Wiki Posts
Search

Babymoon – OS 763/TK A320/LH 748i in J IAD-VIE-ATH-JTR-ATH-IST-FCO-FRA-IAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW Companion, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Hertz Gold
Babymoon – OS 763/TK A320/LH 748i in J IAD-VIE-ATH-JTR-ATH-IST-FCO-FRA-IAD

This trip report is overdue and I actually wrote half of it about 9 months ago, but, as so many of you know, once a little one enters your life, priorities tend to change! I hope you enjoy!

Mrs. Jumpseat and I found out in early October 2013 that our first was cooking in the oven and estimated to arrive in early June. This knowledge, combined with the announcement of United’s mileage devaluation, the fact that my travel forecast reflected the old MileagePlus account would cross over the 200,000 mark at the end of 2013, and my longing desire to fly in premium class cabins on foreign carriers (we’re based out of WAS) resulted in only one question, “Where do you want to go honey?”

Mrs. Jumpseat has always had her eye on Greece and in particular, the island of Santorini. I thought, great, I’ve never been and this would make a wonderful carefree trip before we have a little one to look after. Scheduling conflicts and Mrs. Jumpseat’s quickly approaching EDC (Estimated Date of Confinement – love this medical term) drove the dates of the trip, which would turn out to be mid-March. I’d read up on traveling to Santorini and other Greek isles during the month of March and learned that weather can be hit or miss and thus keeps many of the tourists and the island’s seasonal inhabitants away, providing the feeling of an island all to one’s self. Having comfortable weather in Istanbul on the same dates the year prior (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...break-fun.html), we decided to chance it and make Santorini our first destination followed by Athens and Rome.

Knowing Mrs. Jumpseat would be approaching her 7th month of pregnancy at the time of travel and, as I must admit, for my own selfish enjoyment, finding saver awards in Business class with fully lie-flat seats was a must, even if it resulted in added connections. With the devaluation only mildly increasing United’s Business class redemption rate I wanted to burn the miles on European carriers before their Business class redemption rates increased dramatically through the MileagePlus program (from 50k to 70k each way, IIRC). For the dates needed and originating from IAD this led me to Austrian, Lufthansa or Turkish. Seeing as how Turkish frequently and unpredictably utilizes aircraft on the IAD-IST route with angled lie-flat seats, they were eliminated (though we would later visit IST anyways).

I was able to find availability on the dates needed in both directions on Austrian’s (OS) 763 and Lufthansa’s (LH) 748i. I opted for the OS 763 on the outbound with the hopes of getting a little extra sleep due to the extra hour in scheduled flight time to VIE compared to the IAD-FRA barely 7 hour route. I booked the LH 748i for the return, opting for the connection in FRA to try the new jumbo with new Business class hard product in lieu of UA’s BF 763 (bleh) FCO-IAD direct. I could make all the desired destinations and connections work individually on United’s website, but not all together. So, I called the Premier Priority Desk and a helpful agent had all the desired destinations and connections confirmed on one itinerary within an hour and, as the agent detected I was having trouble making the routing work online, he waived the telephone booking fee (with literally no coercing)^. This resulted in our routing of IAD-VIE-ATH-JTR-ATH-IST-FCO-FRA-IAD, with the open-jaw being in JTR. I booked a one-way ticket for each of us JTR-ATH in Y on Aegean for 54 euro, or roughly $75, total, for both. Not a steep price to pay to pick up the rest of the itinerary, IMO. The total price of both tickets for the main itinerary was 200,000 United miles and $411.60 in taxes in fees.

There are few ways to get from downtown DC to Dulles affordably for a long trip. The 5A bus picks up at L’Enfant Plaza on D and 7th Street SW just outside the entrance to the metro station and costs $6.00 per person each way. The trip is scheduled to take right at an hour, making two stops along the way in Rosslyn and at the Herndon-Monroe Park & Ride. It runs every half hour during the week and every hour on the weekends in both directions.
Untitled by jumpseat18, on Flickr

The load was heavy today and after leaving some folks still waiting to board in Rosslyn, the driver radioed in for back-up, shut the door and pulled away. This is the downside to the bus and why I would recommend leaving considerable time to arrive at the airport if taking the 5A; I have no idea when those folks left at the Rosslyn stop made it to Dulles or if they just had to wait for the next scheduled bus to arrive (approx. 45 mins later).

