Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Maybe East or Maybe West (TATL - AC, EI, BA Y)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Index
Background + Booking
Air Canada YYZ-LHR (AC858)
Aer Lingus LHR-BHD (EI035)
British Airways BHD-LHR (BA1025)
Air Canada LHR-YYC (AC853)
Conclusion

Thank you for taking the time to read this writeup. This is my second trip report, and I am looking forward to feedback and constructive criticism. All photos were taken with my Kodak point-and-shoot and iPhone 4S, and as such I would like to apologize in advance for any quality deficiencies. I hope you enjoy this report!

Background

Before moving to Canada with my family, I lived in Northern Ireland. All of my relatives still reside throughout Northern Ireland, necessitating trips back to visit them. This is one such example, with this trip likely being my last trip back for a few years due to my university commitments.

Booking

I booked this trip in mid-February, after receiving my university exam schedule for the term. The basic framework of my trip involved flying from Toronto to Ireland, and from Ireland to Calgary. The specifics were flexible, and two routings with Air Canada and British Airways stood out. Both routed me YYZ-LHR-BHD-LHR-YYC, and the price and timings for both were approximately equal. Ultimately, I selected Air Canada for two reasons. First, I would be able to collect Aeroplan miles with the AC routing, and the outbound to Heathrow would let me experience AC’s new Boeing 787 for the first time. I completed the booking process through Air Canada’s website, which was straightforward and user-friendly.

Route map

Last edited by B1900; May 9, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Pre-Flight

I had my final university exam the morning of my departure, but I was able to check-in online beforehand, inputting my passport, baggage, and seat information. The day of my departure was spent writing my exam, doing laundry, packing up my dorm room, and saying my final goodbyes to my classmates. Incidentally, I awoke to fresh snowfall on the day of my departure – I never thought I would say that I would be looking forward to the Irish weather, but it was the case!

I elected to carpool with two other university students to Toronto Pearson International Airport, with the trip taking approximately an hour and a half, depositing me at Terminal 1. Tonight was apparently the night when the kiosk elected not to process my booking, necessitating that I join the bustling international check-in line. I spent approximately half an hour in line, before eventually having my bag tagged through to Belfast. The E gate security line was nonexistent however, and I was processed within five minutes. The total time from drop-off to gate E71 was just about an hour on the dot. I filled the three hours before boarding by spotting, reading, and simply unwinding after the exam period.

Boarding began on time, and I boarded in Zone 5. The concept of zone boarding still eludes many it seems; while the gate agents were diligent in trying to enforce the structure of the system, their efforts were hindered by new passengers who would arrive and try to board immediately. Despite the minor chaos, I was soon onboard.

C-GHPX, our Boeing 787-8 for the transatlantic journey

Air Canada - AC858

Route: YYZ-LHR
STD: 2310 (EST)
ATD: 2307 (EST)
STA: 1105 (GMT)
ATA: 1133 (GMT)
Scheduled Flight Length: 6h55m
Actual Flight Length: 7h26m
Seat / Class: 22A, Tango
Aircraft type: Boeing 787-8
Aircraft registration: C-GHPX

After stowing my jacket in the overhead bin, I settled into my seat and began to take in my surroundings. My first impressions of the 787 were very positive! This was Air Canada’s fifth 787, registered in October 2014 making it only 7 months old with the airline. The cabin had a light, open feel, despite the passengers crowding the aisle. The seat pitch, while nothing special, was adequate for this 7-hour flight. Pillows and blankets were present at every seat. I also took the opportunity to fiddle with the inflight entertainment system a bit, setting the map to the high detail diagram of Pearson so I could follow the taxi. Boarding was completed on-time, with pushback occurring a few minutes ahead of schedule.

Pushing back from Terminal 1

The cabin lights were dimmed as we began our taxi out to Runway 23, during which the safety video was shown. Holding short for a departing Learjet, we soon began our roll down the runway, which leads me to another point about the Dreamliner – it truly is a very quiet aircraft! While the spool-up was audible, it was much less loud than a 767 or A330, much to my delight. We turned out over Lake Ontario, a magnificent view of Toronto presented before we slipped above the broken cloud layer.

