Originally Posted by PropWasher
Delete
Eh? What do you want deleted?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion, B.A. Silver, Virgin Atlantic Gold, C.X. Diamond
Originally Posted by happeemonkee
Hi louislitt

My VS Gold status was due to a BA Gold status match last year. Unfortunately I haven't been able to fit any VS flights into my plans and it is going to expire soon without me even trying out the club lounge for the first time Such a shame.

I did travel VS Upper a few years ago in the nose of a 747 and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Okay that makes sense, I did a similar thing with my Cathay Diamond. I hope that when you do finally get in that lounge, you enjoy it

Yeah I really wanted a seat in the nose but it was all booked up sadly

Kind Regards LL
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by origin
Great trip report.

Is the XC90 working well now??
Thank you Origin. Yes it is, we just got back from a trip to Geneva and it performed well.

You can find the beginnings of that TR here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...90-review.html

There are a couple of issues that have meant me being in touch with the design team in Gothenburg, Sweden to ensure that there is a worldwide fix put in place.

Anyhow hope you enjoy the next one as much as you enjoyed this one. Will be glad to answer any more queries.

Kind Regards LL
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by louislitt
Eh? What do you want deleted?
They typed something and deleted it or a duplicate post. Instead of leaving a blank post te usual form is to state 'deleted'.

Anyway, nice TR, i am a OW fan. But been tempted to try vs upper class. Not sure i like looking out the aisle from your pics though, i'd keep seeing movemt from other's legs/feet and that would annoy me! I also suspect id sit at the bar the entire flight...... Mia f concourse is unbelievably depressing. I have flown cayman airways from there i think before their move to e. Concourse C back in the day was worse. Long thin corridor of doom with a tiny bar at the start. Bar tender was friendly. Such things of course won't concern you...yet! Been a few years since BA left from there, they have used E for quite a while now. Can't recall when it moved as i wasn't flying ba back then.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM
Great trip report!

A couple of points from a local.

1. You will pay $1.00-$2.00/gallon more in fuel in California. That will make up for the difference in "lack" of tolls quite quickly. But you're right, they do stink. I pay $200/month in tolls, and it's no fun.

2. I noticed in most of the driving pictures that your father was camped in the left lane. The left lane is for passing only. Doesn't matter how fast you are going, there is always someone going faster, especially on the turnpike where 90 mph can be on the low end of the speed spectrum. I hate having to spend my whole life in Florida passing rental cars and cars with Georgia/NY/NJ plates in the right line.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcm9000
They typed something and deleted it or a duplicate post. Instead of leaving a blank post te usual form is to state 'deleted'.

Anyway, nice TR, i am a OW fan. But been tempted to try vs upper class. Not sure i like looking out the aisle from your pics though, i'd keep seeing movemt from other's legs/feet and that would annoy me! I also suspect id sit at the bar the entire flight...... Mia f concourse is unbelievably depressing. I have flown cayman airways from there i think before their move to e. Concourse C back in the day was worse. Long thin corridor of doom with a tiny bar at the start. Bar tender was friendly. Such things of course won't concern you...yet! Been a few years since BA left from there, they have used E for quite a while now. Can't recall when it moved as i wasn't flying ba back then.
Yeah that is a downside that my sister didn't like. We flew BA Club on the same route exactly one week later and Concourse E isn't that nice either. The OneWorld lounge has slightly better choice but is still depressing. I wanted to get to the Domestic Concourse as all the restaurants and shops are there

Haha I am glad that you took not of my age re. the bar! I spent quite a bit of the flight at the bar but I was the only one and I had to mix my own drinks. Probably better during day flights.

Hope you enjoy the next trip report

Kind Regards LL

Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bsagator
Great trip report!

A couple of points from a local.

1. You will pay $1.00-$2.00/gallon more in fuel in California. That will make up for the difference in "lack" of tolls quite quickly. But you're right, they do stink. I pay $200/month in tolls, and it's no fun.

2. I noticed in most of the driving pictures that your father was camped in the left lane. The left lane is for passing only. Doesn't matter how fast you are going, there is always someone going faster, especially on the turnpike where 90 mph can be on the low end of the speed spectrum. I hate having to spend my whole life in Florida passing rental cars and cars with Georgia/NY/NJ plates in the right line.
Very true! I noticed that. I paid $160 on tolls driving through France last weekend and I missed Orlando's tolls.