After one more stop our 12:30PM departure bus was right on schedule arriving at Dulles at 1:30PM (as a data point, on the return we would take a cab home from Dulles; it was $65 and a 45 minute ride…We should’ve taken the bus).

No line at the Austrian Business class check-in counter and since our outbound IAD-VIE-ATH-JTR itinerary included an Olympic Airlines (OA) flight ATH-JTR, we decided not to roll the dice by not checking any bags outbound. We just carried on our one TravelPro Crew 7 and a backpack. Although our TravelPro was right at the carry-on limits (maybe even over), we didn’t get any pushback from any Austrian crew. This made for easy check-in and within a couple minutes of furnishing our passports we had our passports for IAD-VIE-ATH (I’d already checked us in online and printed our boarding passes for ATH-JTR on OA). Onward to the Lufthansa Senator Lounge!

…But wait, one more roadblock before the real party begins. Dulles security can be a pain in the neck sometimes. We used the Business class fast track to avoid some of the line, but it was still a 10 minute wait get to the TSA boarding pass and ID checker, who just wanted to chat (part of the screening?!), and then another 15 minutes to get to the nude vision screeners and bag scanners.

Finally, onward!

The IAD LH Senator Lounge is the best domestic lounge Mrs. Jumpseat and I have visited.

Our bird

And our return chariot parked next door

Boarding straight from the Senator Lounge was a very nice touch

IAD-VIE
OS 94
Boeing 767-300
Business Class (I)
5:50PM - 8:45AM

I found these seats to be pretty enjoyable.

Mrs. Jumpseat catching a few ZZZ's...

Breakfast looked decent

But the eggs were pretty overcooked. Coffee was good though as they have a gourmet coffee menu.

A smooth sunrise touchdown at VIE ended a most pleasant 7:52 wheels-up time. My only complaint about the flight, other than the overcooked eggs, is that I felt the Austrian crew was just a little cold in their service. Not offering refills on drinks, "please, thank you", etc. However, anytime I asked for refills or anything else, I was provided it, so I really can't complain too much.

A shot of our bird at VIE

Pleasant *G lounge at VIE

A sea of narrow body Airbus

VIE-ATH
OS 801
A320
Business Class (I)
10:20AM-1:30PM

Our bird

Typical Intra-Europe Business Class

Breakfast

A short time at the Aegean lounge in ATH (sorry for the blurry pic)

Nice spread inside, sorry for the lack of pictures, though Mrs. Jumpseat made a face at the smell due to the smoking area contained within the lounge

After she justifiably said "I'm done with the smoke lounge" we headed down to our gate (which had nothing interesting to note about it) to kill time and wait for our puddle jump to Santorini.

ATH-JTR
Olympic Air (OA) 6352
de Havilland Dash-8-400
Economy (X)
3:30PM-4:20PM

Mrs. Jumpseat and I were pretty beat at this point in our travels so not many pictures on this flight, but a nice approach into JTR

Next up a cold 3 nights in deserted Santorini...

Last edited by Jumpseat18; Jan 22, 2015 at 5:39 pm Reason: update
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Mrs. Jumpseat and I picked up our rental at Hertz and headed for our hotel, the 160 Thea.

