Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My first ever trip report - Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong. Oh My!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first ever trip report - Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong. Oh My!

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Thank-you for putting the effort into this trip report, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Your photos of Australia are impressive but those from New Zealand are truly breath-taking!

You didn't seem to have much luck with your flights. None of them were anything to write home about!
Old May 25, 2015, 6:42 pm

Wow, simply sensational photos of NZ! It was high on my list before reading your report, but now it's at the top. In fact, I may have to swap a couple of trips already booked around so I can get there sooner.

Thanks for taking the time to share so many helpful details.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Travel K
I loved all the pictures. I was just in New Zealand and fell in love. I am plotting my return. Australia is high on the must see list too.
Fell in love with something or someone there? The place keeps calling you back again and again. I love the term plotting your return .. I completely understand. . Returning again in February.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smit0847
Great TR - those NZ scenic photos are stunning.

You sure make a mess in some of those hotel rooms!
Thanks. I like to keep housekeeping in a job We also tend to pack in such a fashion that requires every single item to be removed and strewn across the floor before you locate the item you actually required. And because I'm still a TR newb, it didn't occur to me to take the photos before.

Originally Posted by agp423
The IC HK charged me for using their phone to make local calls :/
Odd. I definitely wasn't charged and it was pretty clear both on the handset itself and in the literature that accompanied it that local calls were free. And I did use it a couple of times without charge.

Originally Posted by ROCruiser
Incredible photos, especially the ones of the glacier! Thanks for sharing.
I would rather go hungry than having a meal in a restaurant with mice running around though.
What's strange is that the meal in Thala Beach nature reserve was also interrupted by wildlife. The difference being that was an outside/inside venue and part of the charm. The Hotel in Yulara wasn't set up this way (there were restaurants on the property that were) and as such it came across really badly. It didn't help that the food was really pretty woeful. I was tempted to try and catch the mice and cook them instead but it was far too hot

Originally Posted by CMK10
Great report, especially for a first time report. It's hard for me to single out what i liked best but I really enjoyed your empty road pictures. Also, you and your ladyfriend are very brave to do the Bridge Walk!

Oh and is it just me or does it look like a body was dragged across your Ayers Rock hotel floor leaving a sizeable blood trail?
The Bridge Walk was actually fine. You're tethered the entire time and move pretty slowly. Apart from one tight ladder there are also steps throughout. We were lucky though as the weather was perfect. I've seen photos of people up there in really bad weather, that would not be pleasant at all.

And yes, that's one of the oddest choices of decor I've ever seen, especially given all the warning of dangerous wild animals that greet you in the airport!

Originally Posted by fiddlerkrt
Thank-you for putting the effort into this trip report, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Your photos of Australia are impressive but those from New Zealand are truly breath-taking!

You didn't seem to have much luck with your flights. None of them were anything to write home about!
Thank you. The flights were more of a means then an end on this trip, especially with such short domestic hops. I do have a pretty spectacular video of taking off from Queenstown though that I'll have to post.

I'd definitely recommend New Zealand, it's an incredible place. Just be patient with the weather though as it's very changeable at all times of year (but especially on the shoulder seasons). It's also a bit like Iceland in that you see some truly amazing sights then drive ten minutes and see something even more amazing, and then drive ten more minutes and get blown away again, then drive ten more minutes... and you repeat this until you reach Milford Sound.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:57 pm

Nice pictures!

And this compliment is coming from one who is often asked to judge photo contests.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Qantas FF
Brilliant Trip Report !

Excellent Pictures - Loved reading it all and seeing home through your eyes

Thanks & Cheers,
Old May 30, 2015, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanderer35
Nice pictures!

And this compliment is coming from one who is often asked to judge photo contests.
Thank you. I can only assume you're referring to the cheese and cracker photo!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Looked like a fantastic trip.

How was the drive between Queenstown and Milford Sound, pretty easy to navigate? Also did Hertz have an option for GPS?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cshel
Looked like a fantastic trip.

How was the drive between Queenstown and Milford Sound, pretty easy to navigate? Also did Hertz have an option for GPS?
It's not too bad. There's only about four turnings really. It's a long drive, and you couldn't round-trip it in a day. Be careful though, I got fined for speeding on that drive for doing 111kph in a 100kph area. In the UK, the police wouldn't bother you for that small an indiscretion so I was surprised to say the least. I would guess that they target the many tourists driving the route. The trip does take in a fair few different types of environment. There's some desert like areas, some towns, you drive along at least two lakes and once you go through the tunnel you're driving in mountains, so it's quite entertaining. You can fly from Queenstown if you're in a rush, and that can be done in a day.

Yes Hertz had a sat nav available to rent, which we had. We also had our phones, but there's little service.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:24 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Great trip report, great pictures and a great read. I miss living in Australia from reading this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.