Re. your other point, it is something that I didn't realise. Lesson learnt.

Hope you enjoy my other trip reports.

Kind Regards LL
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
When you say domestic terminal do you mean terminal D, AAs terminal? There is an airside corridor between E and D; i use it all time to hit shulas for my favourite beer at d17 or wherever it is but the Ba flights still go from E (last time i flew) and i wander back and forth and lounge hop to the admirals clubs as well for no reason! They were going to move all ow to D, but if i recall it is already to busy with US air. E will shut one day, who knows when (i havent checked the AA board for a while).
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcm9000
When you say domestic terminal do you mean terminal D, AAs terminal? There is an airside corridor between E and D; i use it all time to hit shulas for my favourite beer at d17 or wherever it is but the Ba flights still go from E (last time i flew) and i wander back and forth and lounge hop to the admirals clubs as well for no reason! They were going to move all ow to D, but if i recall it is already to busy with US air. E will shut one day, who knows when (i havent checked the AA board for a while).
Yes I mean Terminal D. But there sadly isn't one between D and F which sucks otherwise I would have done it.

I hope the entire airport is knocked down and rebuilt into something that is like TBIT. If that happens, I probably wouldn't mind flying through MIA again, otherwise I would try and avoid it.

Haha the only board I am a part of on this website is the TR forum, don't really venture elsewhere.

Kind Regards LL
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANstar
Nice report thus far! Keep up the good work.

Just a few things - the LHR 747's start leaving in September this year and will actually be all gone by April 2016.
The LGW 747's still have the side bin stowages... I believe the LHR ones didn't have it as that are used to have the upper class seats installed.

As for going downstairs to economy you can do this if you ask - you just cant go downstairs and sit at the bar
Whoops I thought I answered this, my apologies ANstar!

Apparently it will now be February

Yes they did and they were removed, all of the Upstairs used to be Upper. But they took it out after there was no room for the bar, which they had to keep downstairs anyways.

I did ask and they wouldn't let me Ah well.

Hope you enjoyed the rest ANstar!

Kind Regards LL
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:42 pm

After landing, having watched Miami Airport’s tv show and hearing from online forums, I knew immigration and car rental collection was going to be hell.

I made sure, as previously mentioned, that everybody had all their stuff ready and after we pulled up at the gate we were off touching down into Miami Airport for the first time.

Waiting to deplane:

Right before we left the Chief Purser made the announcement that our baggage would be on Carousel 5.

HSBC have replaced Accenture in MIA:

We marched up esclators and walked for about 10-15 minutes weaving in and out of passengers and tourists walking and slow paces.

We eventually arrived at the immigration hall which was packed full of people. Strangely the line for American and Canadian citizens was longer than the actual line for International Citizens.

It got a bit confusing here as there was a sign for Visitors but also a sign for ESTA holders that went two different ways. I went towards ESTA, hoping that I was heading to the right line. Quite thankfully the line was short and we were out in about 40 minutes and on our way to baggage reclaim.

We arrived to an incredibly busy baggage counter and my sister and I went off to grab the luggage whilst the parents went to grab the trolleys.

I got my suitcase and it was pretty heavily marked but there was no visible damage ( not that I had time to look!) The trolleys at MIA are $5 which is unrefundable, which when you need 5 begins to get ridiculous. We went through customs and out took the lift to get to the MIA mover.

As I got into the lift after about 1hr-20 minutes after landing, I realised there was a tear on the side of my suitcase. I thought it was pretty replaceable and after telling my tired and slightly irked father that there was a tear was told it was easily replaceable. (It was not but more on that later).

After walking another 10 minutes we arrived at the MIA mover. We climbed onboard and arrived 4 minutes later.

We rented our car from Alamo (mistake- more on that in the next statement) after we left it too late to use our Avios points to book via Avis, which is our standard car rental company.

We arrived to a short-line and after a 10 minute wait we took the lift down to the Avios/National level and after giving our rental agreement to the gents waiting we were told that there was another 15 minute wait for a Tahoe, the car we booked.