Now, I was drawn to the 160 Thea for the gorgeous views and the fact that every single room came with its own hot tub. The fact that it was about 50* and gusting to 30mph made the hot tub all the more important. Due to hotel construction there were only 4 rooms in the entire hotel available and 3 of the 4 had functioning hot tubs. We were assigned the room with the broken hot tub. I brought it up to the hotel attendant (who was filling in for the regular person who was out of pocket due to a family emergency) immediately upon check in. He inspected and said that I could use any of the other tubs on either side of our room as no one would be checking in to those rooms during our stay. Okay, cool. The first night, no problem I used the other tub. The second day, all rooms were checked into by mid-morning, leaving us with just our own cold tub. On top of that, the power went out in our room that evening around 7PM for the remainder of the evening, with no staff present to report to and no phone to call out. Obviously disgruntled, the next morning, I was all but threatening over the lack of amenities I paid for. By the time we returned in the evening the hotel attendant had moved us to the suite room with functioning tub for the night and given us a fresh bottle of wine. OK, doesn't quite make up for the inconvenience and lost chill time, but I'm cool with that. The below pictures are a mix of the suite and our first room.

The Suite

Hotel Security

Hotel construction workers

On to some touring in the chilly weather, it was really quite pleasant to have the island nearly all to ourselves - I can only imagine how overrun it is in the summer!

Lunch

Stairway to Heaven?

Highly recommend grabbing a bite to eat at Salt and Pepper in Fira, one of the best meals on our trip.

On our last fully day in Santorini we decided to splurge on a sailboat tour of the caldera. What a treat! The tour was on a beautiful 46 foot catamaran run through Spiridakos Yacht Cruises which is typically occupied by 8-12 guests. Well, being March, Mrs. Jumpseat and I were the only two guests. For 120 euro per head, a private driver provided round trip transportation from our hotel to our now private yacht 5 hour cruise. When we arrived at the harbor, the pampering began and never stopped. We were outnumbered by our crew 3 to 2 and, oh yeah, I forgot to mention all you can eat all you can drink was included. With Mrs. Jumpseat on the DL with a baby in the oven, the crew kept my glass full the entire trip. This was a highlight of the entire trip.

Immaculate condition

Very friendly Italian crew

Luckily we had some of the best weather of our stay in Santorini that day, though when sailing into the wind it was still pretty chilly.

One of the best meals of our trip grilled fresh right on the boat by the crew

Fantastic

With the winds at our stern and gusting to 30, we were making 7 knots with just the jib!

After chilling in the Suite at 160 Thea on the final night, we rose in the morning to head back to Athens for a couple days. As JTR was the open jaw I paid for JTR-ATH at 27 euro per person on Aegean Air.

JTR-ATH
A 3355
A320
Economy (P)
11:15AM - 12:00PM

Pleasant flight with mints being handed out prior to departure and beverage service on this 28 minute wheels-up flight, unlike most NA carriers that phone it in due to "short duration"

Ship watching on approach to ATH

Greeting representative at ATH

A little thin though..

After an uneventful light rail ride downtown we checked into the Hilton Athens and explored for a couple nights...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:42 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
very nice TR so far! food looks delicious and cannot wait to see the rest!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:37 am
Original Poster

The Hilton Athens is quite pleasant, with a great executive lounge affording views of the Acropolis at sunset. Though, the main sign could use a little work...

With just a day and a half in Athens (which was really the appropriate amount of time to just see the highlights) we dropped our bags and headed out for some touring.

The running man right outside the Hilton, supposedly a relic from the '04 Olympics

Tomb of the unknown soldier

Pretty heavy police presence during our visit

A nice lunch

Watching a show

Back at the Hilton Exec lounge, we took in some hors d'oeuvres and drinks while watching the sunset.

We then went out for a delicious dinner and some night walking.

Can't get enough Greek salad, peppers, and whatever the fried cheese with honey is called.

The dogs really seem to rule the streets around here..

The next day we did a little bit more touring before taking the light rail back to ATH.

The national gardens were very pretty

We loved all the Athens dogs.

Just waiting to cross...

One of our favorite things to do in any destination is sample the street food and Athens doesn't disappoint. These delicious gyros were only 2 euro each sold from a whole in the wall near the market.

Next up, Turkish A320 Business Class, my favorite *G lounge, and on to Rome...
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:59 am

Great TR so far...Santorini has always been on the SO's list as well...maybe next year!

