hard product, lounge and door to door service looked impressive but I couldn't help but notice the wine list. I agree with the Viogner being an odd choice for the only white. I also agree with Purim regarding the alcohol selection. The reds looked interesting but seemed slightly less "showy" than you'd get on some of those high end Asian carriers. Perhaps it's just a difference in execution . . . Thanks for posting.
Thank very much worldtraveller73. It looks like AF decided "hey, we're French" and that they don't need to impress with showy labels. I like Krug and Dom on SQ and EK, but the Bollinger was outstanding. We only tried the Drouhin Beaune Premier Cru and it was delicious.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Wow! As always, I absolutely love reading your Trip Reports! I really like the idea of the curtain for the middle suite. Do the side seats have curtains as well, and if you're not traveling with the other middle person, how easily can they separate those 2 seats? (Privacy wise)
Did you sit on the ottoman at all - if so, how was?
Thanks so much joshwex90. Yes, the window suites had curtains as well. The middle seat also have a full length divider wall that rises to just above eye level. The ottoman was comfy but I didn't spend much time there and Mrs. SFO didn't want to me to sit there during dinner.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 22, 2015 at 7:07 am
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by hugolover
Great to see AF on top form...finally.

France has all the elements that should mean that AF has the best European First Class but it will take a long time to see the experience across the fleet.
Actually almost all the elements that SFO777 raves about are available across the entire first class fleet and have been for years now. All but the new seat with the curtains. And I slept just fine on my flights with the old La Premiere seat with the hostess laying down a very comfortable duvet. Personally I don't care a lot about curtains. The real pleasure for me is the service and dining. And of course the ground experience as SFO777 has mentioned several times now. While certain details of the dining have been updated recently, the rest is the same as it's been for a long time now. And AF updates the dining in all classes every year or two.

And the other thing I want to say is that while I've experienced international first class on a lot of airlines, I really cannot recall hating any one of them. I can and will choose AF as the top, but that doesn't mean I don't really enjoy flying F on LH or EK or JL, or NH, or CX, etc.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
Although a little strange that the only white was a Viognier.
Maybe you should bitterly complain about having only one white wine choice. Maybe the give you 50,000 miles as compensation! Oh la la!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks very much jlemon.
As I said earlier, the First Class experience is not just the on board hard product. But having said that, I've flown numerous EK First flights and it does not blow AF F out of the water. It's good and the shower is wonderful but the A380 F suite is small, seats narrow and a tad confining. And ground service at DXB is non-existent. You are on your own from plane to plane or bus to bus. I'd take AF First anytime over EK or EY.
Not sure I'm following you. My comment explicitly said EK A380 F "on a good day," since I fully acknowledge how inconsistent EK can be. However, some food for thought:

- The EK DXB F lounge is massive with full meal options, spa, and even features a large relaxing fountain, plus you can board flights directly from inside the lounge
- On long layovers, EK provides complimentary hotel rooms with generous meal vouchers and chauffeur to take you there; thus, I don't understand why you say that EK ground services are lacking
- All EK A380 flights board from a standard gate; passengers certainly don't board buses when flying A380
- The window row 1 suites on the EK A380 are narrower than those on rows 2-4; personally I love row 2
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:26 pm

Excellent report. Thanks for taking the time to do yet another A+ report and make the masses jealous.

Using Aeroplan miles for first class in Lufthansa...close in booking only? Do you have status with Air Canada to avoid last minute change fees? Or do you just suck it up and pay (probably worth the fee).

Last edited by farbster; Sep 22, 2015 at 12:28 pm Reason: add
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'm no AF expert by any means, but does anyone know if there are plans to roll this product out on other aircraft (A380, 772, 747)? I'm guessing AF is about done with their 747s but I imagine they must be keeping F on the A380.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.