Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My First Trip in Long Haul F, flying in style on Emirates A380 F, SEA-IAH-DXB-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My First Trip in Long Haul F, flying in style on Emirates A380 F, SEA-IAH-DXB-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Looking forward to the IAH to DXB segment
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chongl
Looking forward to the IAH to DXB segment
Me too!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
You said you've never flown AS before, but also it seems like you haven't read any of the FlyerTalk threads about Alaska Airlines - or looked at the airline's website. If you'd done some research, you'd already know the answers to each of the things that seemed to puzzle you.

Originally Posted by HGHUA
After passing through the precheck line which was mostly empty, I went to the N gates where my flight was assigned to leave. I (wrongly) assumed that as AS now operated a lot of flights out of there that they would have a boardroom there. Apparently not as I had to ride the train back to the D gates to get to the board room.
AS Board Room information is readily available on the website. In addition, there are many threads here on FlyerTalk that discuss the quirks of the Seattle location. That includes the plans for building a new boardroom on the roof of N terminal, and the preparations underway for a temporary BR in the N satellite.

Mini bottles of water (lol, never seen these before) and a quick taxi to the runway left us running on time.
Take a look at the "What Will Alaska Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight" and the "PDB Improvements" threads.

I was intrigued when they started handing out the iPad mini size tablets for people to watch movies. Wonder if these are free for Y as well? How do they keep from losing them all the time?
AS used Dig-eplayers for many years before rolling out the new entertainment tablets with the Alaska Beyond service. There are threads devoted to both, and ample information on the website regarding the cost of the players/tablets and the content.

~ ~ ~ ~

I do hope you have done due diligence for the other portions of your journey. If not you may either run into unexpected issues/problems or potentially miss out on some fine opportunities.

My suggestion? Do some research and remember your audience.

Many readers on FlyerTalk gravitate to Trip Reports in order to learn something new, to vicariously share in an experience with another traveler. If you come off as a complete novice, then you are unlikely to garner the level of readership or following that desire.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, former DL Gold
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
You said you've never flown AS before, but also it seems like you haven't read any of the FlyerTalk threads about Alaska Airlines - or looked at the airline's website. If you'd done some research, you'd already know the answers to each of the things that seemed to puzzle you.

AS Board Room information is readily available on the website. In addition, there are many threads here on FlyerTalk that discuss the quirks of the Seattle location. That includes the plans for building a new boardroom on the roof of N terminal, and the preparations underway for a temporary BR in the N satellite.

Take a look at the "What Will Alaska Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight" and the "PDB Improvements" threads.

AS used Dig-eplayers for many years before rolling out the new entertainment tablets with the Alaska Beyond service. There are threads devoted to both, and ample information on the website regarding the cost of the players/tablets and the content.

~ ~ ~ ~

I do hope you have done due diligence for the other portions of your journey. If not you may either run into unexpected issues/problems or potentially miss out on some fine opportunities.

Many readers on FlyerTalk gravitate to Trip Reports in order to learn something new, to vicariously share in an experience with another traveler. If you come off as a complete novice, then you are unlikely to garner the level of readership or following that desire.
Wow that reply came off a little more hostile than I'm used to in the TR section... I believe the OP also did mention that there was a last minute change that put him on the AS nonstop - perhaps he didn't have time to research the short, domestic connecting flight at the last minute? This would be hardly the bulk of his trip report content..

Thanks for writing OP! Looking forward to the rest!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:02 pm

You said you've never flown AS before, but also it seems like you haven't read any of the FlyerTalk threads about Alaska Airlines - or looked at the airline's website.
And pleased to meet you as well! Mental note - don't visit the AS forum...

Hopefully Mr. Perfect never runs into any travel problem that he hasn't sufficiently prepared for in advance with his meticulous "due diligence". Heck, if we were all so perfect, FT wouldn't even exist because we'd all already know everything.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond

Many people here are simply here to share their trips. If you already know it all, then move on. I also don't understand the hostility towards someone who is taking their time to present their thoughts, and who is obviously excited to indulge a bit thanks to the knowledge garnered from this forum. I'll be doing the same shortly and I'll share my thoughts and photos as I see fit.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Umm. Thanks all. Let me clarify, yeah it was my first AS flight but mostly because I just moved to SEA a few years ago and I'm pursuing my United MM status before moving on to another program. Probably AS. Sure, these things are new to me but I love sharing things I find different. Still beats out a UA flight though in my book. lol. I'll drop by the AS forum and start reading up. I did do some research on EK to make sure I experience everything.