Two options were listed on the menu for the first meal service in economy, a choice of Caesar chicken or beef stroganoff. The beef stroganoff listing was apparently an error though, as the beef option was actually shepherd’s pie. The meal service began as we were crossing over Quebec, with each tray coming with bread, a cabbage/corn salad, a small brownie, a bottle of water, and the entrée. I opted for the chicken, which was served with vegetables and potatoes. While adequate, the meal wasn’t spectacular by any stretch. The cabbage and bread roll were both quite hard, and the vegetables were a touch overcooked. The chicken was adequately tasty, and the brownie went down well. I finished off the meal with a cup of tea, the overall experience being about what I expected for an economy meal service, though falling short of KLM’s transatlantic economy offerings.

The Caesar chicken option

In general, Air Canada’s IFE stands out as being a solid system in my opinion, this flight being no exception. The new screens installed on the 787 are of a good size, and their touch functionality is very responsive. I watched an episode of The Mentalist before dinner, followed by Interstellar and two episodes of M*A*S*H. I think I even managed to catch an hour or two of sleep, which is no small victory as I struggle to rest while travelling. As the sun began to rise over the Atlantic around 0230 (EST), I opted to just watch the world go by through the 787’s very large windows.

Sunrise over the North Atlantic

The 787's beautiful wing

In between Iceland and Ireland, the continental breakfast service began. Once again, a discrepancy existed between the menu and what was offered, the listed blueberry muffin replaced with banana bread. Surprisingly, the banana bread was moist, tasty, and quite sufficient given the circumstances of the flight. I am a big advocate for solid breakfasts, and would normally cringe at the thought of just banana bread for breakfast. However, as we had finished dinner only 5 hours earlier, this was perfectly sufficient for me, and it kept me going until I arrived at Heathrow.

The continental breakfast

The crew on this flight were pleasant and proactive, yet I wouldn’t characterize them as overly friendly. They frequently toured the cabin offering water and cleaning up garbage, yet there was just a faint coolness to their personalities that wasn’t overcome. However, given the lateness of the flight, I wasn’t too worried.

Entering English airspace over an overcast sky

Our descent from 41,000’ began over the Irish Sea, although we weren’t able to proceed directly into Heathrow. We entered a holding pattern to the north of the airport for 4 laps, before again proceeding southeast to line up with Runway 27R. We made a firm touchdown, and taxied over to Terminal 2 for a slightly delayed arrival time of 1133. I stayed back as my fellow passengers deplaned, as I wanted to head up to the flight deck to see the front end of this magnificent airliner – it was equally impressive!

On short final for Runway 27R

Touching down by Terminal 2

The forward economy cabin

The flight deck
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, AA Gold
Off to a solid start! I always appreciate the Y trip reports to decide whether it's worth paying a bit more sometimes.

Looking forward to the rest of your journey.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

London Heathrow Airport

Having docked at the B gates (B46), a very long trek was required to reach the customs area. After proceeding through the security checkpoint and having my laptop swabbed for explosives, I joined the empty immigration line. The border agent was a rather grumpy individual who did not seem to like the details of my trip. After a few minutes of being hassled, my passport was stamped and I was able to proceed, entering London Heathrow’s Terminal 2, the newly opened Queen’s Terminal.

Upon entering the central area of the terminal, I was struck by how good of a job had been done in the construction process. The atmosphere felt open and airy, despite the crowds of travellers present at around noon. After picking up a sandwich for lunch from WHSmith (side note, I’m a huge fan of the packaged sandwiches sold in British supermarkets), I found a spot to watch the steady flow of departures off of 27L. Highlights included multiple British Airways and Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747s, an Aeroflot A330, a Qatar Airways A380, and one of the British Airways golden dove jets.

A Virgin Atlantic 787-9 on the roll

My first A380!

Two A321s

The departure gate, A23, was displayed at 1400, and I made my way down to join the crowd assembling for the flight to Belfast. I’m slightly uncertain as to what the boarding process was; boarding was called for priority passengers and certain rows, yet the structure quickly devolved as everyone joined the queue as each saw fit. Nonetheless, boarding opened a few minutes early at 1420 and went smoothly enough. Apparently I was sharing the line with somebody famous; multiple passengers were going up to a gentleman asking for pictures with him, though I can’t say I know who it was.

