Wiki Posts
Search

KLM new World Business Class - Amsterdam to New York

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
KLM new World Business Class - Amsterdam to New York

My 2015 New Years Resolution was to stay on top of my trip reports and I reckon 2 months on this one isn't a bad turnaround time!!

New York, New York

It'd had been a while since we'd visited New York and decided a February trip would give us something to look forward to during a cold and wet January in Ireland. Not that New York wasn't cold in February but I can handle anything on vacation time

The ex Dublin business class fares have been pretty good on connecting flights for a while now and we toyed with Virgin (please, just let me spend a day in the clubhouse!!) and KLM/Delta/Air France. KLM/Delta/Air France were coming in 350 euro cheaper than Virgin so the Clubhouse will have to wait another day.

We had our choice of any combination of the 3 airlines with Delta offering the direct route both ways. Preferring to mix things up a bit we decided on KLM on the way out with Aer Lingus Dublin to Amsterdam (economy only as they don't operate short haul business) and KLM from Amsterdam to JFK.

✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:35 am
Original Poster

The first stop was the Aer Lingus lounge in Dublin Airport's Terminal 2. I covered this in a previous flyertalk report here and it was business as usual.

The only thing of note was we faced some debate over whether we were actually on business class tickets and if we should be allowed on the lounge. I was pretty sure we were on biz tickets unless we bought some very expensive economy flights to New York. The emails only stated the booking class, we couldn't get boarding passes at check in and in the end they took our word for it and let us in. Not the best start but we were on our way.

The flight to Amsterdam was in economy and in an hour we were in Schiphol.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:55 am
Original Poster

The flight:

Full report and pics: http://www.thewholeworldisaplaygroun...rdam-new-york/

KLM are in the process of refurbishing their business class cabins with lie flat seats and we had booked a flight on the 747 combi which had the new cabin. Upstairs is a 20 seat business class cabin and downstairs has the business class seats in the nose.

Boarding
The lounge is over 10 minutes from the gate and the gate had it's own security. Although there was a separate business/sky priority queue it was still a lengthy process and we ended up hanging around at the gate for a while even after everyone was through. There were some separate seats for business class and a larger seating area both of which were full but we were fine to plane spot by the window.

Boarding was a bit of a free for all. As soon as pre boarding was announced there was a surge forward and everyone got on at once.

The Cabin
The novelty of going upstairs was too much to resist and we liked the idea of having a business class only cabin so choose 2 seats on the upperdeck. We boarded, climbed the stairs, checked out the cabin and loved it. It was really spacious, the seats looked great and we were ready to settle in and enjoy the flight!

More coming...
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Dinner time

We'd flown just in time for the arrival of the new menu designed by 3 Michelin Star Jonnie Boer and our expectations were high.

The starter was a choice between a cold avocado, tuna and quinoa or a chicory soup. For dinner it was chicken, beef or salmon and for dessert it was fruit, cheese or 2 sweet choices. The starter was outstanding but I found the mains a bit stodgy and casserole like. They tasted nice but were a bit too clunky for my taste. I ordered a cheese plate for dessert and it was really poorly presented. Two crackers in plastic wrapping and two bits of cheese. It was a strange effort after all the fanfare around the new menu.

Fab starter:

Main:

I tried to make it look better for the pic!

Pre Landing Snack
We had a light snack of sandwiches and salad before landing and it was nicely presented and tasted good.

Drinks
I reckon flying is for champagne and stuck to that! They were serving a Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Reserve. The only beer was Heineken and there was a selection of wines and spirits.

Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:43 am
Original Poster

The Seat
I was a big fan of the new seat. It was spacious and comfortable for lounging on. The window seat has extra leg room due to the way the plane curves around and the aisle seat was plenty for the not so tall me! The flat bed was comfortable, no mattress was provided just a duvet and pillow. The seats are perfect when travelling in pairs but the herringbone or BA configuration wins out for privacy. There's a single seat downstairs which would be perfect to nab if travelling alone.

I was really impressed with KLM, the new cabin and the service, much more than I thought I would be. There's a few places it could improve but for the cheapest fare out of Dublin, to me it represented very good value.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Very nice, looks like a great business class offering, thanks for the report (great blog too!)...
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Did you get a "huisje"?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by popoemt
Very nice, looks like a great business class offering, thanks for the report (great blog too!)...
Thanks popoemt!

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Did you get a "huisje"?
Can't believe I forgot about the houses! We gave them to my mum as she collects them but not before checking out the contents! Love the display in the Amsterdam lounge!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
love the new seat and the crockery!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
love the new seat and the crockery!
Thanks Matthew!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Quick round up of the Amsterdam lounge, missed it in between!

Full report and pics: http://www.thewholeworldisaplaygroun...terdam-review/

We had no boarding passes for our AMS to JFK flight and the transfer desk was busy so we headed straight for the lounge. Check in was quick for me but it took them a little while to sort out the husband's boarding pass. They invited us in to sit down while they got it printed.

We grabbed some food, I wasn't crazy on what was on offer but the diet coke fountain sufficed! The lounge is huge but they handle it very well in terms of space and making it feel a little more calm despite the high traffic.

I had the bright idea of a dry January and we celebrated with a glass of the bubbly stuff then grabbed a shower. Shower facilities were nice, very clean and had no wait.

Pics:

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:08 am

I don't fly them much anymore but yes, the upstairs deck on the 747 is a great place to fly. It's like a small private business jet up there; and it looks like KLM has kitted them out nicely.

And yes, that's a pitiful cheese "plate."
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:00 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Why is the champagne so blue, or is your white balance off?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OMGImInPattaya
I don't fly them much anymore but yes, the upstairs deck on the 747 is a great place to fly. It's like a small private business jet up there; and it looks like KLM has kitted them out nicely.

And yes, that's a pitiful cheese "plate."
I feel a little sad for the cheese! That sums up the upperdeck for nicely for me - I only saw the 10 or so others in the cabin and 2 or 3 crew for the whole flight.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agp423
Why is the champagne so blue, or is your white balance off?
There's a lot of blue in the lounge, we were surrounded.

Some blue chairs lurking behind the champagne..

Last edited by ellie_nz; Apr 14, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.