PS. Those gyros look amazing!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by bmrisko
Great TR so far...Santorini has always been on the SO's list as well...maybe next year!

Santorini is simply stunning, one of our stops on a 12 night cruise from Rome last year.

Great trip report 👍
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Back at ATH after an easy light rail ride from downtown we made our way to security and this time visited the Senator lounge in lieu of the smoky Aegean lounge.

Our A320 pulling unto the gate

Now, as some *A folks may point out, Aegean offers nonstop flights from Athens to Rome, but I chose to fly Turkish for two reasons. 1) I was able to visit the *G lounge in IST the previous year and just had a blast eating and drinking for nearly two hours straight; and 2) I wanted to chance getting an A320 that had actual business class seats instead of the typical intra-europe middle seat blocked out business just to try it and lone behold our ATH-IST flight did not disappoint.

ATH-IST
TK 1850
A320
Business Class (I)
2:50PM - 4:15PM

Our Captain, with an excellent mustache

Much more space than typical NA domestic First

With significant recline
Untitled by
jumpseat18, on Flickr

A shot of economy

Nice PDB in actual glass

Beautiful short flight

Menu and meal service on a wheels-up 55 minute flight?!

A very pleasant flight put us in IST on time and Mrs. Jumpseat and I made a bee line for our favorite *G lounge

What a treat this place is and they'd expanded significantly from just a year prior, opening up a whole new lower level.

Live flight tracking on the big screen

You can work on your swing...

Or, my personal favorite, work on your electric racing skills...

And did I even mention the food?!

OK, maybe I indulged a little too much?....Nahhhh

There's even a spot for the kids

Okay, after enough fun in the lounge we headed down to our bus gate for our flight to Rome.

IST-FCO
TK 1361
A320
Business Class (I)
9:15PM - 10:50PM

As soon as we boarded though I realized we were 1 for 2 on real business class today as this A320 had the typical intra-europe configuration. Bummer. Oh well, 1 for 2 beats 0 for 2.

Still better than average legroom with a fold down footrest under the seat in front.

Again, nice PDB

Some more Raki

A very friendly crew kept the drinks coming

A couple of really pleasant flights and an excellent stay in the Turkish lounge had me really glad that we spent the extra time traveling that day. Sometimes its just about the journey..

Upon arrival at FCO our prearranged driver quickly greeted us and transported us to the Albergo del Sole Al Pantheon Rome. Though, our chariot wasn't quite the Mercedes advertised...

Next up, Rome.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Thsnks for sharing and congrsts on the baby
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I love your wife's boots!

Okay, great TR too.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

We arrived at Sole al Pantheon around midnight, yet the front desk was expecting us and escorted us to our very spacious room, located in the hotel's auxiliary building.

Classic European elevator

Great location and view

The next morning we started our exploring

A seriously short bus

Bouncer at a local boutique

Our hotel was right in the heart of things just set off of the Pantheon square. We frequently got coffee or dessert and just people watched.

Great dinner

Heading back from the Colosseum there were protests surrounding the annexation of Crimea

The Vatican

Mrs. Jumpseat at Mass

Stunning artwork

Can't even stay away from the statues of dogs..

When we asked the concierge for a nice dinner recommendation it turned out there was an excellent restaurant directly next door to our hotel, I wish I could remember the name of it, a great recommendation indeed!

More nighttime wandering after dinner

The best gelato spot we found

One final nighttime picture of the Pantheon to wrap up our time in Rome

A very early wake-up call for our 6:20AM flight to FRA had our driver at the hotel around 330AM

At least it was a Benz this time!

Literally no line for *G and Business Class

But for everyone else?

We hung out in the contract lounge the Lufthansa check-in agent provided passes for, which was bare bones, sorry for no pictures. But at this hour, I wasn't much in the mood for pampering anyways, just wanted a seat to close my eyes.

FCO-FRA
LH 243
A 321
Business Class (I)
6:20AM - 8:25AM

Our bird

Typical intra-Europe Business class, Mrs. Jumpseat and I were lucky enough to have the bulkhead ^.