My aircraft, seen from the jetway

Aer Lingus - EI035

Route: LHR-BHD
STD: 1450 (GMT)
ATD: 1455 (GMT)
STA: 1610 (GMT)
ATA: 1603 (GMT)
Scheduled Flight Length: 1h20m
Actual Flight Length: 1h08m
Seat / Class: 10F, Economy
Aircraft type: Airbus A319
Aircraft registration: EI-EPR

After boarding the A319, I made my way to 10F, an exit row seat. The load was quite full on this short hop, I would estimate approximately 95% of the seats were filled. Boarding was completed at 1442, yet we were delayed from pushing back due to a runway switch. We ended up departing at 1455, the chipper crew conducting a manual safety demonstration as we taxied out. We taxied over to 27R, taking position ahead of a holding British Airways 747 and Vietnam Airlines 777. The power was brought up, and soon we were climbing out over the English cities and countryside below.

Now relegated to the past, a magnificent British Airways Concorde

Taking position ahead of a Speedbird 747-400

Rotate!

We entered an overcast layer a few minutes into the climb, which was present below us for the entire duration of our cruise at 32,000’. After leveling off, the cabin crew began conducting the buy on board service, known as BIA. Drinks, snacks, and sandwiches were offered, and from what I observed the flight attendants were seeing quite a healthy level of sales. The legroom in the exit row is excellent, and I was content simply to stretch out and watch the cloud deck slip by us below. Our pilots were quite proactive with communications, conducting thorough announcements on the ground (twice) and as we passed over Manchester.

More than adequate legroom in the exit row

No inflight entertainment was offered on this aircraft besides Aer Lingus’ magazine and the view outside, though I did manage to sleep for a few minutes before we started our descent into Belfast. The cabin crew collected any trash that remained as we made our way down from our cruising altitude. We popped out of the clouds over the water, flying straight in on our approach for Runway 04. The pilots made a firm landing, quickly decelerating as we passed by Bombardier’s manufacturing facility. Clearing the runway, we taxied by two Flybe aircraft before pulling in to our stand. Deplaning was completed through two staircases, the fresh air a nice change after not having been outside since I entered Terminal 1 in Toronto.

Descending as the docklands come into view

Pulling in to our stand

EI-EPR, seen after deplaning

Belfast (George Best) Airport

This was my first time flying into BHD, and while it contrasted starkly with Heathrow’s T2 in terms of fanciness and details, it was functional and easy to navigate. Bags were out on the carousel within five to ten minutes, and I was on my way shortly after I picked up a coffee to recharge with from Costa.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Pre-Flight

The trip to BHD started early, and I was at the airport approximately three hours prior to the scheduled departure time. A quick stop to Costa was called for, in order to pick up an Americano and a granola bar prior to check-in. Unfortunately, Belfast isn’t one of the airports that Air Canada supports with their web check-in system, necessitating that I stop by the British Airways counter. There was no line when I arrived, as the prior BA1423 service had just departed, and the agent was able to check my bag through to Calgary and issue me my boarding passes.

The airport, seen the day prior

Security was a painless affair, and soon enough I was airside. The post-security options are actually quite good considering the size of the airport, and I opted to stop by O’Briens for eggs and toast in order to recharge before my flight. The departure area was quite busy this Saturday morning, as many people were evidently flying out to football (soccer) games, most in varying stages of intoxication it seemed.

British Airways utilizes the sole jetway equipped gate, located at Door A (Gate 04). I stopped by to look into switching my aisle seat for a window seat, though the rather grumpy gate agent shot down the idea. Boarding began on-time, and I made my way onboard among the last few passengers.

G-MIDT seen from the departure area

British Airways - BA1425

Route: BHD-LHR
STD: 1040 (GMT)
ATD: 1030 (GMT)
STA: 1200 (GMT)
ATA: 1155 (GMT)
Scheduled Flight Length: 1h20m
Actual Flight Length: 1h05m
Seat / Class: 16D > 23F, UK Domestic
Aircraft type: Airbus A320
Aircraft registration: G-MIDT

The flight wasn’t full, I estimate around 60% of the seats were occupied. I made my way to 16D, the window seat unfortunately already occupied. I did take a few moments to glance around the cabin, and spotted numerous empty rows that I planned to move to after takeoff. We pushed back slightly early, and the cabin crew completed the safety demonstration as we taxied out for Runway 04. After holding short for a departing Flybe Q400, we lined up and stopped on the runway. The power was brought up with the brakes applied, our roll commencing with the release of the brakes. Our climb was slightly turbulent, and any views were quickly obscured by a (typical) overcast layer.

