Immigrating 6,700 miles with United First/Business First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Immigrating 6,700 miles with United First/Business First

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:38 am
Community Director Emerita

I'm fascinated and hope that you continue to post. First, I'm impressed that you moved. We have a friend who has lived someplace she dislikes her entire life. There are lots of tentacles that keep her where she is - parents, now children with grandchildren. And yet she hates the location. So I think it's terrific that you've thought thru your life and have taken this step.

Second, I know nothing about moving to Israel. I had no idea that there was actually a financially supported relocation plan. I've read about lots of flights, so skimmed over that lightly. But I was fascinated about the Russian meet and greet, and the reimbursement of the taxi driver. These aspects of your report really make it stand out for me.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta, HH, Hyatt, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold
Best of luck on a smooth transition to your new home!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:19 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
What an interesting report! Thank you for sharing. Your writing style is refreshingly candid, but laced with dry wit as well.

Good luck with the move - and congratulations for having the guts to do it. I hope Israel is all you wish it to be.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:52 am

What a cool report. While I'm not a part of the same culture as you and thus can't identify as closely as some other posters, I must say that what you are doing is incredibly commendable. If only more of us had the motivation and faith needed to take that big jump and live our dreams rather than playing it safe with the status quo...
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Indeed there is a lot of courage involved. But my family is spread out among other continents, I've travelled to Israel many times, so it's not completely overwhelming.

I was secretly pleased with myself for having an entirely coherent Hebrew conversation with a woman at the pharmacy.

I "blew it" both literally and figuratively. Although I'd purchased converters, I managed to wreck my little Nespresso machine, my laser printer, and my little towel warmer. The latter two actually filled the room with smoke! So much for the clever 220 converters. (My friends asked if I had accidentally packed a flare gun inside my printer.) Oh well. A few hundred bucks in replacement products isn't that big of a deal.

The towel warmer is hardly necessary here. An identical printer was mysteriously $50 cheaper in Israel, and the Nespresso machine was easily replaced.

Meanwhile, I still need to set up a bank account. Jet lag left me asleep until noon, and the banks close at 2:00. And I'm waiting for someone to go with me to make the cell phone transition. Cell phone contracts and bills are unthinkably complicated in the US; and I've been advised to take a native friend with me to the cell phone carrier.

My belongings have arrived by Israel post, but the notification is unbelievably confusing. In fact; it doesn't even say where the post office is. As a new immigrant, I do not have to pay duty, but I think I have to go to the post office, present my paperwork, and then wait some unthinkable amount of time for them to decide not to charge me $1,500. I'm hoping to find a friend to help me with that one.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
a very interesting and entertaining TR. Having a best friend as adorable as Pancho shows very good judgment on your (and his) part. I also hope you enjoy your new home and life (I live in SEA - after moving 20 times - and love it, so it's always fun to read about the differences in how people view places)
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Thanks so much for this report. My wife and I are very seriously discussing making aliyah within the next 1-2 years for many of the same reasons that you and others have cited.

Mazel tov, and best of luck in your new life!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Zcat18, I do hope to see you and your wife here soon. There are plenty of resources through Nefesh b'Nefesh, but the most useful advice has come from friends.

A new laser printer was shockingly cheap, and the coffee maker was easily replaced.

two friends of friends explained how to get a phone SIM, and it's already in the mail.

One step at a time...
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
In the mail?! You could have gone to any of the local shops and gotten one set up in minutes.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

NYTA,
Indeed. I think I can buy a SIM card downstairs! My friends all use Golan, so followed their lead. An Austrian/American friend thought it was hilarious that I didn't just buy a SIM card from just about anywhere
Kol tuv.
-mats.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Mazel tov. I loved Israel on my birthright trip and can't wait to go back with my wife.... She converted.

Looking forward to the rest of your extended trip report.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
You can buy a golan sim at "Bug" stores.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Best wishes on your new life! Great TR and great story. I only wish my heritage included a place where they would reimburse my airfare in the event I ever decided to move there!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

NYTA,
Oh wow. I was just at BUG. No big deal. The SIM card will be here around Monday. Thanks for letting me know.

KevinDTW,
Yes, it is a unique situation. I tell Americans with amazement about the subsidies provided to me for moving here. Of course I'll make about 1/3 of my US salary, incur much higher taxes, and confront a vastly higher cost of living. But I didn't move here to get rich.

Many Israelis find it ridiculous that an American would move here voluntarily. But many others understand the appeal. Most of my American friends have expressed their combined jealousy and pride.

I'm still really jet lagged, but enjoyed Shabbat dinner with some family friends, and enjoyed a nice walk with Pancho afterwards. It feels good to enjoy the warm weather, and to see everyone outside with their children, dogs, and significant others.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Kol ha kavod to you. My sister made aliyah over three decades ago..so I think that is considered successful. It's definitely a quality of life decision. We spend a lot of time there and she still returns,so distance has not separated us, and instead made us more appreciative and blessed for the time we get together. I wish you all the success and savlanut paience at navigating the daily life concerns. AACI I believe has resources as well to help. I know several people from our community that have made ali yah this year. The right time is the right time for you, and not anyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.