Standard breakfast

Easy morning flight to FRA and a smooth touchdown

We headed for the Senator lounge to kill time, which did not disappoint as they typically have great offerings and today was no exception.

The always great plane spotting at FRA

I was elated to see the 748 at our gate as LH has been randomly utilizing 744s even when the 748 was scheduled to run and I definitely wanted to test out the new LH business class with full lie-flats!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

FRA-IAD
LH 418
Boeing 747-800i
Business Class (I)
12:25PM - 4:20PM

Main floor Business Cabin

I opted for the upper deck just for the fun of it even though I'd read the downstairs is typically quieter due to the position in the fuselage.

We took 83 K & H, just in front of the exit door, which were very nice seats.

Great storage

Rollout on 25 Center

Nice live views from the IFE

I have to mention the folks across the aisle who, must have either been on their first flight or were total boneheads. They kept the crew busy nearly the entire flight with requests from operating their seat, to working the IFE, to tasting every wine on the menu and selecting none, to asking to see the cockpit because they wanted to understand how the pilot flies the thing?!?! But wait for it... here's the best one...The gentleman, after using the bathroom, was convinced there was something wrong with the toilet, and thus the safety of the aircraft, he told the crew "the toilet made a very strange noise that was not normal and I know what normal sounds like!" ...Alright dude, you're starting to piss me off, sit down and shut up. The crew did a great job of calming the man down and treating the couple with respect throughout the flight. I'd pay to see the reaction of a typical UA crew in a similar situation.

Capt. Phillips time

Why yes, I'll start with a beer

This beef was less than sensational, but I suppose its a typical J class meal

Tasty dessert with some cognac the attendant insisted I try...Pull my arm..

The only time of the flight our seat mates across the aisle quieted down

I went snooping

A very smooth flight bright us to a snow covered Dulles as a late winter storm shut down the government just the day prior. A truly pleasant flight with a great J hard product and what I felt to be a much warmer crew than that of Austrian. LH was great all around and I would definitely fly this business product again given the choice.

A row on our exit

Our bird at IAD

And catching a shot of where our journey began just 10 days prior..

These people movers are ridiculous, I really hope they get rid of them soon..

After a long wait in customs we found that our single checked bag had somehow ended up in Munich instead of Frankfurt...After stopping by to see the baggage representative she let us know they would deliver as soon as they could..

Thinking that we wouldn't want to deal with the bus on our way home we opted for the Washington Flyer cab. This turned out to be a stupid move as it was only marginally faster and $50 more expensive.

To our surprise the LH baggage agent was true to her word and our bag was delivered to our door that night, undamaged!

A great ending to a great Babymoon! I hope you've enjoyed reading!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Looks like a great trip, and seems like you're a lucky a guy! A baby, and what I'm assuming is a gorgeous wife (behind the blur of course ).
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Congrats on the baby and thanks for the TR :-)
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
very nice TR so far! food looks delicious and cannot wait to see the rest!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by bmrisko

Thanks! And those gyros still make me salivate...

Originally Posted by mike&co
Santorini is simply stunning, one of our stops on a 12 night cruise from Rome last year.

Great trip report 👍
Thanks! We had a blast in Santorini, though we promised ourselves we'd come back in the summer as the off to shoulder season is pretty dead around there. Mostly just folks doing renovations for the prime team season. Which sort of gave a more authentic feel of what the islanders are really like before being overrun by tourists.

Originally Posted by TyphoonRuby
Thsnks for sharing and congrsts on the baby
Thanks!

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I love your wife's boots!

Okay, great TR too.
Haha, thanks!

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Looks like a great trip, and seems like you're a lucky a guy! A baby, and what I'm assuming is a gorgeous wife (behind the blur of course ).
Haha, thank you. And, yes, I am a lucky guy and she is beautiful behind the blur!

Originally Posted by injian
Congrats on the baby and thanks for the TR :-)
Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:50 am

Congrats on the baby. Very nice trip report. Good to see some offseason pictures as I might make a similar trip later this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.