Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada 787-9: catch me if you can YVR-YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Air Canada 787-9: catch me if you can YVR-YYZ

This will be my first trip report on Flyertalk. Been getting tons of helping info from this site, including the two booked mini RTWs with Aeroplan, so hopefully I can make some contribution back to the community. Please excuse any imperfection in writing and photos

I had a trip coming up from YVR-YYZ, and I see that the brand new 787-9 would be delivered to AC in July, and scheduled as AC100 and AC169 during the month of August.

http://airlineroute.net/2015/02/08/ac-789-s15update1/

With excitements, I booked a one way on Aeroplan J seat on AC100 in early March for traveling on Aug 31, YVR-YYZ. Had not given it much of a thought until about a few weeks out, then I found out the 789 got swapped to AC102 instead! AC100 is now a A321. Totally did not want to get on the big recliner instead of the lie-flat 789 seats, I searched for availabilities to change my ticket, but nothing good came up.

Ok, I'll just arrive an hour early and hope for a standby.

Then about 2 days out, I checked the schedule and found out it was actually AC1173 that's going to take me back to Toronto, and it was departing at 10AM! Determined to get on it, I arrived at airport just before 9 and asked to be put on the standby list.

Didn't take any pictures of the lounge as I'm sure there have been enough of that, it was semi crowded as well.

Here's a pic of the new plane, viewing from the lounge

I headed to the gate C52 at about T-40, and luckily the standby request was cleared! With a brand new boarding pass. I hopped on the jetbridge and took the left turn after entering the brand new aircraft.

The cabin felt pretty spacious, mostly due to it being brighter and bigger windows. Though there are overhead bins in the middle

The cabin is arranged in 8 rows of 4, though there is no 8D/G, so this makes it total of 30 seats in J. Load was full 30/30, with one seat taken by who appeared to be a crew member

Unfortunately no PDB were offered for either myself or my travel companion... not sure if this was because we got onboard a bit late. Not a big deal for me though

Menu was distributed prior to takeoff and we had our meal choices

Noise cancelling headphones were handed out after take off (they were collected just prior to landing)

At about 90 minutes after take off, meal service started with beverages and warm nuts

Salad

Salmon

Fruits and ice cream

View of the cabin from my seat

View of the seat in flat position, I don't think it actually goes 180 though, the head part is in a slight recline, not sure if you can tell from this photo. I observed the same on the 788 as well.

Massage function is same as the 788

Don't think I saw the ambient lighting in the footwell and privacy screen on 788, is this new on the 789?

The seats have excellent privacy, you will not see the person next to you. Though this could be an issue if you are traveling in pairs, you have to stand up a bit to see and talk to each other. Funny how when I boarded, the FA told me this is a new aircraft, and we could lower the privacy screen if we wanted. I knew this is not possible on the 788. But later on, I found out that the FA was wrong, and there's no way to lower this

The remote is slightly different than what's on the 788, but I didn't notice anything different functionality-wise

Another noticeable difference is that 1A and 1K now have 2 windows instead of 3, as you can see from this photo

Some more shots of the cabin

We had an early arrival into YYZ, my bag was one of the first to came out thanks to the priority tag.

Random tip if you are looking for a Rimowa luggage. I got mine in France at this place called La Baggagerie, and I thought it was a pretty good deal. This is a 30inch topas, and it was originally 850 Euro, but they offered a 10% discount, along with a 12% VAT refund, it came out to around 1000CAD all in. Compared to $1250 plus tax for what you will pay if you buy in Canada, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Hope you enjoyed it, let me know for any questions!

Last edited by mattc2; Sep 8, 2015 at 6:41 am
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA silver
Thanks for the report mattc2, it was interesting to see the interior on this plane in J.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for the report.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:04 am

Well done! I enjoyed your report and photos.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Great report! Thanks a lot
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Thanks for this! Great trip report!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Nice report! And good tip about the RIMOWA luggage. I have to get a check-in luggage, and have been contemplating on getting a RIMOWA from the States! I could very well fly to Europe to get the Rimowa (in a true FT'er style)...because, why not?!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by mattc2
This will be my first trip report on Flyertalk. Been getting tons of helping info from this site, including the two booked mini RTWs with Aeroplan, so hopefully I can make some contribution back to the community. Please excuse any imperfection in writing and photos

I had a trip coming up from YVR-YYZ, and I see that the brand new 787-9 would be delivered to AC in July, and scheduled as AC100 and AC169 during the month of August.

http://airlineroute.net/2015/02/08/ac-789-s15update1/

With excitements, I booked a one way on Aeroplan J seat on AC100 in early March for traveling on Aug 31, YVR-YYZ. Had not given it much of a thought until about a few weeks out, then I found out the 789 got swapped to AC102 instead! AC100 is now a A321. Totally did not want to get on the big recliner instead of the lie-flat 789 seats, I searched for availabilities to change my ticket, but nothing good came up.

Ok, I'll just arrive an hour early and hope for a standby.

Then about 2 days out, I checked the schedule and found out it was actually AC1173 that's going to take me back to Toronto, and it was departing at 10AM! Determined to get on it, I arrived at airport just before 9 and asked to be put on the standby list.