Anyways, Just wanted to do a little mini post about my time in Houston. Second time here and this time I got to see a bit more. I'm heading to the airport in a few min for the EK flight so I'll post that when I get to DXB.

Hyatt Place IAH:

Room is pretty standard for a hyatt place. Clean and nice. AC works well in this Texas heat. Its actually a great place to stay as it has an airport shuttle and is just 2 blocks away from the 102 bus stop direct into the city.

Interestingly enough Houston's bus and train services were all FREE from the 16th-22nd, so that how I got around. Great (accidental) timing.

New light rail system I guess. Pretty efficient way of getting around Houston downtown. I forgot how big Texas can be. lol

Tracks through the fountain. Even shoots water over the train in an arch if its timed right.

NABI Buses

Thats a lot of pita bread...

Pink construction equipment anyone? Think the trend will take off?

But the best part was the BBQ. Tried 2 places. Goode Company in Houston and Killen's BBQ in Pearland. Killen's was by far superior.

Beef Brisket Sandwich at Goode Company. It was ok.

Beef Ribs, Brisket, Cream corn, green beans, and bread pudding. Sooo good.

Anyways back to the regularly scheduled program in a bit. Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Thanks all. Let me clarify, yeah it was my first AS flight but mostly because I just moved to SEA a few years ago and I'm pursuing my United MM status before moving on to another program. Probably AS. Sure, these things are new to me but I love sharing things I find different. Still beats out a UA flight though in my book. lol. I'll drop by the AS forum and start reading up. I did do some research on EK to make sure I experience everything.
The AS forum and the Alaska Air website both have a wealth of information, especially for someone based in Seattle. Glad to hear that you've scoped out EK and Dubai in advance - I'm looking forward to tagging along on the trip.

But the best part was the BBQ. Tried 2 places. Goode Company in Houston and Killen's BBQ in Pearland. Killen's was by far superior.

Beef Brisket Sandwich at Goode Company. It was ok.

Beef Ribs, Brisket, Cream corn, green beans, and bread pudding. Sooo good.
Those are some great "comfort food" photos. Checking out genuine Texas barbeque sounds like an excellent way to spend pre-flight time!

Last edited by AKCuisine; Aug 20, 2015 at 8:33 am
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Good TR, HGHUA! I really appreciate anyone who takes the time out and shares their experience. I hope you tried/will try out EK's shower on-board their A388. Quite an experience!! Have done it myself, many times, but everytime I do it, I become, like a little kid who is visiting Disneyland for the first time.
Hope you enjoyed the DOM on-board as well (not quite sure if EK's still serving DOM in F)!

Looking forward to your TR, and safe travels!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

IAH-DXB

So here we go. Lots of pics.

Starting in check in at IAH seems quite quiet. Emirates line is quite empty but there was a line for a Qatar flight.

I guess I was a bit early, at 3 hrs before the flight though...

Likewise security was a quick and easy affair, even without pre-check.

Since I had time I walked around a little.

Air France 777 boarding to Paris.

My Boarding Passes

Meal Voucher. Ended up giving this away to some guys who looked hungry as I ate in the lounge.

Then checked out the Terminal D Executive Club Lounge. It honestly wasn't as bad as I was predicting. For a US lounge it wasn't too bad. Interestingly enough the front desk was staffed by one Emirates employee and one Qatar employee.

I didn't eat as I wanted to save room for the food on board which was sure to be better.

Logged into the internet and ran a speed test to amusing results.

Uhh, lol they should balance their network speeds a bit more.

When it was time to board I left a few min early to get some shots of the plane. Unfortunately the gate they parked it in made it hard to get a shot of it.

The boarding process wasn't exactly efficient. They had lines set up for each group but first proceeded to call each group to have them line up. Something like, "boarding group C is now allowed to line up." all while not boarding anyone. Passport checkers were all over the place and checked some passports twice.