The view for the majority of the flight

I decided to switch seats when the seatbelt sign was turned off, moving back to the window seat of the empty row 23. No inflight entertainment is offered on these shorthaul domestic flights, except for British Airways’ magazine. A beverage and snack service was offered on this mid-morning flight, the snack being a choice of crisps or shortbread. Although I wasn’t hungry, I was disappointed to watch as my row was skipped during the service. A red flag for British Airways, though I didn’t feel the need to follow up given the relatively minor nature of the problem.

Legroom on the A320

I settled for watching the clouds go by as I normally do on flights of such short durations, accompanied by U2 on my iPhone. The time zipped by, and it wasn’t long before we started our descent into London Heathrow Airport. The first officer came on to the intercom, announcing a ten-minute delay due to air traffic control slotting us into a holding pattern. We re-entered the clouds after recommencing our descent, and the countryside and towns of England were spread out below as we lined up for Runway 09L.

Holding north of Heathrow over the English countryside

On short final for 09L, passing by Terminal 5

Sitting on the right side of the aircraft was definitely the correct choice, as a great view of Terminal 5 was present on short final. Our A320 made a firm touch down, followed shortly by a Delta 767, an Air India 787, and many other airliners. Despite arriving in Heathrow early (~1145 GMT), our gate was still occupied meaning that we had to hold position on a taxiway. We were underway again shortly, and were able to deplane after connecting to the boarding bridge at gate A6.

Watching the traffic on final

Docked at A6

One last shot!
Old May 9, 2015, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

London Heathrow Airport

Disembarking amongst the last passengers off of BA1425, I was greeted by the magnificent structure that is Terminal 5. I’ve spent a fair amount of time admiring the building online, but this was my first time seeing it in person. The terminal was welcoming and modern, and it felt like a world-class travel facility. However, I wouldn’t be spending much time in it as I planned to head over to Terminal 2 where my Air Canada flight would depart from. The inter-terminal flight connection process was straightforward, with the walk to the transfer buses aided by large, purple signs. Upon reaching the ground floor, I had a five minute wait until the Terminal 2 / Terminal 1 bus pulled up. Just shy of ten passengers and workers boarded, with ample space to spread out for the fifteen-minute drive. We passed by countless British Airways airliners preparing for their voyages, before slipping underground into Heathrow’s tunnel network. Shortly after emerging back to the surface, we pulled up to Terminal 2.

The view from the Terminal 5 bus facility

After clearing security, I was once again entering the central area of The Queen’s Terminal. I had about four hours until my transatlantic flight would depart, during which I enjoyed some more aircraft spotting, had a light lunch from WHSmith, and walked almost all of Terminal 2 and Terminal 1. I didn’t find Terminal 1 particularly welcoming, the facility felt cramped and closed off when compared to Terminal 2 and 5.

An Air New Zealand Boeing 777-300ER

A familiar sight

Arriving from Istanbul, a Turkish Airlines A330

C-FCAB, the 767 operating AC853, being towed to the gate

Boarding took place from B38, commencing by zones at 1525. I boarded in Zone 3, entering as one of the first passengers in the economy section. Immigration cards were handed out at the door, which I filled out while settling in.

Air Canada - AC853

Route: LHR-YYC
STD: 1615 (GMT)
ATD: 1630 (GMT)
STA: 1835 (MST)
ATA: 1850 (MST)
Scheduled Flight Length: 9h20m
Actual Flight Length: 9h20m
Seat / Class: 33K, Tango
Aircraft type: Boeing 767-300
Aircraft registration: C-FCAB

Today’s flight was quite full, I’d estimate the load was around 85% with a high proportion of the passengers connecting from India. The crew were proactively working the aisles helping passengers stow their belongings, but our departure would suffer a twofold delay. First, a representative from Thales came onboard to troubleshoot a glitch with the IFE. Second, the baggage loading process was held up by a few missing bags. All in all, our pushback was delayed fifteen minutes. Our departure runway was 09R, although we had to hold short for other departing aircraft ahead of us in the queue. We took position at 1650, our loaded 767 slipping the bonds of the earth as we powered off into the skies above Hounslow.