After standing in 35 degree heat, 15 minutes later a 2015 model Tahoe arrived.

Dad put the luggage in and I got connected to Bluetooth and programmed the address.

Our route to our home is displayed below and our ETA was 23:07, which was shaved down to 22:44.

We pulled out of the lot and after a smooth ride down the Florida Turnpike at 80mph sailed into Orlando.

The sun sets as we pull out of Miami:

It in typical Florida style it began to rain:

Nearly home:

About 10 minutes out, I ordered Dominos Pizza to collect.

We grabbed the Pizza and with this detour arrived home for 23:10.

You've done well Tahoe:

__________________________________________________ __________
The following morning I unpacked my suitcase and looked further at the damage. I tweeted Virign that evening as I waited at Alamo and they told me to go back to the baggage desk. I of course didn’t have that time and they politely told me to p*iss off and go and claim from my insurance.

Anyhow I went looking for the model of my suitcase and after calling my Uncle back home, who has experienced many a busted suitcase, I opened the inner-lining and the f***ers had snapped through the metal bars

And thus began the long-winded American Express insurance claim which has already left me losing out of 4hrs (and counting) of my time.

I will inform you of the results as I get them.

Next up: Chevrolet Tahoe 2015 review

I am enjoying your report. BTW I had my Swiss Army Victorinox Suitcase zipper broken and a tear. I was able to fix it at a local luggage shop(in California) for $45 and one week. Because they forgot to fix the tear I negotiated for them to weatherize and paint any spots. I basically got a brand new suitcase.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danielonn
I am enjoying your report. BTW I had my Swiss Army Victorinox Suitcase zipper broken and a tear. I was able to fix it at a local luggage shop(in California) for $45 and one week. Because they forgot to fix the tear I negotiated for them to weatherize and paint any spots. I basically got a brand new suitcase.
Decent! I took my Samsonite to a place in the UK and they were unable to find the parts to fix the inside trolley. So it is unbearable.

Ah well. Good to know for the future.

Kind Regards LL
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Miami Airport:

I didn't like Miami. Security was fine but immigration was a pain. Baggage handling is poor and the lounges and departures area isn't brilliant.

It lacks heavily.

Stars (out of five): 2/5
Sorry, just reading your trip report today..

Unfortunately Virgin Atlantic uses Concourse F which is over 30 years old and hasn't been upgraded as Concourse D or newly constructed in the last 10 years as Concourses H & J. It's scheduled in the next round of renovation upgrades starting in 2020. Concourse E is currently undergoing renovation and when completed, the OW alliance members will move from H & J to E, and *A will move to J, ST to H. AA's influence at MIA...
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Sorry, just reading your trip report today..

Unfortunately Virgin Atlantic uses Concourse F which is over 30 years old and hasn't been upgraded as Concourse D or newly constructed in the last 10 years as Concourses H & J. It's scheduled in the next round of renovation upgrades starting in 2020. Concourse E is currently undergoing renovation and when completed, the OW alliance members will move from H & J to E, and *A will move to J, ST to H. AA's influence at MIA...
No worries, it was a surprise to see my TR pop up on the front page

Even as I sit here two months later, Concourse F leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, although that might have been the lemon head sweets I have just consumed... lets just say for arguments sake it was Concourse F.

I would call for it to happen sooner because to be quite frank, having to use that concourse for the next 5 years sound ridiculous. It is incredibly dated and really dark and dingy!

Yeah I suspect AA have had a lot to do with that!

Kind Regards LL
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:19 pm
ATQ

Programs: VS Silver, Emirates Gold, Shangri-La Jade
Smile

Originally Posted by Glensea
Thanks very much! You write brilliantly: One of the best trip reports I've read since I discovered this site a good number of years ago.
+1 for this! Really enjoyed your writing style and your witty sense of humour!

I came across your trip report on google and it has come quite handy, I am looking to make a similar journey with my partner this summer! Although we will probably spend the night in MIA before driving up. Wont be in anything as big as a Tahoe though.

When I was 17, writing trip reports wasn't something that I hadn't even considered but kudos to you for yours, they are entertaining!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.