Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Trip To DR Congo & Rwanda

Old Apr 3, 15, 6:31 am

Programs: Many
Amazing as usual. I would love to go there. Hopefully soon.
Old Apr 3, 15, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by DanielW View Post
That lens
Old Apr 3, 15, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Daniel - amazing report; loved the gorilla shots. Moved by the rest of the photo tour.
Old Apr 5, 15, 5:25 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Thanks for another great TR - the gorillas and volcano are so beautifully photographed. All was lovely to see, including the foods. I appreciate and enjoy these TRs!
Old Apr 6, 15, 2:17 am
Moderator: Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bodory View Post
Amazing as usual. I would love to go there. Hopefully soon.
Thank you, bodory.

Originally Posted by agp423 View Post
That lens
Yes, was a bit of a mission fitting it into my carry-on!

Originally Posted by canuckshark View Post
Daniel - amazing report; loved the gorilla shots. Moved by the rest of the photo tour.
Thanks, canuckshark. Yes, the Genocide memorials were very sobering, really hard to comprehend what hurt and horror man is capable of inflicting.

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
Thanks for another great TR - the gorillas and volcano are so beautifully photographed. All was lovely to see, including the foods. I appreciate and enjoy these TRs!
Many thanks, gaobest. Have got another TR in the pipeline at the moment.
Old Apr 6, 15, 8:08 pm

Astoundingly great TR. Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 15, 4:15 pm

Silly question, but did you have to get a second Rwandian visa after crossing into Congo?

Rwanda has been high on my radar. After doing Socotra last year it feels like I'm just following you around.
Old Apr 8, 15, 5:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Your trip reports are the best. period.
Old Apr 9, 15, 1:43 am

Programs: AZ CFP, HHonors Gold
Fantastic TR and a moving experience. Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 9, 15, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dickerso View Post
Astoundingly great TR. Thanks.
Thanks, dickerso.

Originally Posted by MastaHanky View Post
Silly question, but did you have to get a second Rwandian visa after crossing into Congo?

Rwanda has been high on my radar. After doing Socotra last year it feels like I'm just following you around.
Yes, I got a second visa for Rwanda. They gave me a transit visa since I was flying out the next day, although it cost the same as a normal visa ($30). Should have checked if there was multi-entry visa's on arrival I guess.

Looks like you were lucky to go to Socotra when you did, doesn't look like they will be getting many more visitors for a while.

Originally Posted by oneworld82 View Post
Your trip reports are the best. period.
Many thanks, oneworld82. Slowly working through the next TR at the moment. Unfortunately no gorilla's but has a peacock and a few giraffes.

Originally Posted by straniero View Post
Fantastic TR and a moving experience. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, straniero.
Old Apr 9, 15, 3:41 pm

What a journey.. These photos are breathtaking, I can't imagine being so close to those gorillas. Hilarious that your first notice of them was a "gorilla fart"! Haha
Old Apr 9, 15, 11:59 pm

I just stumbled upon this thread and I have to say that of the many trip reports I've read in my life, this is the best ever. Thanks for all the amazing detail!
Old Jan 27, 16, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Turkish Gold, Copa Platinum, airberlin Gold
After the West Africa trip report you posted, I went looking for other things you've seen - glad to see someone else chose to see the gorillas on the Congo side And climbed amazing Nyiragongo! One of my top experiences ever, anywhere.

My friend and I went back in 2010, and it was just us.
Glad to see tourism seems to have picked up a little since all the mess with the M13 etc.
Old Jan 27, 16, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldlyKendall View Post
What a journey.. These photos are breathtaking, I can't imagine being so close to those gorillas. Hilarious that your first notice of them was a "gorilla fart"! Haha
Thanks, WorldlyKendall, yes I guess by their foliage rich diet, the gas must be quite frequent.

Originally Posted by mattp1234 View Post
I just stumbled upon this thread and I have to say that of the many trip reports I've read in my life, this is the best ever. Thanks for all the amazing detail!
Many thanks, mattp1234. It was definitely one of the memorable and amazing trips I have ever taken to Africa.

Originally Posted by Tychian View Post
After the West Africa trip report you posted, I went looking for other things you've seen - glad to see someone else chose to see the gorillas on the Congo side And climbed amazing Nyiragongo! One of my top experiences ever, anywhere.

My friend and I went back in 2010, and it was just us.
Glad to see tourism seems to have picked up a little since all the mess with the M13 etc.
Yes, definitely agree about it being such an awesome experience. The gorilla's were amazing too. I read that the other day though that another Virunga ranger had been killed by a poacher.
Old Jan 28, 16, 2:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Turkish Gold, Copa Platinum, airberlin Gold
"Yes, definitely agree about it being such an awesome experience. The gorilla's were amazing too. I read that the other day though that another Virunga ranger had been killed by a poacher. "

Yeah One of my best trips.
I follow the Virunga posts, and there is still a lot of trouble there; the government simply has no real control, and the rangers are probably the only force there (UN in Goma notwithstanding) to do much to protect the animals and resources there. I donate when I can to try to help them.

Search this Thread