Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A tale of gluttony and first Firsts; BA F A380, CX F, QR F A380, HKG Lounge Crawl

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A tale of gluttony and first Firsts; BA F A380, CX F, QR F A380, HKG Lounge Crawl

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

We had a scheduled 2-day stopover in Frankfurt.

I originally planned to stay at the Radisson Blu Frankfurt in downtown, but the TripAdvisor reviews weren't very positive. Furthermore, the RB Frankfurt wasn't in walking distance of any major attractions. Unless you count banks as major attractions.

I noticed there was a highly rated Radisson in nearby historic spa-town, Wiesbaden. Happily, Wiesbaden is easily accessible from the Frankfurt airport by the regional S-Bahn, which cost about 4 Euros one way. What a bargain!

As a Carlson Gold member, I was upgraded to a junior suite at checkin. Thankfully, the Radisson Blu Schwarzer Bock had just finished a complete renovation a few days before our arrival.

On the S-Bahn to Wiesbaden.

The lovely and historic Radisson Blu Schwarzer Bock. Easy 1 mile walk from the Wiesbaden Hauptbahnhof.

Recently renovated junior suite.

Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

This TR wouldn't be complete without pictures of the tasty Super Buffet Breakfast the Radisson provided us each morning at their Restaurant Capricorne!

Not the best Super Buffet Breakfast I've eaten, since no made-to-order omelettes for instance, but it definitely filled the spot.

First trip to the buffet line

Europeans and their multivitamin juice. Mmmm.

Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

I highly recommend visiting Wiesbaden if you're in need of a short stopover near Frankfurt.

Charming, clean little town with a rich historical background, excellent spas (if you stay at the Schwarzer Bock in particular), very walkable with great food options- oddly many Asian restaurants. Also not a lot of tourists that I could see, and a few big Christmas markets.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
We had a scheduled 2-day stopover in Frankfurt.

I originally planned to stay at the Radisson Blu Frankfurt in downtown, but the TripAdvisor reviews weren't very positive. Furthermore, the RB Frankfurt wasn't in walking distance of any major attractions. Unless you count banks as major attractions.

I noticed there was a highly rated Radisson in nearby historic spa-town, Wiesbaden. Happily, Wiesbaden is easily accessible from the Frankfurt airport by the regional S-Bahn, which cost about 4 Euros one way. What a bargain!

As a Carlson Gold member, I was upgraded to a junior suite at checkin. Thankfully, the Radisson Blu Schwarzer Bock had just finished a complete renovation a few days before our arrival.

On the S-Bahn to Wiesbaden.

The lovely and historic Radisson Blu Schwarzer Bock. Easy 1 mile walk from the Wiesbaden Hauptbahnhof.

Recently renovated junior suite.

I guess they forgot to renovate the 1980s phone on the desk, in stylish yellow

Great TR!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AYellowBelly
I guess they forgot to renovate the 1980s phone on the desk, in stylish yellow

Great TR!
Thanks AYellowBelly! Need to keep some vestiges of the old, I imagine. Or maybe they plum ran out of money at the end, haha.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

The Christmas Markets in Wiesbaden were centered around the Wiesbaden City Palace.

Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

For dinner, I stopped by the cheap, but very delicious Curry Manufaktur. Noticed all the locals going here to eat. Great choice!

I guess they really like their brats in Wiesbaden, haha.

Wandered around afterwards

Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:41 am

I am indeed suggesting that the catering on the A380 is different from the 777. It seems the A380 (at least the LHR-IAD flight) had a special 5-course tasting menu that is unique only to the A380. I thought the special menu was light and crafted nicely. Great wine pairing too. You'll just have to wait until I post pix from that segment!

I believe BA 216 from IAD-LHR also has this tasting menu, but I am not positive.

If I were to take BA 216 in the future (and if it also featured the tasting menu), I would do Concorde Dining Room first, then 5-course tasting menu, then sleep/movies, then breakfast.
Thanks for the info! Looks like I will hopefully be doing a lot of eating. And don't forget "second breakfast" (Hobbit style) in the Concorde Breakfast Room, right?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Thanks for the info! Looks like I will hopefully be doing a lot of eating. And don't forget "second breakfast" (Hobbit style) in the Concorde Breakfast Room, right?
Of course! But I also spring for the third breakfast in the Galleries First Lounge.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:32 am
Original Poster

After our 2 day stopover in Wiesbaden, we hopped on the S9 back to FRA Airport.

The CX J/F lounge in FRA was most disappointing. No separate F section. Limited food selection.

Dining room with light lunch selections. Ended up not eating in the lounge to save room for CX F flight.

Well, it's at least better than the OS J lounge in VIE (which didn't even have Danish cookies, haha).
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
Fantastic photos!

Love the BA CCR Cabana photo showing the beautiful wiring around the TV screen. Pretty much sums up T5 for me!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Excellent report so far!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Salad?! You don't win friends with salad!
^ What a great Simpsons quote. Wonderful TR and photos, I look forward to the rest!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 000
Fantastic photos!

Love the BA CCR Cabana photo showing the beautiful wiring around the TV screen. Pretty much sums up T5 for me!
Thanks 000! hahaha.

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Excellent report so far!
Thanks oneworld82! Actually it was one of your TRs that inspired me to visit Taipei.

Originally Posted by Madone59
^ What a great Simpsons quote. Wonderful TR and photos, I look forward to the rest!
An e-cookie for you Madone59, fellow Simpsons enthusiast!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

The long-awaited moment. Would CX F live up to its reputation?

FRA-HKG
CX 288; 777-300
Seat 1A

Initial impressions were certainly very favorable.

I did not realize that there was such a substantial dividing wall between 1A/2A and the rest of the cabin. Definitely sit on the other side if traveling as a couple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.