Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My first ever trip report - Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong. Oh My!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first ever trip report - Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong. Oh My!

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by essjay2009
I can't believe no one looked at the cracker to cheese ratio and decided it was ridiculous. And sure'y if they wanted to reduce costs cutting the cheese would have been the way to go?! It's one of the most bizarre meals I've been served.
I'd say the cheese is supplied under an very favorable deal, just like with the wine where the suppliers want to get it on board.

But hey this is apparently the same full service airline that doesn't include checked bags, food & drinks on its International flights under 10 hours. You have to purchase as an extra. So anything is possible http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/tasma...conomy-service
Old May 9, 2015, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I'd say the cheese is supplied under an very favorable deal, just like with the wine where the suppliers want to get it on board.

But hey this is apparently the same full service airline that doesn't include checked bags, food & drinks on its International flights under 10 hours. You have to purchase as an extra. So anything is possible http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/tasma...conomy-service
That wouldn't surprise me. I've flown long haul with the before (HKG -AKL & AKL - SFO) and vowed never to fly long haul with them again. The food was awful and the plane's interior was very worn and dirty. They have some innovative products but don't give the impression of being a tier 1 flag carrier with their penny pinching.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Great report and amazing photos. It brought back a lot of memories for me. New Zealand's south island is absolutely stunning.

It didn't sound like you were too impressed though, lots of 'meh' .
Old May 12, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matthandy
Great report and amazing photos. It brought back a lot of memories for me. New Zealand's south island is absolutely stunning.

It didn't sound like you were too impressed though, lots of 'meh' .
Thanks. There were a couple of things that were disappointing (in particular the car hire situation), but overall it was a very enjoyable trip. I've been the New Zealand and Hong Kong previously, so I don't think subsequent visits can live up to the excitement of going the first time!
Old May 14, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Great TR - those NZ scenic photos are stunning.

You sure make a mess in some of those hotel rooms!
Old May 14, 2015, 5:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
The IC HK charged me for using their phone to make local calls :/
Old May 14, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
A wonderful first trip report, and thank you for the great photos! Mrs. AKDan was reading over my shoulder and informed me we will be going to a few of these places.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by essjay2009
Thanks. There were a couple of things that were disappointing (in particular the car hire situation), but overall it was a very enjoyable trip. I've been the New Zealand and Hong Kong previously, so I don't think subsequent visits can live up to the excitement of going the first time!
New Zealand is exciting every time. We are planning the 9th trip and we've been just as exited for each one.
Old May 17, 2015, 12:10 pm

Great first report, hopefully the first of many! Thanks for sharing a part of the globe I suspect it'll be a long time before I can visit. I shall try to avoid hotels with 'crime scene' decor though...
Old May 17, 2015, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Great report, written with fine dry humour! That blood carpet 'killed' me!
Old May 17, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Priority Club Platinum, AA, USAir, ANA,
Incredible photos, especially the ones of the glacier! Thanks for sharing.
I would rather go hungry than having a meal in a restaurant with mice running around though.
Old May 22, 2015, 9:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Great report, especially for a first time report. It's hard for me to single out what i liked best but I really enjoyed your empty road pictures. Also, you and your ladyfriend are very brave to do the Bridge Walk!

Oh and is it just me or does it look like a body was dragged across your Ayers Rock hotel floor leaving a sizeable blood trail?
Old May 24, 2015, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Fantastic trip report. Thanks for posting. I particularly loved the Aussie bits.
Old May 24, 2015, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by CMK10
Oh and is it just me or does it look like a body was dragged across your Ayers Rock hotel floor leaving a sizeable blood trail?
I thought that too. It was very off putting.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
I loved all the pictures. I was just in New Zealand and fell in love. I am plotting my return. Australia is high on the must see list too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.