Ready to go on 09R

Airborne

As the views outside disappeared in the cloud, I began to examine the cabin of this 1988 Boeing 767. While the aircraft took part in Air Canada’s Project XM in 2006-2007, it was beginning to feel a bit dated, especially after having flown on the 787-8. While mood lighting was utilized, the fixtures and overhead bins just had a more classic feel. The seat pitch was adequate, although the view from the window was hampered by marks of dirt.

The legroom shot

As we cruised out towards Ireland and the North Atlantic, the scent of dinner began to waft through the cabin. The crew appeared to be struggling with the high number of special meals, as numerous passengers who had ordered them had switched seats after take-off. Each aisle in economy was covered by a meal cart followed by the beverage cart, starting from the front and working backwards. I opted for the pasta, which was served with a vegetable-feta sauce. Each meal was accompanied by a quinoa salad, a soft bread roll, a bottle of water, and a cookie for dessert. Everything served tasted excellent, the pasta especially so, the picture doesn’t do the meal justice – trust me. I had a cup of coffee to accompany my dessert, with the meal service completed by 1815.

Tonight’s dinner – very tasty!

After dinner was cleared away, I began to explore the IFE system. My unit was being a bit bothersome, as its touch sensitivity and accuracy were lacking. Air Canada always satisfies me with the choices they offer; throughout the flight I watched The King’s Speech, American Sniper, and an episode of The Big Bang Theory. I also flipped through the enRoute magazine, completing the Sudoku puzzle.

However, no movie or television show could compare to the view unfolding outside. I always enjoy these westbound transatlantic journeys, as the splendour of Iceland and Greenland is sight that I never tire of. The images I took fail to adequately represent the beauty that was below, but I’ll add a few anyways.

The crew passed through the aisles frequently offering water, and midway through the flight a snack (pretzels) and beverage service was conducted. As we entered Alberta over Cold Lake, the final meal service started. Hot chicken or vegetable pastries were offered, along with a beverage run. I chose the chicken fajita version, which, although not as good as the pasta earlier in the flight, tided me over.

Pre-arrival snack

Our approach into Calgary was set up for Runway 35R, the longest runway in Canada. The airport came into view as we flew parallel to it, heading southbound on the right downwind. The familiar sights of Calgary were welcoming, and it wasn’t long before we turned 180 degrees to begin our final approach. We made a firm landing, decelerating as we taxied off past the International Facilities Project. The symphony of seat belts began as we docked at gate 35; the ramp appeared to be strangely empty when compared to the bustle of LHR.

The International Facilities Project, set to open in 2016

The trek to customs followed disembarkation, and when I arrived the line was already quite deep. I ended up waiting around 25 minutes, as we were accompanied by the passengers from two other flights to be processed. On the bright side, my suitcase was already waiting for on the belt after the friendly agent cleared me into Canada, and it was a matter of minutes before I was in the arrivals area.
Old May 9, 2015, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Conclusion

Air Canada

While I'm very familiar with Air Canada's domestic product, this was my first time flying with them internationally. While the hard product on the 787 and 767 are quite different, I was satisfied with my experience on both flights. The staff were efficient and cold at worst, personable and friendly at best. The soft product could use some improvement with regards to catering, yet the IFE continues to impress me. Overall, I'd be perfectly content to book with Air Canada for my future international travels, yet I'm also eager to explore other carriers.

British Airways & Aer Lingus

Both airlines offered comparable experiences on the Belfast<>London route. They were both able to effectively operate a shorthaul service that met my expectations, delivering service that was efficient, on-time, and comfortable. Neither had any features with their product that particularly stood out to me, yet both Aer Lingus and British Airways are well-suited to this type of route in my opinion.

-

All in all, I'm very content with how this trip went. I was able to take flight on the Dreamliner, a longtime goal that I've held; I transited through London Heathrow, another aviation dream; and finally, I was able to travel back to my home country to see the sights that I grew up with. My journey was, for the most part, seamless and problem-free, and I can confidently say that I have no regrets with the travel that I booked. Thank you for taking the time to read through this trip report that I have prepared, I appreciate that you've stuck with it to the end. Again, comments and criticism are more than welcome!

Until next time, Northern Ireland

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.