The Trip Report Forum Hall of Fame

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Trip Report Forum Hall of Fame

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Congratulations to SFO777 and his colleagues on doing so well.... If you're up for opulence and bling, they're the best to go for. I thoroughly enjoy all of those TR's and I've read some of SFO777's several times. I also like SFO777's humour.

DanielW is an amazing poster who leaves me in awe. He takes the path less traveled that most of us are too scared to take. Thanks to him we have insight into countries I've wondered about but never been able to see.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
I for one am both grateful to these posters for opening my eyes to premium class travel, and on the other hand, wish to wring their necks for making my nights about finding elusive award space and dealing with lifemiles!!. I am missing eightblack, and matthandy - where is the QF1 update - am doing that sector in 2 months and want to know what I am going to look forward too.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
Originally Posted by FindAWay
I humbly reject both of those reasons.

And yet I've posted 3 different TRs, each of them all at once with no posts from others before my entire TR has been posted. Of course, with the 100-photos per post limit (thankfully up from 20), I post my TRs in logical, divisible chunks (which, I think makes them easier to read anyway).
^
On the contrary, it makes them much more difficult to read. There was one trip report recently that was drug out for over 6 months. How is anyone supposed to keep up with updates when segments are posted over 7+ pages. This makes the reader repeatedly come back, sort through pages and pages, trying to remember what they last read. And driving up clicks.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Congratulations to SFO777 and his colleagues on doing so well.... If you're up for opulence and bling, they're the best to go for. I thoroughly enjoy all of those TR's and I've read some of SFO777's several times. I also like SFO777's humour.

DanielW is an amazing poster who leaves me in awe. He takes the path less traveled that most of us are too scared to take. Thanks to him we have insight into countries I've wondered about but never been able to see.
Agree, SFO777 shows the opulent side of airplanes, hotels, and restaurants and fair play to him for sharing his experiences.

DanielW shows us a side of our world must of us will never experience.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by akersnl
On the contrary, it makes them much more difficult to read. There was one trip report recently that was drug out for over 6 months. How is anyone supposed to keep up with updates when segments are posted over 7+ pages. This makes the reader repeatedly come back, sort through pages and pages, trying to remember what they last read. And driving up clicks.
LOL - I think you totally misunderstood my post and I think we agree. Your example is exactly what I'm saying is NOT necessary.

My entire post was about there NOT being a need for posting over a period of time (your 6-month mention) but, instead, posting all at once (less than an hour). My reference to posting in logical, divisible chunks was in reference to the limit on photos - i.e., TRs with a lot of photos must be more than one post. Click on one of my TRs to see an example "logical, divisible chunks" I'm talking about - they're organized logically and posted sequentially in ~30 minutes.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by akersnl
There is a trick employed that significantly ups the number of views. That is the strategy of posting out the trip report over multiple pages, rather than putting it all up at once. Make no mistake, this is being done on purpose towards a specific goal.
On purpose towards a specific goal?

You got me My goal is to not have one post that took days and days to write, and would be unreadable in its length. Do you want to see one post with potentially hundreds of pics?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
My goal is to not have one post that took days and days to write, and would be unreadable in its length. Do you want to see one post with potentially hundreds of pics?
I think you missed the poster's point (or you are purposely talking past the poster). Posting "at once" does not mean in "one post." Other than live TRs, one can wait until one has written one's thoughts on an entire trip in an email to oneself or in a word document, etc. before making the first post in this forum and then copy and paste the first section of a new TR into the first post of a new TR and immediately post the following sections of the same TR.

Also, there is a 100 picture limit per post in this forum (up from 20 a while ago); so, under the present limitation, there cannot be a "one post with potentially hundreds of pics." However, one can certainly post an entire TR "at once" over 2, 20, 50, etc. posts (like I have 3 different times).

I don't have a problem with folks posting slowly over time (even if their goal is to drive up views and comments); but, that method isn't really necessary.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I'd like to add my voice to those in support of Daniel W deserving special mention. ^

I've also quite enjoyed ironmanjt's reports over the years. ^
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
I honestly don't much care whether reports are posted all at once or over a period of time, but just thank every poster for taking the time to give their views and thoughts (in very entertaining ways) on a wide variety of planes, trains (Seat 2A!) and places.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:30 am

Thanks for the great feedback and compliments guys.

This forum has been a fantastic source of inspiration, ideas and motivation to see and live the amazing and seemingly limitless world we live in.

It has also been given me the opportunity to meet a couple of the intrepid travellers here, ironmanjt and hauteboy. Meeting two very interesting people who have been to 170+ countries has been an experience in itself!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Cool thread. I once lost an entire Sunday afternoon to reading a couple years worth of eightblack TRs, and now I'm about to lose what's left of my Friday night looking up some of the ones mentioned here!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
What a great thread. I've just woken up from my Saturday afternoon nap and read this thread with a cup of tea kindly brought to me in bed by Mr Flyingbee. I'm torn between reading a great newly discovered TR and dragging myself out of bed to do something 'useful' before Master Flyingbee wakes up. Anyway, Baby Flyingbee will be up feeding most of the night so I will have plenty of reading time later.

Thanks to all the TR writers on this forum. I have read some wonderful stuff of all different styles and in particular they have made great middle-of-the-night reading over the last few months. I'm not going to mention any names for fear of omitting one, but the posters above me have it spot on with the names they mention. ^
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm glad that people enjoyed the stats. They don't tell the whole picture of course, as some of you have realised. I suppose what it does highlight is that whenever someone takes the time to put together a TR it's really important to show your appreciation!

As for those people suggesting that writers are deliberately splitting up their reports to gain more views, well I disagree. Putting a TR together is an absolutely huge effort and something that can't really be done all at once. Comments keep people motivated.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Great thread matthandy! I must try harder with my next TR to get into the HoF!

aks120
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by matthandy
As for those people suggesting that writers are deliberately splitting up their reports to gain more views, well I disagree. Putting a TR together is an absolutely huge effort and something that can't really be done all at once. Comments keep people motivated.
Well, if a forum moderator says I "can't" post my next TR all at once, I may have to split my next one up over time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.