Vietnam and Hongkong with CX First and a taxi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam and Hongkong with CX First and a taxi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
You deserve a medal for bravery for traversing Vietnam on the Lunar new year.

Vietnam is an interesting country, some say unspoilt and quaint but unfortunately the infrastructure and toilet-standards are not yet op to snuff. I usually keep an open mind but like you sometimes i am just amazed and flabbergasted, even more when coming of an F flight.

Shame of CX F though, they have been doing some costcutting and standards have slipped, i can't understand everybody's obsession with it but i guess people need a new F product to worship as LH/LX F is now unattainable for most.

Keep up the tripreport, i like your writing style and views.
And just a side question, how much was the six senses cost during the lunar new year?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by HadesNL
And just a side question, how much was the six senses cost during the lunar new year?
It was OK as I booked via Airtours, a German travel-company. We paid 2800 fr 7 nights in a Hilltop Villa with free transfer and 1 hour SPA-Treatment for 2 persons. Virtuoso/ website was over 5000 with less benefits.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I'm not sure how I missed this report, but wow! Sounds like you handled it well; my wife gets carsick easily, so that drive looks like it would've likely been torture for us.

Can't wait to hear about Six Senses. Hope you enjoyed it, you certainly deserve a vacation after that adventure
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I now did the Six Senses Ninh Van Bay report at the Luxury Hotel Forum. You find it here.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Thanks for the trip report!

Just a side note, when travelling F on CX, the Wing lounge is the one to go to as it is recently renovated and has a separate F section. The Pier is probably the oldest CX lounge now. Also you probably should have gotten some tips from the CX sub-forum to maximize the experience.

In CX flights, nearly every time the Chinese dining options are better than the Western options so that is another thing to note.

And for the amenity kit, I thought the new CX Aesop kits is way better than the old Zegna kits. Most amenity kit case are probably about the same with just a famous brand plastered over it. Thus the contents being Aesop makes it much better.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quirrow
Thanks for the trip report!

Just a side note, when travelling F on CX, the Wing lounge is the one to go to as it is recently renovated and has a separate F section. The Pier is probably the oldest CX lounge now. Also you probably should have gotten some tips from the CX sub-forum to maximize the experience.

In CX flights, nearly every time the Chinese dining options are better than the Western options so that is another thing to note.

And for the amenity kit, I thought the new CX Aesop kits is way better than the old Zegna kits. Most amenity kit case are probably about the same with just a famous brand plastered over it. Thus the contents being Aesop makes it much better.
We visited the Wing on our flight home. Our problem was that we thought we hadnt enough time to go to the Wing.....
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One day we booked the Island Hopping experience. It was round about 200 .

In the morning we startet with our private motor boat, our guide and the captain from the resort. On our way they showed us how they catch the baby lobster. We were luck enough to see one.

After it we saw Vinpearl with the Vinpearl Cable Car which is 3311 meters long and 115 meters high. Really impressive.

Our first stop was a protected marine area were we snorkeled for an hour. The marine life was really impressive, but we found that many plastic bags were inside the water. It was relative crowded.

After the first stop we stoped at another place and snorkeled again. The place was very remote and the captain went with us into the water. He was able to dive really deep and got us some nice pictures from the ground.

On our way back we first saw the islands were they collect the Bird Nests. Their is always a guard and you can se the huts were the soldiers live while they collect them in the seasons. Really impressive how they can live on the rocks.

Next we stoped on a floating farm and a floting restaurant. Both nice to see. Doggy was protecting his lobster farm.

Last stop was a beach restaurant were we got Lunch. They put some dishes on our table, unfortunally we coudnt taste everything as it partly contained meat (no choice). It tasted good and was payed by our guide.

It was really a great experience and snorkling and I would do it again every second.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Great trip report. I loved Vietnam, particularly Hanoi.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Great trip report. I loved Vietnam, particularly Hanoi.
Thanks! Sadly I didnt visit Hanoi
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We booked a hiking tour which was a 90 minutes hiking through the forest. I was a kind of a wild walk and really fun!

After a while we came to a view point and were lucky enough to see some longtail monkeys! So cute....

Finally we reached at a remote beach. A boat brought our snorkel equipment and left us for 2 hours. We did some snorkeling and sunbathing.

Our beach:

Snorkeling-pictures!

Really a nice experience!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:51 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Ahh - nothing like travel in Vietnam!

The catering on Turkish Long Haul (longer than their medium haul flights) has improved. They are offering multi course dinners off the trolley and the DO & CO catering is truly wonderful. Of course, it is different than the Asian themes of Cathay but a reasonable alternative nonetheless.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Ahh - nothing like travel in Vietnam!

The catering on Turkish Long Haul (longer than their medium haul flights) has improved. They are offering multi course dinners off the trolley and the DO & CO catering is truly wonderful. Of course, it is different than the Asian themes of Cathay but a reasonable alternative nonetheless.
I guess that Turkish offers the better meals........
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was never so nervous before a flight because I feared that our tickets werent valid any more as we missed our first leg and no online check-in was possible. After we arrived at Cam Rhan Airport I went fast to the Business Class Check In were we got served fast. Fortunally everything was OK and we got our tickets. No daytrip with a taxi!

We went fast trough security and made our way to the lounge. The lounge was relative small and not really what I would call nice. Theirfore they had a good selection of fruits, some breads and drinks. It was relatively full and we were glad to get a seat. We only got some drinks and didnt try the food.

The flight boarded in time. The A321 had 16 Business Class Seats which were conveniant for a 40 minutes flight. If I think about the rubbish they sell as Business Class in Europe it was paradise.

The flight went without problems, we only got a drink. We arrived 5 minutes early. A good flight considering it was domestic!
Old Jun 7, 2015, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Saigon or Ho Chi Minh City is a fascinating city. We were warned that you must be careful as they has big problems with pickpockets. We had fortunally no problems. More dangerous was the traffic as some motorcycles were always ready to knock you down. Unfortunally all shopping centers were closed during our visit because of chinese new year.

Some impressions of our tour:

Post office:

Cathedral:

Opera:

Shopping arcade:

Rex hotel:

City Hall:

Car presentation:

Happy New Year!

Propaganda!

Street scenes:

Cable-salad:

I will do seperate posts for the zoo, the historic museum and the Indpendance Palace
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We first had no intention to visit the zoo and botanical garden, as we cant stand to see animals in small cages and bad conditions. We had the problem, that we wanted to visit the historical museum but it wasnt open at this time and we had to wait for nearly a hour. The zoo is near by and we decided to give it a try because the lack of alternatives.

During our visit the zoo was very crowded, it seems to be one of the main attractions of Saigon. The habitats werent great but not disastrous. Some zoos in Germany dont have much better habitats, but of course their would be room for improvements.They have some white tigers and the usual flamingos, bears and crocodiles. The least had a lot of trash inside their habitat.

The botanical garden was not too great, a little bit wired

I still woudnt do a visit if I dont must kill time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.