Didn't take any pictures of the lounge as I'm sure there have been enough of that, it was semi crowded as well.

Here's a pic of the new plane, viewing from the lounge

I headed to the gate C52 at about T-40, and luckily the standby request was cleared! With a brand new boarding pass. I hopped on the jetbridge and took the left turn after entering the brand new aircraft.

The cabin felt pretty spacious, mostly due to it being brighter and bigger windows. Though there are overhead bins in the middle

The cabin is arranged in 8 rows of 4, though there is no 8D/G, so this makes it total of 30 seats in J. Load was full 30/30, with one seat taken by who appeared to be a crew member

Unfortunately no PDB were offered for either myself or my travel companion... not sure if this was because we got onboard a bit late. Not a big deal for me though

Menu was distributed prior to takeoff and we had our meal choices

Noise cancelling headphones were handed out after take off (they were collected just prior to landing)

At about 90 minutes after take off, meal service started with beverages and warm nuts

Salad

Salmon

Fruits and ice cream

View of the cabin from my seat

View of the seat in flat position, I don't think it actually goes 180 though, the head part is in a slight recline, not sure if you can tell from this photo. I observed the same on the 788 as well.

Massage function is same as the 788

Don't think I saw the ambient lighting in the footwell and privacy screen on 788, is this new on the 789?

The seats have excellent privacy, you will not see the person next to you. Though this could be an issue if you are traveling in pairs, you have to stand up a bit to see and talk to each other. Funny how when I boarded, the FA told me this is a new aircraft, and we could lower the privacy screen if we wanted. I knew this is not possible on the 788. But later on, I found out that the FA was wrong, and there's no way to lower this

The remote is slightly different than what's on the 788, but I didn't notice anything different functionality-wise

Another noticeable difference is that 1A and 1K now have 2 windows instead of 3, as you can see from this photo

Some more shots of the cabin

We had an early arrival into YYZ, my bag was one of the first to came out thanks to the priority tag.

Random tip if you are looking for a Rimowa luggage. I got mine in France at this place called La Baggagerie, and I thought it was a pretty good deal. This is a 30inch topas, and it was originally 850 Euro, but they offered a 10% discount, along with a 12% VAT refund, it came out to around 1000CAD all in. Compared to $1250 plus tax for what you will pay if you buy in Canada, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Hope you enjoyed it, let me know for any questions!
Rimowa are the best. Have 3 sizes. Airlines love putting dents in them!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: *$ Green
Nice report!

Two questions:

1. How is the remote different? I can't get my head around what is different on it.

2. The middle bins. I know on the 788 there are NO middle bins, but the crew rest appears to stop right after row 3. Does the 789 have middle bins that start on row 4?

Side note: dat a$$ looks in tip top shape
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Nice report!

Two questions:

1. How is the remote different? I can't get my head around what is different on it.

2. The middle bins. I know on the 788 there are NO middle bins, but the crew rest appears to stop right after row 3. Does the 789 have middle bins that start on row 4?

Side note: dat a$$ looks in tip top shape
Thanks!

It is only slightly different.

This is the one I found online, for 788

This is the one one 789

A few differences:
There is now a power button (on top of the XYAB buttons) that you can turn off the screen, I remember trying very hard to turn off the screen on 788 but couldn't do so

There's a button on top of the directional keys, i didn't get a chance to test what it does

When you hold the remote upright, there are 2 buttons where your index finger would be, for the L and R buttons, like playstation or xbox remote. On the 789, there is only one on the right. This is good because I find whenever I'm putting the remote back to its holder, i could accidentally press either the L key by accident.

You can now adjust volume on the remote, instead of reaching over to the screen

I actually didn't pay attention to the middle bins in front of row 4. Now that I look through the pics, you may be right. The bins probably start somewhere after row 4, I was seated in 5D, and I was sure the pax in 4D stored her bag in the bin on top of the seat.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yhm71
Thanks for the report mattc2, it was interesting to see the interior on this plane in J.
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Thanks for the report.
Originally Posted by todd-r
Well done! I enjoyed your report and photos.
Originally Posted by ffsim
Great report! Thanks a lot
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Thanks for this! Great trip report!
Thanks for reading!

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Nice report! And good tip about the RIMOWA luggage. I have to get a check-in luggage, and have been contemplating on getting a RIMOWA from the States! I could very well fly to Europe to get the Rimowa (in a true FT'er style)...because, why not?!
If you have a trip to Europe coming up, then why not? Germany may be the cheapest from what I heard, but no personal experiences

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Rimowa are the best. Have 3 sizes. Airlines love putting dents in them!
^ its the dents that give it the style
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mattc2
^ its the dents that give it the style
Totally gives them character ^
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:49 pm

I'm seated in 4K for my DXB-YYZ flight in March. Would you happen to know if this seat has 2 windows, or only 1?
I've noticed from the outside of the plane that there is a missing window somewhere around row 5 or 4.

Last edited by joer1212; Jun 2, 2016 at 11:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.