Once we got on board however, the service was excellent. They said FAs from 20 countries with 19 languages. IFM or Senior Purser was from India and very nice when I met her.

A few views of the seat.

Snack basket. Or as the FA put it when introducing the Suite, "the calories."

Didn't even touch these the whole flight...

View parked at the gate.

How they keep you from removing it during takeoff and landing.

Arabic Date, I was offered coffee as well but turned it down. Don't like coffee.

No cell icon over TV.

We pushed back right on time and taxied to the runway for a smooth takeoff. It was funny watching the massive wingspan over the taxiways and the other planes compared to us.

On the runway.

I actually don't drink. Though I figured why not try something, so I ordered a glass of 2005 Dom.

Lets just say while I'm sure its a great champagne, its not for me...

Motorized window shades.

So, meal service. First the menu

The table before.

and after.

Had to start with the caviar.

Mmmm...

Then I went for the Indian chicken thing as I was craving some things with a spice to it.

and this yummy bread pudding for dessert.

Here's the wine menu for your reference.

Then took a quick look at the amenity kit and goodies.

PJs

Cloth Bag to hold everything.

And the all important bag.

Its a soft leather or pleather, I can't tell.

Then I took a look around the plane.

Night stars.

5 ppl in first including me.

Biz

Bar was staffed but empty of passengers. Except some kid running around.

Economy

Flight deck door.

Front stairs

First class bar

I might note that someone went to town on the Hennesy Paradis. When I took a pic of it in the beginning it was full. By the end of the flight there was just a little left in the bottle. No drunkards noted though...

After that a shower. It was quite an experience. I found it interesting they had 3 shower attendants on hand.

Floor temp control. Not obvious until you touch the screen.

Fruit plate waiting for me when I got out.

BTW: these little mints are awesome. Take em.

Then after a few TV shows including one where two British guys bike some brazil highway in the Amazon I hit the sack. for a bit... or at least that was the plan.

I awake to the landing messages and mentally smack my self for oversleeping. It was a comfy bed after all. lol. Too late for any food. Sigh. I figured I'd just eat in the lounge then.

So my first flight I ended up sleeping though. Hopefully I won't on the next.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Spent a little bit of time in Dubai. Saw this poor chap.

lol. Anyways, back to the airport.

Train to concourse A. Which is slow as molasses. It took nearly 10 min to show up.

A ride in a massive elevator.

Walk through the economy sections to the First class lounge above. (did have a look around first.)

Pics of the F lounge DXB:

Dizzy...

and sat down to some food. Other side of the lounge is a mirror image in the exact same build out.

sry don't know why its turned that way.

all of them apparently

the setup

Arugula salad, yum.

Duck breast. Was ok.

the good butter.

Yum dessert, apple with other things that taste like apple. winning combo.

After a massage, BTW they got rid of some options. Including the haircut.

Would you like a magazine?

Tried a few cheeses, not sure what most were. One I really liked. Some kind of mild brie with a softer cheese in the center.

That's it for now. I'm in the lounge typing away at this and board my next flight in a bit. BTW my last part may be slightly delayed. When I get to HKG work beckons and I'll type it up when i find the time.

Thx for staying tuned!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Wow! I wonder when they started offering Opus One 2007? Absolutely smashing!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat

And my suggestion is keep your opinions to yourself. For me part of the fun of travel is to find out things as I go, not to know everything about the trip before I go. I do not think your arrogance and rudeness is apprciated by anyone.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:54 pm
Heg

~ ~ ~ ~

Wow! That was like reading one of my old school reports .. I for one was enjoying the trip report.

Last edited by Heg; Aug 20, 2015 at 9:55 pm Reason: corrected spelling -for fear of reproach :-)
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Question about the spa service: OP, did you try it out? I was always of the opinion that F pax gets 30 mins of treatment and J pax gets 15 mins? Could they have changed it? Although I have been to the lounge as recently as Dec, the last time I used the spa was as an F pax, was about a year and a half ago. I received 30 mins of treatment then!

Nice pics, and good TR!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.